Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia & New Zealand Prison & Jail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia & New Zealand Prison & Jail Discussions If the topic is a prison or jail in either of these countries, this is the place to discuss it!

Old 02-20-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Need to send money to bf in Brisbane correctional centre but I'm in the US

Help! My bf is in the Brisbane correctional centre I just found out, and I'm all the way in the US. How can I send him money to put in his trust so he can call me? I've spoken to a few people that say I can send cash. Can I? Two people that work there say it's my only option being overseas (I'm in the US). Do I put it in the personal letter I'm writing him, or do I send it separately or somewhere else? If it's in the personal letter does the staff take it out and put it in his account when they open the letter to read it? Help! I can't get a clear answer anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2018, 06:48 PM

Does he have any family or friends here in Aus that can help you out?

You can't send cash, cheques or money orders to him but you may be able to use his BPay details online to pay. Also he will have to fill in the form to get approval to call you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princesswife For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (02-21-2018), xolady (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesswife View Post
Does he have any family or friends here in Aus that can help you out?

You can't send cash, cheques or money orders to him but you may be able to use his BPay details online to pay. Also he will have to fill in the form to get approval to call you.

I called and talked with someone at the prison, and they said I can send cash, in AUD, as long as all of my information and his are correct and they will deposit it into his trust. I called later on and spoke with someone else to confirm I could do that. They said they don't suggest you send cash, because there is no way to track it through the mail if it gets lost. And unfortunately he has no family there and no one I know trustworthy enough to wire money to to get to him.

I hope I sent the right information to get on his call list. Just my full name, address, and phone number. Should I have sent more info?
Old 02-21-2018, 05:43 PM

Has he just be charged or has he been sentenced?

If you don't mind me asking, the Aussie courts are very quick at bail hearings & unless his crime is bad he should be bailed within a few days to a week & you won't have to go through all this. (But have it all ready just in case)

If he has been sentence, hence why he's there, you can contact his lawyer & you'll be able to send them money & they can put it in the trust account for you. They will also document everything so the money won't go missing etc.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:46 PM

From memory he is the one that needs to fill in & sign the form for telephone. The prison will call you (expect this in the middle of the night due to the time difference) to make sure & then whoever at the prison that approves it has to sign off on it. This can sometimes take a bit of time.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
From memory he is the one that needs to fill in & sign the form for telephone. The prison will call you (expect this in the middle of the night due to the time difference) to make sure & then whoever at the prison that approves it has to sign off on it. This can sometimes take a bit of time.
But my name and phone number is all he would need?

And I don't know what is going on at all. I didn't hear from him for a week and knew something was up and managed to find out he was in jail. When I was searching for him someone at a Watch Tower unofficially told me he had been charged with steroid trafficking and assault and that he had a court hearing in a few weeks. When I spoke to someone else at BCC, they said he wouldn't be there if he hadn't been convicted/sentenced for something, and that it's possible he was sentenced for the assault and then has court for the trafficking soon. Or he could be denied bail because he is not a citizen there and is considered a "flight risk." again, because of the strict privacy laws, they wouldn't tell me anything.
I don't even know what kind of sentence he would be looking at. I know he was trafficking small amounts, and has no prior criminal history. I've heard that most courts treat prison as a "last resort" there. I'm so scared because I don't know anything and they won't tell me anything and I haven't had contact with him yet.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:17 PM

Name & number, maybe address. I've never seen the form.

Do you want to PM me the info you have & I'l try to find out details? I'm currently in Aus. Yes, we have very strict privacy laws so finding out info is almost impossible.

For those crimes, unless the assault was bad or on a police officer he should get bail quite easily & if he's a flight risk they just take away his passport & monitor him (including putting him on the no flight list). Most likely he'll be given a hefty fine & deported.

We aren't as harsh as the USA in terms of we still believe a person is innocent until proven guilty, that's why we don't like to leave people in jail for months until they are sentenced. We also don't split charges up, you go to court for all charges at the same time. Also we don't have a system such as yours with county jail (awaiting trail, sentencing) & prison (doing sentence). Here they are all one & the same, you get placed where there's a bed.

Last edited by princesswife; 02-21-2018 at 07:22 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Name & number, maybe address. I've never seen the form.

Do you want to PM me the info you have & I'l try to find out details? I'm currently in Aus. Yes, we have very strict privacy laws so finding out info is almost impossible.

For those crimes, unless the assault was bad or on a police officer he should get bail quite easily & if he's a flight risk they just take away his passport & monitor him (including putting him on the no flight list). Most likely he'll be given a hefty fine & deported.

We aren't as harsh as the USA in terms of we still believe a person is innocent until proven guilty, that's why we don't like to leave people in jail for months until they are sentenced. We also don't split charges up, you go to court for all charges at the same time. Also we don't have a system such as yours with county jail (awaiting trail, sentencing) & prison (doing sentence). Here they are all one & the same, you get placed where there's a bed.
Yes I will PM you