Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Colorado that do not fit into any other Colorado sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:13 PM

Question Restitution Hearing / Different amounts listed - help?!

Hi Everyone!

I'm sorry if this is an "obvious" answer type question, but I'm having a hard time understanding what's going on with my loved one/inmate. He's having a hearing because they say he is behind on his restitution (or that he hasn't been paying it?? They take out the 20% and he has a job. I know they pay them next to nothing, but how can they punish him if he can't pay more?) He spoke to his case manager and she gave him a total restitution owed amount that's almost double what the Colorado judicial site lists (and I made sure to put in "all" under counties so that it would search statewide). Has anyone else been in this situation? Or does anyone know why the numbers would be so drastically different? He says they are threatening to take away his "good time" earned and maybe delay his possible parole date. Can anyone help me to understand how this works and if there's anything I can do?

Thank you so much!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Donation Award 

I have never heard of this happening. I think the Colorado site should be the correct amount owed.
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse1 For This Useful Post:
WishingTree (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 PM

Thank you! I gave him those numbers and he had his hearing today. He said that his case manager had been making up false numbers and that the guy in the hearing had the same numbers as the state site. Supposedly they have reassessed his amount owed each month to $400, but he only makes $50 per month (and I understand that's a very good paying job in the system). He's had health issues and so his family and I have been trying to put money on his books (that's been another confusing and frustrating situation! Can they really deny someone surgery if they have severe arm fractures/have lost feeling in their arm? And then can they deny rehabilitation if we don't pay more money? I still am confused as to why we have to pay for his surgery--which they keep "rescheduling". He says it's because they claim they aren't responsible for him breaking his arm (he was in a fight), but I thought they had to provide medical care if it's a serious injury regardless of ability to pay? It's scary to not understand what's going on! I keep finding info that seems to say that it should all be covered, but then why all the money requests?) He says they will now take all money up to $400 that gets put into his account for restitution vs. the 20% they took before. He's saying he won't be able to get any hygiene items now (that they only get toilet paper for free) and that he won't have enough food. He also says he can't afford stamps (which really makes me question what's going on??). I know I'm maxed out. I really can't give any more without putting myself in a dangerous financial situation and his family has given so much as well. I don't know what happens from here? He's super upset! Has anyone else been here who can help? Or does anyone have advice for this kind of situation? I'm feeling pretty lost! I'm having a hard time getting what he tells me to line up with information/rules that I'm finding online--I'm really worried!!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Donation Award 

This doesn't sound right to me. I know they take the 20% from earnings and money put on his books. I am not aware of a monthly amount that must be paid back just the 20% until the restitution, fees and fines are paid off then I think it drops to 10% forever while they are incarcerated to pay for their cost of care. I think there may be a percentage for child support also. You can track the amount paid each month by looking at the balance on the state's website.
As far as surgery I have never heard of a family having to pay for something that happens while they are in the state's custody- who are you supposed to pay this to? You can find all of the ARs here (including medical ARs):
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdoc/policies-1

The AR for restitution is there also. After reading through it it appears that the director of DOC can issue an order to withhold up to 99% of their money but not a monthly amount to be paid back. Read through it and see if it helps you understand. They also get a print out of their account balances each month. You can ask him to send it to you.

They always have three meals per day. They may not like the food but they do get 3 meals.

You can call the facility and speak to his case manager. I have never done it but I know you can.

Good luck and I hope this helps a bit.
WishingTree (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 08:23 PM

Thank you SO much!! I really appreciate the links and support!

He's been having me and his family deposit the money straight to his books for the surgery (he said it would be $900 in co-pays or they were refusing to do it). That didn't sound right to me then and still doesn't now. And now his family is trying to pay the extra $400 per month. Before all of this, he said they were making him pay $400 per month for medication (that was non optional for him to take). I'm really questioning all of this and so far I haven't known where to go to track financial information. He's like my brother, but I'm not technically family so I also haven't known whether or not they would release his information to me. It's been really overwhelming, so thank you again for the help!!
Old 03-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Donation Award 

You are very welcome. I think (just from my experience) that he may be taking advantage of you an his family. Nobody in there needs that kind of money on their books. My loved one has had medical procedures and he never asked for more money to be put on his books. They have a very small fee they pay when they see medical. It sounds to (I may be way off base) that maybe he owes money for something, maybe gambling debt, maybe being shaken down by other inmates, maybe something else but that is way more money then we have ever put on his books at one time. They are limited to how much and or how many things they can purchase from Canteen and it is nowhere near that amount. Maybe you can mention to his family to have them ask him to send a copy of his statement that he gets each month. Have them call his case manager. This does not sound right to me at all.
WishingTree (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 09:07 PM

Thank you again!! I'm sorry it took me a bit to respond--you're correct. He finally admitted that he's been paying "rent" each month. He made it sound like he's being targeted and that if he doesn't pay this amount each month of "safe money", then he will get hurt. He's been saying things like he sold his warm clothes, radio, TV.

I hate it!! Of course it makes me feel horrible and terrified for his safety! But he says he can't tell anyone or he'll be hurt worse and that there's nothing I can do for him in terms of getting real help. Essentially pay up is the only option! His family and I have given him thousands of $ combined and we're both maxed out. I don't know what to do or how to "help"? I sent him all the AR report numbers, but I don't know anymore what's really going on medically. I want to believe he's telling me the truth, but it doesn't make sense. I have to wonder how much is for "rent/safe" money? And how long has that been going on? It's making me sick with worry and frustration!

Today I had to tell him that I couldn't send him $30 for pizza this week (special meal that they can order?) and I feel terrible! This is torture on his family and for me too and we aren't the person in prison having to deal with that environment every day. It's mind boggling! Once again, I'm lost and feeling very unsure of what in the world to do. I don't know if anyone has experience/comments (maybe I should start a new thread??) but I'd certainly appreciate anything you all have to say! I've thought about trying to learn more about the system and the "groups" that operate within it, but I know I won't like what I find
Old 03-25-2017, 09:57 AM
Donation Award 

I am sorry that this is happening to him and to you. There is nothing you can do to fix he situation for him. He is correct that he doesn't want to "snitch" about what is going on, however if he does he will be moved to protective custody which is essentially the hole. He can make a request to his case manager to be moved to a different facility. This may or may not happen and the whole "rent" thing could happen again depending on why he is in that situation. He can also move cells, but again why is he paying "rent"? Unfortunately they can get themselves in some bad situations in there by making poor decisions. Sadly he got himself into the situation in there and he will have to get himself out of it.
WishingTree (03-25-2017)