Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:31 AM

Thanked 1,207 Times in 612 Posts
Default Any experiences with the FLM program?

Has anyone had success in getting their LO into the FLM progam, and/or if they have what the process has been?

My husband is eligible, however, everyone keeps punting the ball back to the next person so it's just one big run around. The case manager however is avoiding the lawyer, basically because we're pretty sure he has to fill the paper work out for the recommendation and is just too lazy to do it.

The USPO here is on board with it, so they're not the problem. Just wondering if anyone knows how or who to push to get the ball rolling?

Also, as far as emails at the various prisons for people..does anyone know the specific format? In other words, is it first initial last name @......gov or something like that? We're having the lawyer send an email, since the guy won't call back, but has at least mentioned it to my husband. Just want to make sure the email gets to him. The counselor was engaged with one of his other lawyers previously, so we have his email, so wonder if the format is consistent and if so, can go off that, for him to email the case manager. We know they do FLM here, because we know others that have gotten it from Duluth to Chicago, so that's not the issue. Just more of the typical "I don't wan to be bothered nonsense".

My husband is actually ok going to the HWH if need be for the orientation, if not FLM, however, the HWH is screwing people who have previously been approved for direct HC and not letting them out after orientation and saying the BOP changed their mind, or that they're 6 weeks behind on home visits to check the land line, etc. and that is what we're trying to avoid most specifically. But to avoid the HWH altogether via FLM would be ideal.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,351 Times in 11,852 Posts

Is this the FLM you are talking about?
http://www.uscourts.gov/sites/defaul...s/78_1_3_0.pdf

and the bop policy statement about home confinement.
https://sentencing.net/wp-content/up...ay-24-2013.pdf

I hope your husband's lawyer is able to get some traction with the case manager, but bop employees are usually protected against any outside pressure. If he does end up in the HWH, the staff there is only part of the problem. Everything associated with home confinement has to also be approved by the bop community corrections manager, CCM.

All I know about bop email addresses is this, xxxExecAssistant@bop.gov, so I don't know if the actual staff member's name will work.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:07 AM

Ok, this may be a dumb question but what is FLM?
Old 11-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

FLM: Federal Location Monitoring Program, aka GPS ankle monitor checking instead of prison.

Here's a Government Accountability Office, GAO, report on the various options available to the bop.
https://www.gao.gov/assets/680/677983.pdf
Old 11-08-2018, 01:12 PM

I skimmed over that pdf and was a bit confused as if this was used as only an alternative to post incarceration or how much this is used as an actual alternative to prison in the first place.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Since so much control lies with the bop, the fact is it means whatever they want it to mean. The laws, including the Second Chance Act, give the bop complete discretion to do anything they want to do, or more likely, not to do anything.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl22472 View Post
I skimmed over that pdf and was a bit confused as if this was used as only an alternative to post incarceration or how much this is used as an actual alternative to prison in the first place.
It's a program for people to go right to home confinement through the BOP as opposed to the HWH. In his case he wouldn't need an ankle monitor. It used to be for people who lived in rural areas where the HWH was too far from their "home base" but that changed about 5 years ago and it's more widespread. Chicago USPO has a set program now for people that deal with the USPO and don't have to deal with the nonsense at the HWH. Unfortunately, here you need to go to orientation (which is a complete joke) at the HWH for 10 days - 2 weeks before they let you out for HC. But like I said, they're also making up their own rules that they're behind on the visits to check landlines, etc. Fortunately, our lawyer does know the head of the HWH and will be in his face before my husband even gets there, but we are hoping he never has to get there in the first place!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-08-2018), Girl22472 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It will be a great thing if he can avoid the HWH altogether. I remember reading that going to home confinement directly from a bop incarceration (I don't know if that has anything to do with FLM or not) is supervised by US Probation instead of by the HWH staff. Does that mean living at the HWH for orientation first? I have no idea.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
It will be a great thing if he can avoid the HWH altogether. I remember reading that going to home confinement directly from a bop incarceration (I don't know if that has anything to do with FLM or not) is supervised by US Probation instead of by the HWH staff. Does that mean living at the HWH for orientation first? I have no idea.
Yep, you understand it correctly. It is skipping everything and anything about the HWH altogether. Period. He would go from Duluth, to our house! If he doesn't get that, which the lawyer said is a longshot based on all the bs that goes on, he will have to go to the HWH with orientation which is 10-14 days, and then he is approved to go right to HC. He has a job, so that's good, but the HWH we've heard doesn't care, and even though we have the landline already set up as well, they claim they are 6 weeks behind with the home visits to check that. His entire HWH time is only 53 days, so it is manageable in a worse case scenario but would definitely make things easier if he is home. As I've previously mentioned, he gets out Jan 31, just in time for the absolute worst weather. The HWH is in a terrible neighborhood and considering it will be dark at 5pm, it won't be that easy for me to run down there and drop stuff off for him or visit. I am at least starting to keep soap and shampoo from my hotel stays and gather other toiletries together for him for him to have and then just leave at the HWH. If they let them have laptops there, he would actually be productive and get a ton of work done during that time, but they don't, so it's actually just a big nuisance and waste of time.

At the end of the day, the bottom line is that he will be out of there and almost home, so for that we are grateful. It is going fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 04:25 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It seemed to me that every part of the bop experience was made much harder than necessary, especially for family.