Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
How much can they spend a week? Im just curious
$100 each week.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnielg View Post
I am not sure since I have only dealt with Florida. I know that it is possible for another inmate to see hubby's balance if he drops a reciept or something. But here they are only allowed to spend a certain amount each week no matter what is in their account.
Thank you I appreciate your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alexo1977 For This Useful Post:
Sunnielg (07-12-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:30 PM

It would be very strange if it didn't take place. Simple economics. It's prohibited in most institutions, but as long as the trade isn't for items greatly disfavored (tattoos, sex, drugs) it's a low enforcement priority. Many institutions have a maximum amount of commissary an inmate can have at one time. Trying to outlaw a black market is like trying to catch air in your hands.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:13 AM

Thanked 1,072 Times in 540 Posts

The CO's know it is going on, it is impossible not to. They just don't care, or have more important things to deal with. Other inmates have asked my husband to buy them stuff in commissary in exchange for stamps. Clearly they either don't have anyone to send them money, or they don't want anyone to send them money because if they owe restitution then they'll have to pay that to the gov't. So if they get an inmate to buy commissary items for them in exchange for stamps, then it works out for them. My husband was quick enough to figure that out, and besides the fact that I don't really want to send in more than $300 every 1-1/2 months, it was easy to say no, but people who want to gamble, or buy stolen food, or whatever, will do it for the stamps. It's ridiculous.

Considering the fact also that there are rooms where guys "store" things that they're not supposed to have, and pay another inmate stamps to keep the stuff in that room, the CO's definitely know, especially because there have been all dorm shakedowns, and a lot of them recently and this stuff is kept in these rooms and never get taken. It is kind of laughable.

Unfortunately, what the CO's are trying to find, but can't seem to find, are the drugs coming over the fence. No inmate is going to help them do their job, not without a good incentive to do so (ie early release for the inmates that deserve it and have no issues) so instead the CO's runaround looking like idiots because these guys are smoking and doing drugs like crazy all the time, and are able to hide it well enough so that even when there's a shakedown, it isn't uncovered. They must be shaking their heads , wondering where the hell it is hidden. And instead, they sit there after visiting and strip search the white collar guys as if they're the ones dumb enough to bring in contraband! Give me a break!!
Old 07-29-2018, 12:43 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,889 Times in 6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Unfortunately, what the CO's are trying to find, but can't seem to find, are the drugs coming over the fence. No inmate is going to help them do their job, not without a good incentive to do so (ie early release for the inmates that deserve it and have no issues) so instead the CO's runaround looking like idiots because these guys are smoking and doing drugs like crazy all the time, and are able to hide it well enough so that even when there's a shakedown, it isn't uncovered. They must be shaking their heads , wondering where the hell it is hidden. And instead, they sit there after visiting and strip search the white collar guys as if they're the ones dumb enough to bring in contraband! Give me a break!!
This made me laugh. I can only comment on the state I'm familiar with, but the COs know EXACTLY where the drugs are, who's dealing but clean/who's dirty and in debt and which staff to "play dumb" around. No over-the-fence-delivery required.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (07-30-2018), Sunnielg (07-30-2018)