Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > European Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

European Prison & Criminal Justice Topics Prison, Jail and Criminal Justice discussions in relation to European countries.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:15 AM

Default Eastern Europe / What to include in purchase of goods from prison store?

Can someone help me? Anyone can answer [general question] but since it is an E. European prison I posted here.

I have never placed an order for supplies [commissary?] before and I do not know what are the best products to be placed into an order. But the mother of a friend has said it is okay for me to send some things cause everything helps.

The way it works is that there is a brokerage shop online [approved by the federal prison authorities] that offers goods.

1. Are personal hygiene products [bar of soap, toothbrush, deodorant, etc] the best to purchase?
2. There is a small selection of fruit / veg. [apples, lemons, carrots, oranges] Would it make sense to include these perishable items or is it a waste of money? I cannot imagine having room to store these. Also, I cannot imagine buying more than 1 or 2 of these cause they spoil quickly.
3. Are boiled meals [mashed potatoes, noodles, stews, soup] a good idea, considering the food is pretty bad?
4. Are there items that a prisoner would prefer to receive? Extra socks? Towels? Notebook?
5. Since I do not know, should I stick to comfort goods like sweets? Does it make sense to purchase carbonated drinks if say, the prisoner is to drink 1 L quickly?

Apologies for the really dumb questions but I really have no idea to what to purchase and communication is sparse with the individual. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,606 Times in 1,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufahije View Post
1. Are personal hygiene products [bar of soap, toothbrush, deodorant, etc] the best to purchase?
2. There is a small selection of fruit / veg. [apples, lemons, carrots, oranges] Would it make sense to include these perishable items or is it a waste of money? I cannot imagine having room to store these. Also, I cannot imagine buying more than 1 or 2 of these cause they spoil quickly.
3. Are boiled meals [mashed potatoes, noodles, stews, soup] a good idea, considering the food is pretty bad?
4. Are there items that a prisoner would prefer to receive? Extra socks? Towels? Notebook?
5. Since I do not know, should I stick to comfort goods like sweets? Does it make sense to purchase carbonated drinks if say, the prisoner is to drink 1 L quickly?
[/font]
Do you have a link to the website that is offering these goods? Also, which prison?

Prison systems differ in what they allow. I'd be happy to check into things.

That being said, I can respond to a few of your questions above that shouldn't make a difference in different prison systems.

1. Inmates generally are provided basic hygiene products by the institution. At least in more developed countries. If this person isn't, than I think this would be a high priority.
2. I would not send anything that is perishable. It could turn out to be a waste of money unless they get it right away and are able to store it.
3. Again, if it is not perishable, that is a much better idea.
4. It depends on the prisoner. I wanted reading materials more than anything. Pictures are always great as well of family, friends and someone they may be interested in. Also, writing material if they are unable to get their hands on it in the prison where they are located.
5. Carbonated drinks would be fine if that is what they want..

Again, let me know the prison or at least the prison system you are dealing with and I may be able to give you better info. In the U.S., sending items into an inmate is often limited. People usually just deposit money into their inmate account and they buy what they want when they go to commissary - usually once a week.

Last edited by David; 03-11-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Old 03-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Do you have a link to the website that is offering these goods? Also, which prison?

Prison systems differ in what they allow. I'd be happy to check into things.

That being said, I can respond to a few of your questions above that shouldn't make a difference in different prison systems.

1. Inmates generally are provided basic hygiene products by the institution. At least in more developed countries. If this person isn't, than I think this would be a high priority.
2. I would not send anything that is perishable. It could turn out to be a waste of money unless they get it right away and are able to store it.
3. Again, if it is not perishable, that is a much better idea.
4. It depends on the prisoner. I wanted reading materials more than anything. Pictures are always great as well of family, friends and someone they may be interested in. Also, writing material if they are unable to get their hands on it in the prison where they are located.
5. Carbonated drinks would be fine if that is what they want..

Again, let me know the prison or at least the prison system you are dealing with and I may be able to give you better info. In the U.S., sending items into an inmate is often limited. People usually just deposit money into their inmate account and they buy what they want when they go to commissary - usually once a week.
Hi David,

Thank you for the answers! The prison is in Russia, Novosibirsk Oblast, ИК № 18. Do you still want to see the store website? [it is in Russian] For this institution, it says there is a limit of 20 kg and 7800 rubles, and now, they do not even offer stationary! No paper, but they offer lemons... where is the sense?!