Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Lost in the System
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Lost in the System Are you having problems locating someone in jail or prison? Place your missing person ad in this forum, as well as find out what resources & techniques others are using to find loved ones in the system.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:11 PM

Unhappy Lost friend who went federal.

I've been trying to locate a friend of mine who was recently sentenced in federal court. She was finally transferred out of the county jail after sentencing. I went to the Bureau of Prisons website and she has a Bop registration number, however when I search for her by name or by that number her result populates but it says not in Bop custody. There's no further information I have no idea how else to find this girl. She has really zero Family Support is very young I would just like to be able to find out where she's at somehow. I try to find some answers online and a few times I saw that when that message of her not being in Bop custody populates that could mean that she's being transported. Well there's no way she could still be being transported it's been a month or more. Any help would be much appreciated thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2020, 11:30 PM

hmmm, yeah as I was reading I was thinking maybe she was in transport, but I wouldn't think that long either. And she is still not listed as being in county? Are you sure she was sentenced to prison? Could she have possibly gotten some sort of house arrest awaiting an appeal or something?

I would imagine that she would presumably be placed within 500 miles of her sentencing location. Here's a link to facilities that house women... https://www.bop.gov/inmates/custody_..._offenders.jsp

If she's not showing up in the offender list that won't help much other than get an idea of where she may have been sent. Depending on her crime would depend on what level of prison she would be sent to.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:59 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,159 Times in 13,317 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. You can try calling the local US Marshal's office. If she isn't in bop custody, she is being held in one of the Marshal's contracted prisons/jails. As soon as she arrives in a bop owned prison, the inmate locator will be updated.

Another resource is PACER (public access to court electronic records). Open an account and you will be able to follow her movement through the federal court system.
https://www.pacer.gov/

As of January 1, 2020, pacer's minimum amount (less and they don't send a bill) was doubled to $30.00 per 3 month period.

FREE ACCESS TO COURT RECORDS INCREASES IN 2020
Beginning Jan. 1, 2020, if a PACER user quarterly usage is $30 or less, the bill will be waived. This is an increase from the existing $15 or less quarterly fee waiver. Users will see this reflected in the April 2020 billing statement. This will result in more than 75 percent of users accessing court records paying no fee in a given quarter. The Judicial Conference approved this action at their September 17, 2019, meeting.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:49 PM

Hello, it usually take a few weeks before the federal bureau will add her name. Once she is processed and the paper work is sent it could be at the beginning of next month. But you can call and ask if she has already made it to her destination they should tell you.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:02 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,159 Times in 13,317 Posts

The federal inmate locator is updated every day and it reports on everyone who was in a bop owned prison for that day's mandatory 4PM count. Each day's list is posted late every night. If it says "not in bop custody" all that means is they were not in any bop owned prison for that count on that day, not that they aren't federal prisoners who are being held by either the bop or the US Marshals.

Inmates who are "in transit" can spend long periods locked up in local jails, State prisons, etc., but the locator will only report that one thing, when they are actually housed in a bop prison.