Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > 911 > Prison Petitions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Petitions Post all petitions here.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Default End the sex offender registry petition

Here is a prtiton I found to do away with the stupid SO registry

https://www.change.org/p/end-sex-off...d-all-the-laws
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stupidoncomp For This Useful Post:
Karen78 (05-20-2017), lin787 (05-18-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 10:12 PM

Thanked 1,166 Times in 478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidoncomp View Post
Here is a prtiton I found to do away with the stupid SO registry

https://www.change.org/p/end-sex-off...d-all-the-laws
I have signed it. Sad to see how few people have done that. You might also try sharing it with the Women Against Registry & RSOL groups. They are making every effort to change laws & get people with this label a chance to regain a life after serving their sentence.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

Even as the soon to be wife of a sex offender, I disagree with total abolishment of the registry. I think they drastically need to change the registry so that only the highest level offenders or those deemed to be high risk via assessment show up on it, but it does have a place.
Dobbie_Elf (04-27-2017), Fitgirl13 (04-11-2017), Lovebirds (04-11-2017), lucky71013 (04-10-2017), Marseille (04-28-2017), Nomes (04-26-2017), nygirl17 (04-10-2017), priceam (04-28-2017), Shawty2017 (07-13-2017), Texasflower08 (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:05 PM

I agree with you Revenwyn, but I think the worst part of the registry is what it says to the victims. That sexual assault is the worst thing that can happen to you. That there is not the same urgency to protect you from murderers or drug dealers or drunk drivers as there is from sex offenders. The overall attitude from society about sex crimes is what makes recovery so difficult.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rnsgaig For This Useful Post:
Nomes (04-26-2017), onparoleinTO (04-20-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 05:18 PM

I looked at that petition; it was started years ago. Looks like little to nothing came of it. Or will come of it.

I notice a few of you are in CA. The "highest level offenders" in California - registry sometimes doesn't matter. After serving their prison term pedophiles often are committed by the courts to Coalinga State Hospital for "treatment". It's a hospital in name. Nicer than a prison. But prison nonetheless. If you go there it is unlikely you ever get released.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,073 Times in 6,823 Posts

And with all that being said, this forum is for posting petitions, not discussing the merits of whether or not there should be a sex offender registry. If anyone wants to start a discussion on that, please do so in the proper forum.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM

I just signed and agree the whole thing is stupid. The SO laws that are supposed to "protect children" actually do nothing to accomplish this, only make it so difficult for sex offenders that they often re-offend in order to have a roof over their heads and food to eat
Old 04-28-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
Even as the soon to be wife of a sex offender, I disagree with total abolishment of the registry. I think they drastically need to change the registry so that only the highest level offenders or those deemed to be high risk via assessment show up on it, but it does have a place.
I do agree with that. There are some "monsters" that people should be made aware of. Even as the mother of a "sex offender" I believe that to be necessary. But if abolishment of the registry is the only change they will make I will gladly sign the petition. I am so ready for my nightmare to be over.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:02 PM

I signed. There is another one on that website I signed yesterday for the same cause. Thank you for pointing this one out. I'd sign them all.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:06 PM

Default Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
I have signed it. Sad to see how few people have done that. You might also try sharing it with the Women Against Registry & RSOL groups. They are making every effort to change laws & get people with this label a chance to regain a life after serving their sentence.
Hi. Could you please tell me where to locate these groups you speak of? I'd like to join them. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:37 PM

I hope we get a bigger list. SOs maybe cant help themselves, but our children do not understand that when they are being torn apart.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:58 PM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin787 View Post
I hope we get a bigger list. SOs maybe cant help themselves, but our children do not understand that when they are being torn apart.
Thank you for your concern.

A short list for you to ponder on:

- Have you by chance checked what offenses can land you on the SO list for life?

You might be surprised by just how little is needed. A simple stop by the side of the road on a long stretch with no restroom in sight can land you there. A Sophomore and a Senior in High School on a romantic date. A school prank of "Ethel Ethel!!!" Or, , more extreme, a vengful ex wife or turned down date.

- Have you by chance checked the statistics on sexual abuse rates - as in who the abusers are most likely to be?

According to a 2003 National Institute of Justice report, 3 out of 4 adolescents who have been sexually assaulted were victimized by someone they knew well (page 5).

- Have you by chance checked up how likely an SO is to reoffend?

Exerpt from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-h..._b_976765.html

2.5% of released rapists

Contrary to popular belief, as a group, sex offenders have the lowest rate of recidivism of all the crime categories. These statistics completely fly in the face of conventional wisdom about sex offenders being the most likely group of criminals to re-offend for their initial crime, but these are the facts. It could be argued that sex offender recidivism isn’t detected and that is why this number is so low, but that could also be said of other crime categories, too.

Oh - on the side, it is also considered a new sex charge if a registered SO fails to report. That is very simple to do, btw. The could actually go on vacation. Try a road trip. They have to ask permission to leave where they are registered - and report where they are staying along the way. Every town has their own rules as to how long an RSO is allowed to be there before they need to register. And if they visit the same place more often, they have to make sure they don't count accumulated time. And I am not talking about parolees who have to report to their Parole Officer to maybe even start a relationship. I am talking about the RSOs that have served their time and are off paper.

I am sure that I and others could go on for ages, but I am going to stop with my points now before I sound snotty - which I have no intention to, so forgive me if I have come off sounding offish.
GaReform (05-18-2017), patchouli (05-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Signed and shared it. Thank you for posting.