Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions Topics & discussions about specific Prison & Jails in the state of Washington.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:12 PM

Smile WA/OST Prairie Creek (MN) Q&A.....?

Penwife asked me to start a thread so everyone can have a good idea about CCA's Appleton, MN facility, Prairie Creek.

Let's start by having folks post some questions they have and when my son calls, I'll ask him and hopefully Turtle, (Turtles_Girl, guy) who is usually within earshot will be able to answer. Hopefully Turtles_Girl will chime in too. We can also get answers from FrozenInMN.

I will start with one answer to a question I asked Jr recently. How many WA inmates have been hired for the higher wage jobs?

3 so far but many qualified WA guys have applied and been turned down.

Last edited by MikeJrsMom; 12-30-2004 at 12:13 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,652 Times in 761 Posts

M&M&M!
Thank you for starting this thread! We know next to nothing about Prairie Creek and are hungrey for any info we can get!
One of my first questions you have already answered. What about the higher paying jobs? Are they Minimum wage? Do you know the critiera for getting one of these jobs? And what type of jobs are they?
Old 12-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Proud Grandma
Donation Award 

What about special diets? Are they available or does it take an act of Congress? Hoping that if Lise's guy and my guy are both going that Lise's man can get a job in the kitchen again. My man needs someone to tell him it's ok to let his pride go for a bit and ask for food!! I am hoping that the paperwork part of this place is done in a more timely fashion. My man says he has lost 10 lbs since going to Crowley, but his mom and I both think it probably is MORE.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Donation Award 

hmmmmmmmm... good thread. wonderful idea.

somehow, the title needs to reflect WA Inmates @..... because, right now, it looks like it is in the wrong state forum.......

thinking........ thinking..........

...... How about "WA Inmates @ Praire Creek, Appleton, MN Q&A"

Woner if that will that fit? do you have a simpler, short suggestion???

JJT
Old 12-30-2004, 01:49 PM
Donation Award 

WA/OST Prairie Creek Q&A.....?

I was interupted while making my last post so I wanted to follow up on some more questions, but first I want to thank you, M&M&M, for using your phone time with your son to help us find out information! That is very generous of you to do that!
Are the WA. inmates segregated from the other inmates?
how is your Son treated by the staff and other states inmates?
You mentioned that there are programs for the inmates, Can you list some of them?
I know it is very cold there right now. Are the inmates supplied with warm coats or do we need to send them coats?
Are Clothing packages even allowed or do the guys have to buy them from approved venders?

Thanks alot !!

Ann

Last edited by MurphyGirl; 12-30-2004 at 01:58 PM..
Old 12-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by penwife
WA/OST Prairie Creek Q&A.....?
Works for me. I am too long winded and like to use 14 words when 3 will do!!

Thank You!!

*********returning thread to topic*************
Old 12-30-2004, 04:58 PM

I do know a little about the Industry Jobs there (minimum wage jobs)

It is an outfit called Jacobs Trading Company. and the outlet stores are called "Worlds Greatest Deals"

What they get is a lot of Walmart returns, and other Store returns and Irwin Jacobs the owner buys these returns by the semi load. They used to do a lot of simple repair work. Speaker Wires on sound systems but a lot of the stuff works just fine just needs to be repackaged and sent out.

So what they do is engrave a "W" on the product and re ship the product out. I remember he bought a semi load full of fishing reels for 1500.00 once. Had the inmates repackage them engraving them with a W, put them in styrofoam case of (24) and he resold all of them for 18,000 yes you read that right, eighteen thousand. Quite a turn around huh?

Lots of Pots and Pans, electronics and anything he can buy in bulk and resell. Now I don't know if this has changed. But this is what they used to do... Hope that sheds a little light on the job industry there.

If any of ya'll who have men here have any other questions that you may need answers to I can always call down to the facility. I now have Prarie Correctional Facility on my speed dial
Old 12-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you Frozen!! You really are a God send!!

ann
Old 12-30-2004, 09:54 PM

Nope not a god send but definatly Frozen

although, it hasn't been to awful cold here the past couple of days. (JUST FREEZING RAIN) The cold will come again next week. I guess winter storm advisory's out though tonight. Hmm weatherbug hasn't stopped chirpin all night

Speaking of which, Ladies if you come out here between the months of October to April, you may want to think about a sport utility when asking for car rentals. Four wheel drive is very handy out here. Otherwise just call and ole Frozen will come with his and pull you outta the ditch if you need it
Old 12-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Shamelessly his forever!
Donation Award 

Arrow RE: Prairie

Hello M&M&M, Penwife, JJT, Patti, Frozen and rest of the gang,

I am sorry for not being more forth coming with the information RE: Prairie. I have been procrastinating for a couple of different reasons but I guess it is time to start sharing, so bare with me as this could get very long winded. I usually talk to Turtle on a daily basis so I will ask any questions posted and let you know what he says or can find out, within a day or so.
First off, the way the facility was described to me …it is a lot like Mason County jail cold and cramped with poor, inadequate dental and medical services. At least they allowed even encouraged, Christian worship without any hassles. Apparently, the warden, at Prairie, makes it no secret that he is anti Christian and discourages any religious activities. They are allowed to have a cross but no chain so the guys use dental floss to wear the cross around their necks. Some of the guards allow the cross’ to show, others have threatened the guys with writes ups and even the hole for not concealing the crosses under their shirts.

Re: the jobs, several of the WA guys are more then qualified and have been approved for the min. wage jobs only to be turned down by the warden. His reasoning was to see “if they could handle the stress of rejection”. Right now here are a lot of the better paying min. wage jobs available, the exact industries I am not sure of, other then the sewing (as Turtle calls it). Many of the WI guys held these jobs and were just recently sent back to WI. The first guy that got a descent-paying job was the same one who lost his baby girl shortly after being transferred. The rumor mill said the only reason he got the job was so he could reimburse CCA for the expense of flying him back for the funeral.

Are the WA. inmates segregated from the other inmates?

Yes, they are segregated by state. The part the pisses me of is that they are not segregated by status. This is good for the max. security guys but it sucks for the min- med security guys. As a side note the way they status the guys sucks also. Turtle is med. do to be reduced min. in Feb. after his one yr. is up. The way they status him, he is borderline max. despite the fact that he is infraction free.

Some of the guards seem to try and incite riots by making statements that cause frictions between the states. Other seem to be on a power trip, unprofessional and under trained “wannabe” guards.

Are Clothing packages even allowed or do the guys have to buy them from approved venders?

We are not allowed to send them anything. Several times a yr. (I am thinking it is quarterly) they can order clothes, TVs, blankets, pillows or whatever they need from the commissary. We just have to send a money order made out to the vendor for the exact amount of the order. They do not takeout the normal 55% that way. Kev said they give ok coat but you can’t even by gloves anymore. Thank goodness, he got his before they started that otherwise, his hands would freeze when he goes out in the yard.

What about special diets? Are they available or does it take an act of Congress?

I heard that CCA had gotten frustrated with all the special diet requests. They had decided it wasn’t cost effective to transfer inmates who had special diets. I am not sure what they will do for a vegaterian diet but I about blew a fuse when I found out what they are telling the guys who need a “heart healthy” diet to do. They are gven booklet explaining what they need as far as low fat, low sodium, etc. then they are told that CA provides them with over 3000 calories a day all they have to do is pick and choose what they should or shouldn’t eat.

Turlte, for instance is going to keep getting worse. He can read all the literature but unless he has a list of the ingredients he’ll have no idea what is ok for him to eat. He said that if he cuts out all the “greasy” and “salty” tasting foods he will starve. His teeth are so bad he cannot eat raw veggies and frush fruit like apples and stuff. He was supposed to get his teeth pulled just prior to leaving WSP. Now he has to wait for who knows how long. That is another thing that is lacking… proper and complele medical /dental care.

When he told me that my usually very low blood pressure would of pegged the meter. I was so ready to call Olympia but I didn‘t. I get so damn frustrated at times like this. I can’t even call and yell at anyone because when I get this upset my voice completely fails me. I tried to use my TTY phone but it just isn’t the same when it takes 5 minutes to type something that is only takes like 30 seconds to have someone else read.

Ok I am getting off my soapbox. If anything needs clarifying let me know and I will try to clear it up. Sorry for rambling on so long but t least I warned ya’ll.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:29 PM
Proud Grandma
Donation Award 

Want to know what comes to mind right now? YEP......one of the "four" letter words that just keeps appearing in my vocabulary these days. grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Thank you Debbie for the information. We all appreciate it more than you will know. Even if it is things we don't like hearing.....we do need to know. We have to start building up our moral support for the guys.......this is going to be a tough one.....but WE CAN AND WILL DO IT!!!!!! NO WHITE FLAGS!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2004, 08:38 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you Debbie, please keep posting !!
Old 01-01-2005, 10:42 AM

Sheesh! I am still waiting on a phone call and Debbie and Frozen already did the work!

Thanks Debbie and Frozen! Everything they've posted is what I have been told also.

So far, inmates have not been offered a food package, only clothing/appliances and the like. The first package that included quite a bit of clothing cost me around $140. The second one was $75. The items are not outrageously priced and is a fair deal since the amount we send isn't subjected to WA DOC witholding. I believe the deal was made this way because so much of the personal items the inmates took with them was taken away and sent back to WA for storage.

Jr was tossed in the hole for 3 days for arguing. When he tried to go to "Rec" the guard wouldn't let him and he wanted to know why. That's what is called arguing.

When he went to the hearing, they added an extra charge of "threatening". There was nothing in the guards report that indicated such, so they had to drop it.

I will ask about the different classes available. Jr already completed the Mechanical Maintenance class and has a certificate of completion. He's now in the Woodworking class.

Last edited by MikeJrsMom; 01-01-2005 at 10:51 AM..
Old 01-01-2005, 02:41 PM

Default A few more answers

The other two classes offered that Jr. is aware of is a small business class and a computer repair class.

Jr. expects there will be some changes in the job hiring in the future, mostly because many of the WA inmates are well qualified for the higher paid positions that Frozen posted.

Prairie Creek currently houses inmate from 4 states. Wisconsin, North Dakota, Minnesota and Wa. Most WI inmates have already been transferred home and the remaining Wisconsin inmates will be gone soon.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Shamelessly his forever!
Donation Award 

They also offer a carpentry class. I told Turtle he should take it because the house needs lots of work that I can no longer do. Around here that is also a very marketable skill.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:23 PM

I think Im gonna have to do some more calling. Wisconsin for the longest time held the most amount of bedspace. Minnesota currently only has around 100 beds reserved and only uses around 50 i belive, and North Dakota has always been right around 100. North Dakota doesn't have many people in prison in general, (they only have 3 prisons in the whole state) Washington has what 200 there right now????

But the facility holds well over 1000. Hmmm wondering whos gonna fill up all those extra beds. Also wondering if they are still holding Immigration (INS) in the D Unit

I'll make some calls...
Old 01-06-2005, 09:09 PM

I'm an airhead. I believe I read it in the Prison Legal News that Wisconsin was pulling their guys out of PCF, but I can't find the article now. I think one of their reasons was that recidivism was much higher for inmates that had been sent out of state. I'll look around their site again tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:17 PM

I totally believe they are pulling WI out of PCF, Im just wondering who is using the other bedspace. Really wondering how many beds INS is actually holding now???
Old 01-06-2005, 10:17 PM

Jr. believes that PCF is only at half capacity, so I think they plan to fill the place up with WA inmates.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:19 PM

aaaaah. That makes total sense.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:51 PM

Exclamation WA Inmates transferred to MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M&M
Jr. believes that PCF is only at half capacity, so I think they plan to fill the place up with WA inmates.
Hell, my husband was transferred to Appleton, I think that must be what you guys are calling Prairie Corrections? Anyway they took him with almost now warning at all. I had just been up to visit him and then my daughter calls and says that she got a letter telling her that by the time she got it he would be gone. Sure enough I called the prison in airway heights and the had shipped him out at about 9:30 am.that day.
I just found this site by accident looking for real estate in Appleton MN so that we could move there to be close to him. Any news or help is greatly appreciated. We have been practically paralized not knowing what to do. This is terrible how can they do this to families? I read on one post that they were supposedly screened carefully? I don't think so. What do we do now? when do they plan on sending them back? I am sooooo frustrated, but I am sooooo glad that I found this site. I guess God really does reach you in times of need.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO nawnee!!!

You have lots of questions. So do we. We are all kinda learning this as we go!

I am so glad you found us by accident!!

JJT
Old 01-13-2005, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT
Welcome to PTO nawnee!!!

You have lots of questions. So do we. We are all kinda learning this as we go!

I am so glad you found us by accident!!

JJT
OH MY Gosh! that was supposed to say Hello, not Hell. I am so sorry, I must have been typing too fast. Thank you for your welcome JJT.
Nawnee
Old 01-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Proud Grandma
Donation Award 

Default I am so sorry

Nawnee, I don't know where to start with telling you how sorry I am. You found the right place for support and encouragement. There are many of us that have a loved one that has been sent out of state. My man is in CO along with many others. There are several there in Appleton where your husband is now. What none of us understand is how or why DOC can do this to families.It doesn't make any sense to break families up more than they already are. The daily struggles are so difficult and when they add more to it, well it is just totally mind boggling. I am sure that any one on PTO is more than willing to talk to you when ever you need a shoulder. Finding this group will be very helpful for you. Great for venting if nothing else. Feel free to PM me anytime at all if you want to talk.
Patti
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawnee
Hell, my husband was transferred to Appleton, I think that must be what you guys are calling Prairie Corrections? Anyway they took him with almost now warning at all. I had just been up to visit him and then my daughter calls and says that she got a letter telling her that by the time she got it he would be gone. Sure enough I called the prison in airway heights and the had shipped him out at about 9:30 am.that day.
I just found this site by accident looking for real estate in Appleton MN so that we could move there to be close to him. Any news or help is greatly appreciated. We have been practically paralized not knowing what to do. This is terrible how can they do this to families? I read on one post that they were supposedly screened carefully? I don't think so. What do we do now? when do they plan on sending them back? I am sooooo frustrated, but I am sooooo glad that I found this site. I guess God really does reach you in times of need.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawnee
OH MY Gosh! that was supposed to say Hello, not Hell. I am so sorry, I must have been typing too fast. Thank you for your welcome JJT.
Nawnee
LMAO!!! Didn't even notice it!!