Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > LOVING A... > Loving a Lifer
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Loving a Lifer For those whose loved one is serving a life sentence.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned

mine is lwop too well he has 102 years
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Coopers disciple

Life without parole, 12 years down, he's 34 now. Breaks my heart to see youth going to waste like this. Recently transferred to the USP Lewisburg cadre.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:16 PM
Banned

my husband has 76 years to life
Old 11-22-2017, 02:23 PM

omg!! How do you all cope? How do your loved ones cope? It's totally barbaric, inhuman let alone degrading to them and their families. I sit here across the pond in the UK thinking I have a bad deal as I and my family are not coping with my sons behaviour since he's been released, and suddenly I get jolted back to reality and realise how fortunate I really am.

What support do you all get, after all it's the end of your life as you new it. It's incomprehensible to me, maybe if I had come on this site when my son was still in prison I may have handled things differently instead of giving the big 'woe is me'. Whether you are all coping or not you are all to be admired as you all have had no choice in the hand that's been dealt to you.

I often read the posts on here. You are all special people and offer each other immense support even though your world has fallen apart.

I see you all heart felt love and huge hugs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jazzie-ben For This Useful Post:
maytayah (03-10-2018), Sarianna (03-11-2018), smiles844 (12-21-2017), The_Real_Hmm (04-09-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Donation Award 

My Lo is LWOP on 3 strikes in Washington he has served 14 years
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker8ell55 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (03-11-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 05:48 AM

my husband was just convicted and the only sentence is life w/o parole. it is like he died but he's not. how do you cope?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat500 View Post
my husband was just convicted and the only sentence is life w/o parole. it is like he died but he's not. how do you cope?
I'm so sorry-can not imagine what you must be feeling. It is so difficult-everything changes-as you said it's like he died but he didn't. Take it one day at a time. There are a lot of threads here in loving a lifer and elsewhere on PT to give you more ideas of how to cope. Ultimately, you'll need to find what works for you and keep positive supports around to carry you through.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles844 View Post
I'm so sorry-can not imagine what you must be feeling. It is so difficult-everything changes-as you said it's like he died but he didn't. Take it one day at a time. There are a lot of threads here in loving a lifer and elsewhere on PT to give you more ideas of how to cope. Ultimately, you'll need to find what works for you and keep positive supports around to carry you through.
Thank you for your support. i have a couple of friends of my husband that know about it and i can talk to them and i have a family member too. i also talked to a counselor. it all helps.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:24 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,543 Times in 7,530 Posts

Check https://www.theotherdeathpenalty.org
This is advocacy for those serving LWOP. They are seeking changes to the law so that everybody has a chance at parole.

Shane is doing LWOP in TN for a murder, attempt murder, and kidnap. He was 22 at the time and is now in his 30's. He stayed with me for much of a year after his father's suicide as his mother could not cope. My memories of him are as a gawky 13 year old with a good heart who made sure every kid could participate in neighborhood games. He refereed conflicts among other kids as they sought him out for his fairness. I was a friend of the family since he was about 10 but lost touch just before he went to college. Total shock when he did his crime, but in retrospect it was predictable.

Now, he's made a life inside. He has friends, work, and stuff he's working on. Sadly, there's a sense of permanence in prison that he lacked and craved on the outside. It's just terrible that he's never going to have a chance to create a life on the outside. TN, you know. Barring a SCOTUS finding that all LWOP sentences are unconstitutional, both going forward and retroactively, he will live his entire life inside.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
chosenmemories (02-04-2019), fbopnomore (04-25-2018), Nomes (06-24-2018), smiles844 (04-25-2018), Taliba00 (08-04-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 09:28 PM

Default Lifer in new jersey

Is there anyone with a loved one at new jersey state prison?
Old 07-29-2018, 07:56 PM
Account Closed

Yes my Boyfriend is LWOP he is currently at cci Tehachapi 20+ years in
Old 08-02-2018, 07:48 PM

Default Hanging in there

My man will never get out unless the laws change. It is very, very difficult to love someone in this situation but it can be done. You need to be very independent about handling your business because he can't help you beyond empowering you with morale support and love. Focus on what is good and make it better. i look for every creative way I can to expand our relationship and my lifer is spoiled rotten! No matter how bad my day is, his is worse, which makes it tough to complain, but problems out here are still problems. I discipline my emotions because I have to cope with the fact that he will never be coming home. Yet, his presence lives with me. I am getting involved in prison reform because it is one way i can help change things. Own your life and love your man
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RaeLR For This Useful Post:
canttouchthis (09-04-2018), Hoosier girl (02-05-2019), Taliba00 (08-04-2018), Yvettee805 (09-02-2018)
Old 01-28-2019, 04:35 PM

My step-son got 8 Life Sentences after taking it to trial. There was 0 evidence and was completely based on hearsay. He would not take a plea deal for something he didnt do. He just arrived at Graceville CF in Florida after 2 years in county fighting his case. I am completely new to PTO so please bear with me.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:26 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdousay09 View Post
My step-son got 8 Life Sentences after taking it to trial. There was 0 evidence and was completely based on hearsay. He would not take a plea deal for something he didnt do. He just arrived at Graceville CF in Florida after 2 years in county fighting his case. I am completely new to PTO so please bear with me.
Welcome to Prison Talk - I am glad you found us and decided to join, although I am very sorry for what your family is going through

You might find our forum Parents With Children In Prison also helpful....Sometimes it brings comfort knowing there are others in the same position. Sending you strength!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
jdousay09 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 10:33 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,944 Times in 12,162 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I'm sorry for what happened and hope your step-son has a better result from the appeals courts.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:00 AM

Thanks! Us too! I have no idea what we can do to help him. We cant afford much. We are barely holding our own head above the water. We have 8 other kids and 7 grandkids we are trying help support. Ontop of his 3 children we now take care of. Its rough but hopefully things will settle down soon and we can all adjust to our new normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdousay09 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-31-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 AM

Fiance of a lifer. I know it sounds odd but we are MWI. I DIDN'T go in to the pen pal "relationship" intending to fall in love but K is so damn sexy, sweet, funny, caring, just...so amazing. I couldn't be more fortunate than to know he is mine. I am in NY, he is in C.A. I am truly blessed, we get conjugal visits! ❤
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

A friend from HS was just convicted of Murder and received Life without Parole. He is in his late 30's and we have been friends for almost 20 years. While he was still in county it was easy for me to think, oh I will write to him and eventually he will be out. Now I have had to wrap my head around the fact that I have a permanent penpal. I couldn't bring myself to stop writing him or being supportive. Regardless of what he has done, I can't throw him away. He isn't involved in drugs, never has been, He was convicted because he made a stupid choice. Granted it was a HUGE stupid choice but still....He's has paid dearly for this choice. His marriage is destroyed, he won't be able to watch his kids grow up, he lost his career, he lost his freedom, and he lost most of his friends. I am very aware that because of his actions that another family is grieving the loss of a loved one. It's been difficult for me to wrap my head around it. My husband has been gracious in allowing me to write him and has been supportive as well.
We are very early on in his sentence...but I figure I've been friends with him for 20 years, and seen him through deployments and so I can continue to be friends with him through this.
The Following User Says Thank You to forsaflower For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaflower View Post
A friend from HS was just convicted of Murder and received Life without Parole. He is in his late 30's and we have been friends for almost 20 years. While he was still in county it was easy for me to think, oh I will write to him and eventually he will be out. Now I have had to wrap my head around the fact that I have a permanent penpal. I couldn't bring myself to stop writing him or being supportive. Regardless of what he has done, I can't throw him away. He isn't involved in drugs, never has been, He was convicted because he made a stupid choice. Granted it was a HUGE stupid choice but still....He's has paid dearly for this choice. His marriage is destroyed, he won't be able to watch his kids grow up, he lost his career, he lost his freedom, and he lost most of his friends. I am very aware that because of his actions that another family is grieving the loss of a loved one. It's been difficult for me to wrap my head around it. My husband has been gracious in allowing me to write him and has been supportive as well.
We are very early on in his sentence...but I figure I've been friends with him for 20 years, and seen him through deployments and so I can continue to be friends with him through this.
So sorry to hear this. You’re an amazing friend for sticking by him, it will mean the world to him. Reading between the lines a bit but you mentioned deployment... so he’s a vet with likely PTSD?
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

My man was sentenced to LWOP at 16. That will change one day (positive thinking)
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM

While he has not ever admitted to PTSD, etc I suspect that may be the case. I feel for him, as I know what it's like coming back from deployment not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiPP View Post
So sorry to hear this. You’re an amazing friend for sticking by him, it will mean the world to him. Reading between the lines a bit but you mentioned deployment... so he’s a vet with likely PTSD?
KiwiPP (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaflower View Post
While he has not ever admitted to PTSD, etc I suspect that may be the case. I feel for him, as I know what it's like coming back from deployment not the same.
Yea super common from deployment hey. I remember reading somewhere that it was being argued vets with PTSD shouldn’t receive such harsh sentences. Who knows, laws change all the time, he might get a parole date one day.
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM

That is always a possibility. I am trying to remain positive but realistic that it may not happen or may not happen for a long, long time.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiPP View Post
Yea super common from deployment hey. I remember reading somewhere that it was being argued vets with PTSD shouldn’t receive such harsh sentences. Who knows, laws change all the time, he might get a parole date one day.
KiwiPP (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM

My bf is on deathrow & been down 9yrs. He was just a friend but I fell for him. I pray he will be able to see his freedom & be with his kids but he has capital murder so I know the only 2 outcomes. He dies of natural causes or by the state. But no matter what i love him & everybody deserves a second chance