Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How important is religion to your relationship?
Very...we share the same faith 24 43.64%
It's part of our lives, but not important to us 3 5.45%
We are spiritual, but not religious 5 9.09%
We are different religions and it's an issue 2 3.64%
We are different religions and it's not an issue 14 25.45%
We are not at all religious at this time in our lives 7 12.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,344 Times in 714 Posts

Very very important to us. We are both Norse Pagan or Asatru and it's our faith that brought us together. I could never imagine being with anyone I didn't share faith with. Our faith be more than just a belief but a way of life and it would be very difficult for someone not of the same faith to understand.

ASPC LEWIS - STINER
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2017, 01:17 PM

This is a complicated question.

We are both the same religion and religion is VERY important to our cultural identity. All one has to do is look at the divisions and where from support came during the wars in the 1990s to see what I mean. The both of us attend the same church and go on important holidays, feast days. I go regularly but he goes when he gets the „feeling" to go.

Our religion has a lot of obligations if one considers it very important to personal lives. The social teachings can be strict and this is where the importance slips. As you can infer, part of this is in regards to premarital actions. Thus, while it is important to us we have knowingly gone against applicable teachings. In turn, we have obviously lessened its importance in our personal lives. As I said, complicated.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:49 PM

We love each other, but the only real commitment we share at this point is to keep growing in our faith in Christ together. My best friend has two small children that have been through some very hard things because of her and her X's drug addiction. She had to give up her kids while she was incarcerated so that her mom could rescue them from foster care and adopt them. It's a difficult situation with a lot of praying and living one day at a time.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:58 PM

Am not sure how to go about that. I think having a discussion about religion might turn them off. I don't know where to start in that department.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:23 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 2,268 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellh37 View Post
Am not sure how to go about that. I think having a discussion about religion might turn them off. I don't know where to start in that department.
In a healthy relationship, two people need to be able to discuss everything. Even the uncomfortable. And who knows, it may not be as bad as you think. Most people are okay talking about religion as long as they don't feel like they're being attacked and having to defend themselves.

Im a secular (agnostic) Buddhist and my LO is spiritual but not religious (used to be a very dedicated Christian, but that's changed during his journey.) It helps that, although he believes in god, he doesn't believe in a god that would send me to hell for not claiming a certain religion. I don't think I could be with someone who thought I was headed for eternal damnation. Seems stressful for both parties.

We're both respectful of one another and never belittle each other for our beliefs and that helps. I don't pray, but I encourage him to because it's important to him. He reads up on what I practice on the down-low and then surprises me with how much he knows We both share the same core values and desires for life and we agreed when we had our first conversation about this that that was most important for us.

It works for us.

The Following User Says Thank You to WeepingWillow For This Useful Post:
Sinir.Fridyrr (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Our friendship started off just writing about the physics of light and landscape & astrophotography. Conversations about God came later after a mutual trust was developed. Both of us are introverts.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 AM
His official girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarGirl View Post
I'm a pretty strong Christian, my guy isn't, but is learning and is starting to believe again and wants to have faith again. I'm just curious how important religion is to your relationship?
To me, a spiritual connection is important. I wouldn't have married him if we were unequally yoked. When we first got together, I was completely focused on my walk with the Lord. Over the years, we seem to have strayed from that focus and I can feel the difference. But we both recognize that distance from God. Sometimes it's him initiating prayer and sometimes it's me. I think we both know that ultimately we won't work without a foundation in Christ. I was a total Jesus freak, Bible thumper and he was so attracted to me. Lol. I love that he was open and receptive. We talked for days about two things: God and music. He tells me that he married me because I saved his soul.

My parents are devout Catholic and lately have stressed the importance of God as the center of our marriage: God established marriage as a covenant, not a contract. WOW.

We are starting a study together to restore our hearts and change our focus.