Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Alabama prison system.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:09 AM

Default More time for prisons

More time for prisons

Saturday, May 27, 2006

The state prison system has been given more time to make good on its promise to remove state prisoners backlogged in county jails across the state. Prison officials must not fail to keep their word this time.

http://www.al.com/opinion/birmingham...180.xml&coll=2

If he was going to give him more time, the judge should have given him more time at the beginning and not back down from his earlier ruling.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2006, 07:32 AM

wow...the state of alabama has only had...what? 20-25 years to get this mess straighten out...bah bah bah bah....
Old 06-18-2006, 07:48 PM
stickvb

They need to focus on letting people out who do not deserve to be there anymore and that would relieve the situation NOW! Then there would be plenty of room for the county jail prisoners at the the state prisons. They need to use the new sentencing reform laws to help people who are in there already and have been oversentenced for their offenses. You know work from the inside out. Weed that mess out at the state prisons first! Then the counties problems would be solved also. I dont know why that is so hard for them to figure out. They just dont want to give anyone a chance and they are just making the problem worse because I would think the longer a person stays in prison the more bitter they will feel and not want to do something positive with their lives. That makes repeat criminals. Also the drug laws need to be changed. My fiance was given 14 years for having joint and public intoxication while on probation. This was the second time so he did repeat the same offense but his problem was not with any serious drugs like cocaine or heroin. But honestly I dont think he desrerves 14 years of his life taken away from him and not be able to raise his child and be a good husband because he made a stupid mistake. He did not hurt anyone. I have known him for 10 years and I can truthfully say he is the most peaceful person I know. I hope and pray that they will do the right thing come January and realize that he has done his time with no disciplinarys and has been in the faith dorm for almost a year which has helped him tremendously and changed the way he thinks about things. He knows he screwed up and he beats himself up worse than anyone.
Sorry this is so long I just had to vent a little. I just hope and pray the state of Alabama sees the error of their ways and changes their hearts for the good of all it's citizens. For everyone who has a story similar to mine I pray that God intervenes and makes things right for us and our loved ones.

Last edited by stickvb; 06-18-2006 at 08:07 PM..
Old 06-19-2006, 05:35 AM

Stickvb you are wrong about that... Studies show that repeat offenders are the ones who get out, violate their parole, go back in, EOS, get a new charge, go back in, etc etc. Basically make it their life's work to be in and out of the penal system. Having someone spend a long time in prison then get out does not make a "repeat criminal", you are contradicting yourself there. I know you want your boyfriend home but we all want our men home and I'm sorry, I'm tired of hearing you whine about how everyone else deserves to be in prison except your boyfriend. If he hadn't been doing drugs while on probation, he would still be free. That is what probation is for, giving you one last chance. There is no one to blame besides himself and the sooner he realises that, this will set him on the path to sobriety.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:36 AM

I am having troubling posting, so if I end up with double post, please overlook it. Lets try this again.

I know a person when was in and out of prison repeatedly, but once they were saved, they never went back. I also know of this person who was in for years and went back. It is up to the person, but sometimes a person can be in prison for so long that when they get out, they don't want out because they don't know how to live outside those walls. There are all kinds in prisons and we know this...some should never be allowed out because they would harm again or have done something so horrible that they don't deserve freedom. And there are some who would never go back to prison. I agree with stickvb about the fact they should look at what they have in prison and who might make a good candidate to be early released. People close to EOS in 1-2 years...they are going home anyway...people who have worked hard to improve themselves over the years and proven they have changed...if a person have been in prison for thirty years for murder, stayed out of trouble and worked to better himself if he's not ready for release by now, he never will be so just give him life with no parole and don't bring him up any more. Yet they do bring them up and it is a waste of money and nerves wrecking for the inmate. So much of this could be fixed if they would just use common sense. They should look at the ones in prisons, not the guy who just committed a crime. Why should that person be given a break when some other person who committed the same type of crime is setting in
prison for the last ten years. Work with the ones inside also. Also, Cember is right when she stated a lot of the ones who come back, just keep coming back and don't want to change. I do not believe in just keep letting out the same person over and over and over and over. They are going to move more inmates to Lousianna, which will be the cream of the crop. Why don't they sent the ones in county jails to Louianna. I know they got to go to Kilby first but then send them on to Lousianna.

Last edited by O'reilly; 06-19-2006 at 06:57 AM..
Old 06-19-2006, 02:48 PM
stickvb

First of all I was not whining about my fiance Cember I was just trying to make a point but I guess I just wont come here anymore because I'm not allowed to express my feelings freely without being criticized or judged. I thought that was what this place was for.. support and friendship because we are all going through hard times now, but I guess not...
Old 06-19-2006, 02:58 PM

we do support everyone here, and we are all in the same boat!

Last edited by DeniseJJ; 06-21-2006 at 08:00 AM..
Old 07-17-2006, 10:07 PM

Denise, you sound like such a wonderful caring person. I am very glad your man is home and I pray my man will be released soon. God bless you and yours. Esty