Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada - General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Canada that do not fit into any other Canada sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:13 PM

Default Husband just got to joyceville

Hi Everyone
my husband just got to joyceville 2 days ago and not sure what to do now. what can i send him now vs. when he is at his mother? do i have to mail it or can i drop it off at the facility? i am currently on charges so cant visit him which sucks i am trying to get them worked out ASAP but the legal system is slow as anything. I hope someone can help me out as i would greatly appreciate any help i can get!

thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2019, 10:08 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,142 Times in 13,307 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Here's what CDC says about contacting prisoners.
https://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/family/003004-index-en.shtml

Since you are not allowed to visit, make sure that there aren't other contact restrictions too. If you are co-defendants, the rules might be even more severe.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahustler00 View Post
Hi Everyone
my husband just got to joyceville 2 days ago and not sure what to do now. what can i send him now vs. when he is at his mother? do i have to mail it or can i drop it off at the facility? i am currently on charges so cant visit him which sucks i am trying to get them worked out ASAP but the legal system is slow as anything. I hope someone can help me out as i would greatly appreciate any help i can get!

thank you
It's nice to see there are some recent applicable posts in this section.

I wish you the best in contacting your husband. My wife will be going through a similar process.

I have my sentencing hearing on December 3rd. I suspect I will be going to Joyceville as well. Approx 4 hours from where I live now. This troubles me very much.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:50 PM

I think the only things they can have in the Assessment unit at Joyceville is the television. There is a package that Odessa Hardware delivers. Even if you can't contact him, you could have that delivered.

Alternatively, if it's convenient to you, you may be able to deliver a television to Joyceville Assessment in person. We did this and were also able to include some athletic clothing and runners (this was in February 2018). I phoned Joyceville Assessment and got the okay and instructions on what to do.

Otherwise, little else can go to the Assessment Unit. The complete "pen pack" goes to the mother institute once he gets to wherever they assign him. That's the one you only have 30 days to do.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
I think the only things they can have in the Assessment unit at Joyceville is the television. There is a package that Odessa Hardware delivers. Even if you can't contact him, you could have that delivered.

Alternatively, if it's convenient to you, you may be able to deliver a television to Joyceville Assessment in person. We did this and were also able to include some athletic clothing and runners (this was in February 2018). I phoned Joyceville Assessment and got the okay and instructions on what to do.

Otherwise, little else can go to the Assessment Unit. The complete "pen pack" goes to the mother institute once he gets to wherever they assign him. That's the one you only have 30 days to do.
Like did you visit the inmate with the TV and clothes, and he was able to use it soon after? Or is it a long process where they send it somewhere, get it approved, and he gets it 3 weeks later?

Just weighing the options. My wife will visit me while in Assessment. She can bring a TV and some clothes too. Or should I just buy the Assessment package from the Hardware store, and its there sooner?
Old 11-26-2019, 10:02 AM

Hey Solstice, We delivered the tv and athletic gear almost as soon as he got to Joyceville. It was convenient for us to do this as we had someone who was going to Kingston on other matters at the time. Before you go this route I recommend you make sure you can do it by talking to someone at Joyceville Assessment to get the okay.

He got it very quickly -- within a couple of days. Much faster than he would have got it from the hardware store.

However it's hard to find a TV that meets the requirements these days. We got it at BestBuy. Insignia 19 inch. Also send in cable splitter, co-ax cable and power bar. You take it to the Stores Department at Joyceville Monday-Friday 9-5.

Your wife won't be able to visit until the visitor application is approved and that can take quite a few weeks (I think 6 weeks in our case!) -- or at least it did back then.

You should get a phone plan for collect calls organized before you get to Joyceville that way you will be able to call home right away or as soon as the number is approved anyway (which was very fast). We used Trappline but I think Fedphoneline has this now too. Loading up the calling card only happens one day a month and the chances of being able to get the calling card going right away are pretty slim.

The more you can do for your wife before you go, the better she will be able to deal with this awful situation.

hugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-26-2019)