Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:52 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,278 Times in 589 Posts
Unhappy To complain or not to complain about CO in Pennsylvania?!

Ladies (and gents), I need your help again.

I do have a LO at a PA prison who was supposed to call me today. He did, but with some delay.
However, they have to sign up for phone time slots (15min each). So, he scheduled a date for 8a.m. this morning and when they do have a phone time, the guards have to let them out!
If there are open time slots over the day, prisoners can get them. And again the guards have to let them out for calls.

The sad thing is: some of the COs are driving us nuts. Sometimes, they let them out 4 or 5 minutes late - on purpose because they can. This means, your 15min calls are shortened to 11 or 10min, sometimes even less.

Today was one of these days. The CO let him out of his prison a bit late on purpose, so all we got have been 9 damn minutes. Of course I was mad as hell and so was my LO.
My LO asked me to write a complaint to the Superintendent, he wanted me to complain about that officer.

And I don't know what to do. Really, some of the COs there act like morons, some of them are really using their power and this sucks. BIG TIME.
BUT my LO has a parole hearing next week and I so don't want to cause him any further trouble by complaining about that one CO. Thank God my LO bit his tongue today, so he's probably not in trouble yet. I just feel horrible somehow...
If I don't complain I feel like letting him down, not being there for him when he needs me to.
But if I complain...well, I want him to get out soon and if everything is working out fine next week, he can move on to his next sentence and be home next year.
But then again my LO asked me to do it, it's not like I'm doing it on my own because I think they have been unfair. I don't know...

Sorry that this is so long and chaotic, I'm a mess right now...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2015, 07:13 AM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 535 Posts

My recommendation - don't get involved.

There are so many assumptions that you took at face value. You have no idea why he is being let out late, or even if he really is at all.

And if he is, you have no idea why. He's not the only prisoner in there. If there's a delay to the routine, it's probably not because the COs have their feet up on a desk somewhere.

And your LO has no idea what any delays are for, either (no matter what he's told).

He is going to need to learn to deal with his situation on his own. Always ask yourself what you really think the outcome would be if you were to call and complain.

Do you think the warden will say "Oh my goodness! A CO was mean to your LO? I'll go fire him on the spot on your say so alone!"

Do you figure there will be a month long investigation in to every complaint called into the prison?

Let them work it out. Stay out of it. He needs to learn to adjust. He's in prison - not a 5 star hotel. Nothing in there is about him and him alone. There's him and a thousand more just like him in there that they are dealing with.

Best of luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
Miss Meeow (05-18-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 04:08 AM

Miss Meeow I have to agree with what Straight says here. Phone calls are a privilege. Yes, your loved one is owed the time to spend on the phone with you as the COs schedules allow them. This could be a case of a particular CO that may be focusing on your LO for what ever reason but quite honestly I would stay out of it if I were you. Especially with his parole hearing coming up so soon. If this CO is your LOs housing unit CO I would suggest that your LO keep this to himself and learn fast that when you are in prison you don't have control over things like this that you would normally have out in the free world. Also since your LO is coming up on his hearing the board takes into consideration your LO housing reports that are issued and written by the COs. I would keep things "cool". Be happy with the time he has on the phone with you and tell him to understand that life is much more different inside than on the outside. It is not worth upsetting the apple cart over something as minor as this. I would not make waves over something like this especially since his hearing is right around the corner.
The Following User Says Thank You to waitinguntil001 For This Useful Post:
Miss Meeow (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,278 Times in 589 Posts

Thank you both for your input.
If everything is working out the way we want it to, I'm going to talk to him in a few minutes. And then I'll let him know that I won't complain about anything and that it probably would be better for him to...well, get over shit like this. He can be so pig-headed at times...
Old 05-19-2015, 11:03 AM
PTO Staff on LOA

Thanked 24,003 Times in 8,426 Posts

This happens on my husband's block (in CA) regularly. That or, they just shut the phones down for half the day or "lose" the sign up list. It's extremely frustrating so I understand where you're coming from, but as others have said...this isn't a time to wage war.

Hope things settle for him soon and best of luck for his upcoming hearing!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:14 PM

You are welcome Miss Meeow. And good luck with the hearing.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:21 AM

Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,328 Posts

Speaking for the PA state facilities, it's never a good idea to presume that inmates will be able to fully use the first time slot of each period, be it 8:00 AM, 1:00 PM or 6:00 PM. Lots of things can delay the start of movements after meals. The simplest solution is to get the second slot (i.e. fifteen minutes later). The same can happen with the last slot in each time bloc.

If the call is for 8:00 and the line movements haven't begun yet,, the inmate can try pressing his button to see if the officer will let him out. If it doesn't happen, then he should approach the officer at a convenient time and ask about it for future reference, especially if this officer is assigned to the unit regularly.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Meeow View Post
Ladies (and gents), I need your help again.

I do have a LO at a PA prison who was supposed to call me today. He did, but with some delay.
However, they have to sign up for phone time slots (15min each). So, he scheduled a date for 8a.m. this morning and when they do have a phone time, the guards have to let them out!
If there are open time slots over the day, prisoners can get them. And again the guards have to let them out for calls.

The sad thing is: some of the COs are driving us nuts. Sometimes, they let them out 4 or 5 minutes late - on purpose because they can. This means, your 15min calls are shortened to 11 or 10min, sometimes even less.

Today was one of these days. The CO let him out of his prison a bit late on purpose, so all we got have been 9 damn minutes. Of course I was mad as hell and so was my LO.
My LO asked me to write a complaint to the Superintendent, he wanted me to complain about that officer.

And I don't know what to do. Really, some of the COs there act like morons, some of them are really using their power and this sucks. BIG TIME.
BUT my LO has a parole hearing next week and I so don't want to cause him any further trouble by complaining about that one CO. Thank God my LO bit his tongue today, so he's probably not in trouble yet. I just feel horrible somehow...
If I don't complain I feel like letting him down, not being there for him when he needs me to.
But if I complain...well, I want him to get out soon and if everything is working out fine next week, he can move on to his next sentence and be home next year.
But then again my LO asked me to do it, it's not like I'm doing it on my own because I think they have been unfair. I don't know...

Sorry that this is so long and chaotic, I'm a mess right now...
Your LO and my Fiancee sounds like they are in the same facility......The co's there do the same thing....They only reason he gets his time (most of the time) is because he was in the same facility over 20 years ago and knows some of the co's that have been there......