Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Alabama should be posted here.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Sex offender parole in Alabama

A guy I met in Easterling who was in there for rape made parole after ..15 years, I think. But, they need a home plan.

He's written me, asking me for help - but I certainly can't be of much help to him. He says he needs help with a hotel - but that doesn't make sense to me. Seems if he got out on parole, they would only release him if he had a place to stay. I can help him a little - but I certainly can't have him stay with me, and I certainly can't afford to subsidize him for a month until he gets a job and gets cash flow.

If anyone has any insights on how this gets handled, and what hoops are waiting for him, I'd appreciate it.

I would think, if he could, he'd do better in California. His mother is older, but she's there and Cal. DoC wouldn't have nearly as many hoops for him to jump through to stay out of trouble.

But, that would bring the interstate compact agreement stuff in, which could complicate things.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 02:07 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,074 Times in 12,687 Posts

Some states will allow parole to a motel and/or homeless status, but I just don't know if Alabama is one of those states. You may want to call the local PO's office and ask (without providing your name / your friend's name).

If he considers an interstate compact to California, he should do his due diligence on Cali's SO rules for sex offenders....I've heard its not one of the better states for SO's.

Good luck to your friend, and congratulations to him on his making parole!
Old 04-03-2017, 02:07 PM

I have a friend in California - who was in prison for molesting his own children, if you can wrap your brain around that. I know him to be a good man and still can't fathom what sort of demon possessed him to do such a thing - but that's neither here nor there.

Suffice to say, he's told me that ALL he has to do is check in on his birthday, unless he moves, and then he'll have to update his address. That's it. Once annually, he's got to visit the Sheriff's Office. (In California) Sounds pretty lax to me.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpappy View Post
A guy I met in Easterling who was in there for rape made parole after ..15 years, I think. But, they need a home plan.

He's written me, asking me for help - but I certainly can't be of much help to him. He says he needs help with a hotel - but that doesn't make sense to me. Seems if he got out on parole, they would only release him if he had a place to stay. I can help him a little - but I certainly can't have him stay with me, and I certainly can't afford to subsidize him for a month until he gets a job and gets cash flow.

If anyone has any insights on how this gets handled, and what hoops are waiting for him, I'd appreciate it.

I would think, if he could, he'd do better in California. His mother is older, but she's there and Cal. DoC wouldn't have nearly as many hoops for him to jump through to stay out of trouble.

But, that would bring the interstate compact agreement stuff in, which could complicate things.
You might check into the RSOL group chapters in both states. They might have some advice or contacts to help him. I also found these groups that you might check for resources-http://reformalabama.blogspot.com/ http://all4consolaws.org/category/california/
Old 04-04-2017, 08:32 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 23,852 Times in 12,400 Posts

If he is going to still be on supervision then that is NOT all he has to do.
Parole for a registered sex offender in CA is no walk in the park. (forget even thinking about going to one especially while on parole/probation)

If he is going to be off paper.......he might also consider the registration length.
Not sure if it will remain the same for CA but as of now, its lifetime registration.
If where he's at now he has the possibility to get off the registry......I'd stay put until that point.

He needs to choose very carefully before he decides what he's going to do.

That's my dog's nose art