Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Oregon.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:29 AM

Default Expecting to be moved to Deer Ridge Prison - what's it like?

Hey girls,

my man is expecting to be moved to minimum next year, and it's gonna be Deer Ridge. He keeps on saying how things will get easier but at the same time, he says that a lot of people who have been transported from TRCI to DRCM have been transported back because they couldn't handle it. Doesn't sound like easy-going.
Does anyone have their own experiences to share?

Also, what would be the best route to travel (coming by plane)? PDX?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2017, 05:42 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,754 Times in 2,046 Posts

Hi Mrs Tudor,

I moved your thread into the Prison Specific forum both so that you can get better information (hopefully) from folks who know Deer Ridge better than I do and also so that others looking for info on Deer Ridge will be able to see your question.

As I understand it (but I don't know anyone there and never have, so this is just what I've read over the years, both here and in the news), Deer Ridge was built to house all kinds of people, but it isn't a fully functional prison. They keep it open to Minimum people, but the other buildings sit empty. Lack of funds from the legislature have kept it in this semi-open state for years now.

That said, I don't know why people going there couldn't handle it. I know the building has been plagued with problems like plumbing not working right and other poor building issues, but I've not heard anyone complain about being there. So no idea why folks would be being returned or why they couldn't handle it.

Deer Ridge is in Madras, OR, and the nearest reasonable airport is in Bend, OR. I would definitely fly to Bend, though you may have to go through Portland to get there. It's a much shorter drive and Bend is a big vacation town, so there are a reasonable number of flights in/out. It's about an hour driving from Bend to Madras. It's about 2.5 - 3 hours driving from Portland Airport to Madras (although it is a really pretty drive).

Gin
Old 04-20-2017, 05:48 AM

Hey Ginger,

thank you for your response. I have actually made the trip from Redmond to Portland and it was in November - and it was snowing pretty bad around Mt. Hood. Also I drove from Umatilla to Redmond and it was so dark, I was horrified. NO lights anywhere. But you're right, the view is wonderful. Like in the movies actually.
I have also seen Bend which is pretty. Got an Oregon Ducks shirt of which my man was very happy about. LOL

I checked Bend OR airport and it seems as there are going flights from Seattle on a decent rate. I'll be excited and stressed on starting this new chapter. Is visiting like at TRCI in a way of just sitting around or do they allow walks on the yard? That would be sooo awesome...
Old 04-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,754 Times in 2,046 Posts

I'm afraid I don't know what visitation is like, hopefully someone else will know. Not too many people in Deer Ridge since they never brought it fully online to include Medium Security people, so most folks cycling through there are only there a short time.