Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > McCreary USP and FPC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

McCreary USP and FPC Topics and Discussions relating to the United States Penitentiary (USP) and Federal Prison Camp (FPC) in McCreary, Kentucky.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Shawn

Default Local number for cheaper calls

So my current cell phone provider is US Cellular and apparently they DO NOT have coverage in Kentucky. Who would be a good provider to go through so that my number would be local for him to call. Anyone???
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,142 Times in 13,307 Posts

If you do an internet search for KY cellphone providers, one of the links is a map of the state showing coverage areas. If that doesn't help, check with some of the companies that do service KY. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Shawn

Looking into a skype number just need to know what prefixes they can call locally. He would be able to call the local number and it will ring into my number I have now. Any idea?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,207 Times in 2,544 Posts

My call forwarding PSA: Any type of call forwarding is frowned upon the BOP. If call forwarding features are used and found it, it can be cause to lose phone privileges.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Donation Award 

get a verizon wireless or even a virgin mobile you can have your phone number anywhere as long as u give them a zip code
Old 05-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Shawn

So I have been researching all day inmatefone.com has local numbers for 6 cents a minute it is really kind of neat and even has McCreary listed . I called the customer service and spoke to a lady.

Last edited by shawnee77; 05-02-2012 at 06:01 PM..
Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM

i would like to know whats the best 3rd party calling service anyones using that Mccreary Usp is compatible with?
Old 08-15-2012, 03:43 PM

please let me know what you find out abt cheaper ways to recieve calls from Mccreary, i have been looking into sites, but theres so many and idk if the prison allows this and if so how to go abt getting a local number
Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,207 Times in 2,544 Posts

Please be aware that it is against Federal BOP and many state DOC rules for an inmate to use “third party” services that try to reduce prison call costs like GoogleVoice, ConsCallHome, or PrisonCallSolutions (and many others). Those services forward calls to another line, and call forwarding is not allowed. If you have GoogleVoice or one of these other services and your loved one is calling you, you are breaking those BOP or DOC rules. When the BOP or DOC finds out (and they will eventually), you could lose visitation and phone privileges. Google Voice forwards calls to a different line. Facilities have the technology to detect forwarded calls. When the facility detects a forwarded call (and it could be tomorrow or years from now), there are consequences. One of those consequences is disallowing the inmate to call the number that was forwarded and the person who owns the forwarded-to phone could be taken off the inmate’s visitors list. I know the calls are expensive, but we have to follow their rules. I'm sorry.

Since call forwarding is not allowed by the facilities, discussing "how to" get those services borders on illegal activities which is against PTO policy cited below.

Please be sure to check with the facility first! It's better to be safe than sorry!

Illegal Activities:
Threads/replies encouraging illegal/unethical action (like “The best way to kill the neighbor’s dog” or "Have you had sex during a visit?"), or more importantly, anything relating to compromising the security of prisons and institutions (ETC) will not be allowed. Posts such as these will be deleted and may lead to you losing your posting privileges. This policy extends to profiles, avatars, etc., as well. PTO's policy on illegal activities also extends to references of gang activity, as gang activity is illegal (and especially in the prison systems). If you are affiliated with a gang and have a loved one in prison, you are certainly still welcome at PTO, but no reference to such affiliations in posts, profile, avatar, etc. is allowed.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee77
So my current cell phone provider is US Cellular and apparently they DO NOT have coverage in Kentucky. Who would be a good provider to go through so that my number would be local for him to call. Anyone???
Use magic jack it is cheap and use 376 or 354
Old 08-26-2012, 05:04 AM

I went on inmate fone and they got me a local number in a few days. I pay 19.95 a month for the number. When he calls me it is .90 for a 15 minute phone call. Before I got that it was $3.95 a call!! The website says its not considered three way and bop has a contract with them. I haven't had any problems
The Following User Says Thank You to ForbiddenloveTC For This Useful Post:
capone girl (10-08-2014)
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM

Default Local to McCreary

I SS on Tuesday....I have researched extensively. The only national Cell phone carrier for there is AT & T...you have to get an Oneida, TN telephone exchange and it is local to McCreary....
Highland Telephone CO-OP is the local phone company and a very nice understanding lady there was able to guide me and help out with some exchanges

Area code is 423
local exchanges to McCreary are 319 223 539 and 215. Again all in the 423 area code.

Good luck to everyone and I have my new cell number and all set for Tuesday!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:06 PM

I have AT&T Wireless family plan so I have my Indianapolis cell and the Kentucky cell. The phone was $1 and it doesn't cost me any extra money so you don't have to change your cell number and have people ask you why you have a funky area code. You have to make sure you get a 606-516-**** number and the town you register it to is Stearns, KY and the zip code is 42637. At first AT&T told me they don't service that area and then I called back and worked for about 45 minutes with the operator because I was not getting off the phone without that area code and prefix of 606-516. Hope this information helps anybody, its important to keep the costs down because commissary money, email money, phone money...it adds up quick!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 AM

Do any of you know if McCreary is on lockdown now??
Old 09-15-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetexfriend View Post
Do any of you know if McCreary is on lockdown now??
Have you found out if they are on lockdown?