Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Elsa's Inmate Card Projects
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Elsa's Inmate Card Projects This forum is dedicated to the memory of one of our most loyal members; Elsa Punzi. Send Birthday & Holiday cards to inmates!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:49 AM

Default Cards you Send

Hi Everyone,
Wondering what type of cards you send?
Do you send store bought, boxed cards or make them on the computer?
Does anyone do stamping or real handmade cards?

I found the selection of Fathers Day Cards were limited, compared to Mother's Day. Also Masculine just because cards are hard to find- usually too flowery.
I've been shopping online and found some great deals on boxed birthday cards.
Looking forward to hearing from you gals and learning a few things.

Last edited by ParentsLove; 06-12-2012 at 04:51 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 AM
PTO Card Swap Host

Thanked 1,327 Times in 745 Posts

It depends how much time I have, for fathers day I found this picture with poem online (see attachments)

and with a website where I can change the picture to anything I want, I added a personal message (see attachments no2).

I printed the one I made on a blanc photocard (which I buy very cheap in a hobby shop) and wrote a message on the back.
This way I hope they feel special !

But I also use store bought cards, as I said, depends on how much time I have
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg img1498803750.jpeg (39.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg img1499112193.jpeg (53.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by benedick66; 06-12-2012 at 10:15 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benedick66 For This Useful Post:
Dallasmist (06-19-2012), nessbuddy (06-13-2012), ParentsLove (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Nope. No Pumpkins Here At All
Donation Award 

The girlier the card, the better LOL. I use really pretty boxed stationery with butterflies, flowers, birds, peacocks, stuff like that.

Aloha from far away............ Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk. Haim shelli.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:28 PM

Nice poem. If I had the time I would make more cards than buy. Cards are addicting :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedick66 View Post
It depends how much time I have, for fathers day I found this picture with poem online (see attachments)
and with a website where I can change the picture to anything I want, I added a personal message (see attachments no2).

I printed the one I made on a blanc photocard (which I buy very cheap in a hobby shop) and wrote a message on the back.
This way I hope they feel special !

But I also use store bought cards, as I said, depends on how much time I have
Old 06-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Summer, cards with birds and animals are my favorite. They are not easily found in my neck of the woods. I do have some great b'day cards with tropical birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredsmermaid View Post
The girlier the card, the better LOL. I use really pretty boxed stationery with butterflies, flowers, birds, peacocks, stuff like that.

Aloha from far away............ Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk. Haim shelli.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Catcher of the cold

I have trouble about card these days.
No problem for Cards to send CVs..Just draw by hands,and I love to do.

Here in Japan,most of cards are glued,glittered,every way to not fit prison rules.
And we usually don't exchange cards here,so not so many kinds cards are available.
I once even import cards from cardstore!!

So This is nearly confession, I'm making cards with my PC and printer.I cannot say It's best thing,trying to fake them sold one.
But It must be obvious.
I'm making it simple not to give prison officials bad feeling,But,I worry about it.

Texas,where my friend is,changed rule as"hand made card is ok,but not better glue".It must be ok in Texas,but I don't know where can I check all state..(Criminal Justice website?)

Before content,I have this trouble

illusionist:this post is from iPhone

Life is learning..especially for me(on training)
Also sorry for long absence!!
The Following User Says Thank You to illusionist For This Useful Post:
Tivia (06-15-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionist

Here in Japan,most of cards are glued,glittered,every way to not fit prison rules.
And we usually don't exchange cards here,so not so many kinds cards are available.

So This is nearly confession, I'm making cards with my PC and printer.I cannot say It's best thing,trying to fake them sold one.
But It must be obvious.
I'm making it simple not to give prison officials bad feeling,But,I worry about it.

Texas,where my friend is,changed rule as"hand made card is ok,but not better glue".It must be ok in Texas,but I don't know where can I check all state..(Criminal Justice website?)

How cool
You draw your own cards!!! I've never gotten a drawn card! I wish I had that talent

I use cheap dollar store cards/ Walmart .47 cards and cards I got from a friend.

I love colorful cards, I can't imagine a world without color, so I love to send the bright neon flashy girly cards.

I am on the hunt for bright colored standard envelopes, not card size but normal letter size anyone have ideas? All I have found is red, as my guys LOVE it because they INSTANTLY know whether they have mail or not

Last edited by Jhvikingqueen; 06-13-2012 at 02:45 AM..
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM

I actually make 50% and buy the other, I try to find the best fit for the situation. I dont do much to the ones I make usually try to buy blank cards, its hard to just find plain white ones here, so I get whatever I can then draw something pretty on the inside, my five year old has also got into it She cracks me up, Because she is honestly good at it, bunnies are her favorite. And one we drew two bunnies and sent it out it said Just a couple bunnies dropping by to say GOOD LUCK!!!! And then the senders message. I also will include puzzles stuff like that. Though its hard really to do that as well because some jails or prisons dont even allow colored paper. The first one my hunny was in aloud NO COLORED PAPER OR puzzles, I never use glitter or glue because i'm unsure. SO I just kinda do simple Ya know. Good luck hope this helps, and illusionist Every facility is different, so its harder to look it up, you would have to look up each facility not state. My love has been moved 3 times so far and all in KY each facility has had different rules and such. Good Luck hun

Old 06-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,052 Posts

I used to make some of mine, but my printer has been stubborn over the past couple of months So, I buy all of mine
I do a lot at the dollar store, WalMart & Walgreens. I also stop in thrift shops and the local goodwill stores to see if there's any cards or stationary there. I also send tons of postcards
ParentsLove (06-14-2012), Tivia (06-15-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,565 Times in 6,759 Posts

I use a bit of everything. If I find some nice cards in a store I will buy them, I also have 100's of postcards cos I tend to buy them in bulk and I have a printer so I also print out cards. I have just printed out my 4th July cards because its difficult to buy them over here

The Following User Says Thank You to lisainengland For This Useful Post:
Tivia (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 04:55 AM

I never thought that colored paper would be unacceptable. I recently sent a poem on neon green paper. Praise the Lord I have not had any mail returned.
Thanks for sharing-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsgirl2011 View Post
I actually make 50% and buy the other, I try
It susually try to buy blank cards, its hard to just find plain white ones here, so I get whatever I can then draw something pretty on the inside, my five year old has also got into it She cracks me up, Because she is honestly good at it, bunnies are her favorite. And one we drew two bunnies and sent it out it said Just a couple bunnies dropping by to say GOOD LUCK!!!! And then the senders message. I also will include puzzles stuff like that. Though its hard really to do that as well because some jails or prisons dont even allow colored paper. The first one my hunny was in aloud NO COLORED PAPER OR puzzles, I never use glitter or glue because i'm unsure. SO I just kinda do simple Ya know. Good luck hope this helps, and illusionist Every facility is different, so its harder to look it up, you would have to look up each facility not state. My love has been moved 3 times so far and all in KY each facility has had different rules and such. Good Luck hun
Old 06-14-2012, 04:59 AM

Do you have stores that sell Avery products or office supplies? Avery is a common manufacturer that sells labels and card making paper. The have a website with free templates to use on there products or your own paper.
Can I list the website here? www.avery.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionist View Post

But It must be obvious.

Tivia (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParentsLove View Post
I never thought that colored paper would be unacceptable. I recently sent a poem on neon green paper. Praise the Lord I have not had any mail returned.
Thanks for sharing-

Yep it was at our local County Jail where I am, No colored paper I thought at first they just ment ya know construction paper, or ummm ya know that colored printer paper. But they literally mean NO COLORED PAPER!!!! I sent a letter on that legal paper, it was actually a light purple color and was returned with a note on the envelope saying NO COLORED PAPER!!!! I was like wow really..... I guess they have had problems with ppl lacing colored paper with drugs, they also were not even aloud to look at the envelope.

The Following User Says Thank You to Timsgirl2011 For This Useful Post:
ParentsLove (06-19-2012)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Catcher of the cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhvikingqueen

How cool
You draw your own cards!!! I've never gotten a drawn card! I wish I had that talent

I use cheap dollar store cards/ Walmart .47 cards and cards I got from a friend.

I love colorful cards, I can't imagine a world without color, so I love to send the bright neon flashy girly cards.

I am on the hunt for bright colored standard envelopes, not card size but normal letter size anyone have ideas? All I have found is red, as my guys LOVE it because they INSTANTLY know whether they have mail or not
It's actually convenient I can draw
And me too,I cannot imagine the world without color,But my friend in prison is living those kind of world..

It depends on state and prison rule whether You can send colored paper and envelope,(as I grew up and living out of U.S,taking care not to against rule)For my friend,(Texas)I recently read a post about Texas prison in PTO,"A card drawn with watercolor was taken as contraband @_@".So I'm taking care,when I handdraw,I use only one color.

It's envious you have lots of cards to hunt,in shop.We usually only exchange postcard on Newyear and Mid-Summer,here in Japan,and I think It would be interesting for my friends in U.S,if I send Printed Japanese New Year's card I got this idea just now.

I love stationary hunting and once a shop caught me,It's very dangerous cause I will be trapped there hours long,and it led me broke.
I guess you're this kind of person,Take care!XD

Last edited by illusionist; 06-16-2012 at 08:03 AM..
Old 06-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Catcher of the cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParentsLove
Do you have stores that sell Avery products or office supplies? Avery is a common manufacturer that sells labels and card making paper. The have a website with free templates to use on there products or your own paper.
Can I list the website here? www.avery.com
We have very little store which sell Avery products.(I can say clearly..I've been working in Stationary company when I was younger,and in one occation, co-operated with a company named Avery Toppan.)(Toppan is well known company for printing)Avery itself is not here,so,Avery items will be on shops which sells import Stationary.(Meaning=pricey)
But thanks for giving me a name of Avery,The name reminds me I have a little knowledge for office supply and gave me an idea to dig my former workplace's product.(They sells office supply)
And,Thanks for telling Avery website,I didn't know Martha Stuwart goods is now on Avery and I can use template.
Usually,I use a software called "Label Mighty"(don't laugh for name,this is Japanese software)to print out Cards.I might use Martha Stuart things as back ground graphic.

Last edited by illusionist; 06-16-2012 at 08:08 AM..
Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Catcher of the cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisainengland
I use a bit of everything. If I find some nice cards in a store I will buy them, I also have 100's of postcards cos I tend to buy them in bulk and I have a printer so I also print out cards. I have just printed out my 4th July cards because its difficult to buy them over here
Bit of everything? include me,as a tool,in exchange saving me from a messy room?

Yep,I missed a opportunity respond you on chit-chat.and I'm kidding

Back to topic,Cards for Holidays in U.S are hard to find,for me too.even sympathy cards don't exist here.I have to let my printer work more.
(I am really relieved I'm not only one who use printer)

Last edited by illusionist; 06-16-2012 at 08:18 AM..
Old 06-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,052 Posts

Just wanted to throw out an fyi
I was at Barnes & Noble the other night & they had some wonderful packs of cards
Old 06-19-2012, 05:18 PM

The Avery templates are great!
I used a template to made some beautiful cards for the July 4th swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionist View Post
We have very little store which sell Avery products.(I can say clearly..I've been working in Stationary company when I was younger,and in one occation, co-operated with a company named Avery Toppan.)(Toppan is well known company for printing)Avery itself is not here,so,Avery items will be on shops which sells import Stationary.(Meaning=pricey)
But thanks for giving me a name of Avery,The name reminds me I have a little knowledge for office supply and gave me an idea to dig my former workplace's product.(They sells office supply)
And,Thanks for telling Avery website,I didn't know Martha Stuwart goods is now on Avery and I can use template.
Usually,I use a software called "Label Mighty"(don't laugh for name,this is Japanese software)to print out Cards.I might use Martha Stuart things as back ground graphic.