Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat General Topics & Discussions dealing with Aus/NZ prisons, local laws & legal issues etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Aus/NZ forum post it here!

Old 04-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Making phone calls cheaper for interstate calls Australia?

Hi can anyone give me
Some advice? My partner is in prison in Melbourne and I live in nsw, when he called last night he asked me to join engin to make calls cheaper, I have no
Idea how this works and is it legal for me to do this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,223 Times in 13,215 Posts

Hi Bel611 I can't answer your questions for Australia, but I have moved your thread to the Australian forum Welcome to PTO!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Hi Bel611 I can't answer your questions for Australia, but I have moved your thread to the Australian forum Welcome to PTO!
Thank you very much
The Following User Says Thank You to Bel611 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,588 Times in 1,551 Posts

Another warm welcome to the community. Hopefully someone will show up with that info soon!
Old 04-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,657 Times in 2,566 Posts

Hi welcome to PTO , we have some Australian members they might have an answer for you.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Old 04-15-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel611 View Post
Hi can anyone give me
Some advice? My partner is in prison in Melbourne and I live in nsw, when he called last night he asked me to join engin to make calls cheaper, I have no
Idea how this works and is it legal for me to do this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey hun,

My partner is in remand at Port Phillip currently awaiting sentencing.
I have an Engin number.
What it is, is a land-line numbeIstvan is diverted to your mobile.
But it is one of those things that you do not mention to the screws, as yo
It costs roughly $30 a month.
No up front costs until 2 weeks after activating.
It uses your data to receive the calls.
It helps make their phone money last longer.
They are only allowed $140 a month and if calling mobiles it runs out very quickly.
So having this number, yes it is an extra cost for you.
But it makes it cheaper for them.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:17 AM

Hi!

My boyfriend who is currently in a NSW prison told me about Engin. Was a little hesitant to get it at first because I had no idea what it was. But it is really good and saves a bunch of money on his phone account. Because of Engin he can call me basically as much as he wants.

So you want to get the engin VoIP Extreme Saver which will give you unlimited calls for $30 a month. It gives you a local landline number which will divert to your mobile. You need to be connected to wifi/4G for it to work.

When you sign up they'll ask you what area/suburb you'd like the landline number to be for so just choose the same suburb as the jail. Engin is good too because if your partner gets moved to a different jail you can call up engin and they will give you a new landline number to which ever area he is for free.

When my boyfriend was calling my mobile the cost to his phone account was just under $3 per call. With the engin it's around 40 cents per call.

Funny side note (I found it funny at least)... I swear this engin company makes most of their money from people like us, with loved ones in jail! When I called up to ask them questions they literally said most people use their VoIP service so that theirloved ones can call cheap from jail!! Lol making good business from crime!
Old 06-14-2017, 10:24 AM

Default Hi! New to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAA198 View Post
Hey hun,

My partner is in remand at Port Phillip currently awaiting sentencing.
I have an Engin number.
What it is, is a land-line numbeIstvan is diverted to your mobile.
But it is one of those things that you do not mention to the screws, as yo
It costs roughly $30 a month.
No up front costs until 2 weeks after activating.
It uses your data to receive the calls.
It helps make their phone money last longer.
They are only allowed $140 a month and if calling mobiles it runs out very quickly.
So having this number, yes it is an extra cost for you.
But it makes it cheaper for them.
Hi there
My partner is in remand at Barwon Prison.. I was thinking of getting an Engin number but I wasn't too sure if it worked there? He was currently at Port Phillip and I had a home line but diverted it to my mobile and I think they figured it out and blocked that number because I've tried getting him to add it to his phone list again and no one calls to ask me to approve The mobile calls are just so expensive.. Do you think it's worth me looking into getting an Engin number as well? It's killing me not to be able to speak to him.. and Barwon only has 1 visit a week on the weekends whereas I was so used to seeing him 3 times a week at Port Phillip. Hope you can help!
Old 06-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,384 Times in 1,289 Posts

mstvt - Welcome to PTO and the Australian/NZ forums!! Great to have you here!!

About the Engin phone numbers, are they VOIP? If they are, you may want to be careful, as last time I heard, VOIP numbers were not allowed to be used. They had to be a proper landline number or a mobile number. I'm going to do a bit of research and see what I can find out for you. I don't want you getting into trouble.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ness For This Useful Post:
mstvt (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
mstvt - Welcome to PTO and the Australian/NZ forums!! Great to have you here!!

About the Engin phone numbers, are they VOIP? If they are, you may want to be careful, as last time I heard, VOIP numbers were not allowed to be used. They had to be a proper landline number or a mobile number. I'm going to do a bit of research and see what I can find out for you. I don't want you getting into trouble.
Hi Ness,
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing so much reading but feel like the Australian forums aren't as active as the other ones. Thank you. It's just so frustrating because I do have a landline and I've taken off the divert and asked him to try removing and adding the number again but it's been 1.5 weeks and I haven't received any call from the prison asking me to approve calls I think Engin numbers are VOIP. As I read above.

It's sad as well because he got moved from Port Phillip to Barwon Prison and I was removed off his visitors list and asked to write a governors letter because of a driving offence that I got no conviction for and it was my first time ever in court. Do you know much about the process for these approvals? I've sent my letter in already and I'm just waiting for a reply.

I haven't seen him for just over 2 weeks now It's been the hardest two weeks.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,384 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstvt View Post
Hi Ness,
Thanks for the reply. I've been doing so much reading but feel like the Australian forums aren't as active as the other ones. Thank you. It's just so frustrating because I do have a landline and I've taken off the divert and asked him to try removing and adding the number again but it's been 1.5 weeks and I haven't received any call from the prison asking me to approve calls I think Engin numbers are VOIP. As I read above.

It's sad as well because he got moved from Port Phillip to Barwon Prison and I was removed off his visitors list and asked to write a governors letter because of a driving offence that I got no conviction for and it was my first time ever in court. Do you know much about the process for these approvals? I've sent my letter in already and I'm just waiting for a reply.

I haven't seen him for just over 2 weeks now It's been the hardest two weeks.
Hey there,

So I've done a bit of research and I believe that VOIP are definitely not approved by Victoria Corrections. Here is what it states from the Commissioners Requirements for Prisoners Telephone System.

"Requests for the following categories of telephone numbers will not be approved:
* Operator assisted calls;
* 0055 recorded messages;
* TAB or other betting agencies;
* 1300 and 1800 numbers;
* media organisations;
* pager numbers;
* Exchange lines;
* Corrections Victoria Head Office;
* Minister’s Office;
* Justice Health; and
SKYPE or systems using voice over internet protocol (VOIP)."

Hope this helps with the Engin question.

As to the appeal of your visits, that is a decision you are just going to have to wait for I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure if you get denied, you can appeal it, so lets hope you get an answer soon. If it takes much longer, you might be able to call the prison and find the status on it.

Ness
Old 06-24-2017, 04:15 AM
Donation Award 

If your land line was removed due to them thinking you had a divert on it, they are unlikely to approve it again. I had this happen when someone made an allegation that I was transferring his calls. I ended up getting a second line installed so I could have that number approved. It was a costly exercise. I do have an 0800 number now, that he can call (they approved that number) but it also costs, but it means I don't have to worry about sending in phone cards, so is easier for me.

Perhaps see if you can get a new landline number. (Yes it is a great inconvenience for all those that have your existing number) You may be able to get that approved.

If you try these alternative phones, they may work, but you may get caught out and the number banned.

I am in New Zealand, so things could well be different in Australia, however I doubt they are any easier.