Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:33 PM

Default I need Serious help with marriage in County Jail

Me and my fiance have been trying since april to get married but the jail told him that because he is curently in a county jail but a federal inmate they will not help him! He has told contact his lawyer! ok well I have called his lawyer and spoke to her private investigator who said she had no idea about how we should go about doing it but she would let his lawyer know that he wanted to know! well here we are in almost july and we have not heard from her! The jail told him that since he is a federal inmate that he had to have the U.S. marshals transport him and he needed to contact his lawyer to get the number well once again spoke to the P.I. and she knows nothing! does anyone know anything about this procedures or how to contact the marshals! anything will be appreciated, I've browsed in the internet but i keep coming up empty! so of course I am getting very P.O.'d! any help is greatly appreciated once again! BTW he is in the state of Pa!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,491 Posts

Are you sure weddings are performed in the jail? Try to contact the chaplain, who would know the ins and outs the best I think. It seems very difficult for pre-sentenced inmates to get married, no matter where they are. Most likely you are going to have to wait until he gets designated.

The bit about the marshals transporting is just stupid, transporting where? A federal judge would have to order that, and what are the chances, none i am guessing. Truthfully, this is not the lawyer's responsibility, if your fiancee can't get the arrangements done inside, it is not going to happen. Jails are a closed system, especially for something like this. The other thing you can do is post on the PA PTO site and see if anybody has any info on the specific jail.

Last edited by bellisq; 06-28-2008 at 02:35 PM..
Old 06-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts

If the county jail allows marriages, then it seems that you could follow those procedures but get the U.S. Marshals to "authorize it" with the jail staff. The AUSA would also have to give his/her O.K. if he hasn't been sentenced yet. I once saw a lawyer arrange for a judge to conduct a marriage ceremony right in Court during a court proceeding for something else - that means the lawyer needs to be willing to approach the judge about doing it. There's also the problem of the marriage license and the regulations for those vary state by state and sometime county by county. You might want to just wait - you don't say at what stage of legal proceedings he's at. Getting married while in custody is very complicated - you can't get "PO'd" - you just have to be diligent and patient and ask a lot of questions of a lot of people to research the steps that have to be taken and when/where is best. Z.

Last edited by Zelda50; 06-28-2008 at 09:17 PM..
Old 06-29-2008, 11:54 AM

Ok thanx you guys! I a Convo wit someone yesterday who explained a lot of this to me! I just didnt know it was this complicated! but he didnt even get sentenced yet so we were figuring we could just do it now! maybe i used the wrong term by saying P.O.'d should have been more like getting frustrated behind the run around!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts

If he has not been sentenced yet, be sure to also have him check with his attorney to see if getting married just prior to sentencing would be a positive or negative - or no effect - on his sentencing. Believe me, some people have a negative attitude toward prisoners who marry while in custody when they are facing a long sentence. Z.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
LadyinPa (07-01-2008)
Old 06-30-2008, 05:31 PM

ok thanks good point! Didnt think about that!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 AM

hi ladyinpa, my husband and i got married in county jail last year while he was detained there awaiting transfer to a federal prison. let me tell you it was a frustrating process. i live in md but he was charged in va. i had to contact the head us marshal in va. i found him somewhere over the internet. i told him my situation how we wanted to get married. he told us that i had to write a letter and my husband had to write a letter and explain very briefly why we wanted to get married. the head marshal would then call up the county jail and give them his okay. then i'd call the county jail and asked for their approval. after that we set a date to get married. i bought a plain white gold band for him. dressed in a little summer dress and i got to marry him in this little room. i hope this helped. good luck to you.