Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan Prison News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Default 12-hour shifts

12-HOUR SHIFTS: The Department is determined to implement 10 or 12 hour shifts for all custody staff. This will likely occur around October for supervisors and soon after that for rank and file officers, if the Department succeeds in negotiations.

http://www.mage.org/news.htm#UPDATE FOR MAGE MEMBERS IN CORRECTIONS posted 3.9.11
Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 AM

I'm a COE9 in the MDOC. The 12-hour idea is overwhelmingly disliked at the facility I work at. I'm just glad for myself that I only have about 1 year to go. I feel sorry for those that will have to do 10, 20, or 30 more years and those lower seniority that will likely be laid-off.

Last edited by Napalm Heart; 03-22-2011 at 08:11 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm Heart View Post
I'm a COE9 in the MDOC. The 12-hour idea is overwhelmingly disliked at the facility I work at. I'm just glad for myself that I only have about 1 year to go. I feel sorry for those that will have to do 10, 20, or 30 more years and those lower seniority that will likely be laid-off.
I don't think 12 hour shifts are safe for officers or inmates. Tired cranky people make mistakes and get on each others nerves. We don't need more mistakes or tension in a prison.

And happy retirement to ya next year!

Last edited by RAJustice; 03-22-2011 at 08:43 AM..
Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 AM

I think 10 hours would be ok but not 12 hour shifts.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:27 PM

Hmmmm - 10/12 hour shifts are dangerous and make for mistakes, yet we have nurses and doctors doing this all the time in hospitals. That is far more dangerous and more costly when it comes to mistakes.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpdbd View Post
Hmmmm - 10/12 hour shifts are dangerous and make for mistakes, yet we have nurses and doctors doing this all the time in hospitals. That is far more dangerous and more costly when it comes to mistakes.
Yes, it has been proven in hospitals that working long shifts isn't a good idea. It causes problems that end up costing money and ruining lives.

Often decent conditions for officers are in the best interest of the inmates and decent conditions for the inmates are in the best interest of the officers.
dmpdbd (03-22-2011), JUDEFAC (03-23-2011), sucker4mylove (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM

Sure does not sound like a good thing to us. That is way too long of a shift to work in that position. It seems like it would make the CO's cranky, tired and irritable; then in turn it that cranky, tired and irritable CO would take it out on the inmates.
Is this something that will be coming up in their negotiations - or something that Synder is pushing on the MDOC is pushing as a cost saving ?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce6850 View Post
Sure does not sound like a good thing to us. That is way too long of a shift to work in that position. It seems like it would make the CO's cranky, tired and irritable; then in turn it that cranky, tired and irritable CO would take it out on the inmates.
Is this something that will be coming up in their negotiations - or something that Synder is pushing on the MDOC is pushing as a cost saving ?
It's suppose to start with non-union custody (Captains, Lt's, Sgt's) first so no bargaining would be involved. I don't know where the idea came from.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 AM

They've been talking about it for years. It sounds like it may happen this time though or at least they will try it. I can see where they could get cranky but an extra day off a week would be nice too. I don't see how it will work with some officers that are driving over 2 hours for work one way right now though. They might as well either get a room or pack up and move because there will no longer be enough time in between shifts to do that. But that's their problem, not ours.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE4FUTURE View Post
But that's their problem, not ours.
It's good to aware of possible changes before they become problems. I know some of the guys who have the long drives took annual and sick leave today. It seems that would happen more if the shifts were longer. More mandates, more overtime, more money spent.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Thanked 1,136 Times in 619 Posts

the article linked by the OP states that Muskegon will close June 1st. can anyone verify this?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 PM

Thanked 1,136 Times in 619 Posts

a long time ago i worked four twelves a week as a taxicab dispatcher. the first 8 hours were fine. the last four required an overabundance of coffee to keep me going through the hoarse voice and difficulty of focusing on anything for that length of time. the three days off in a row looked good on paper - but i was such a zombie, i don't think i did anything but veg. this was not too bad for me, considering: i lived about 8 blocks from work & could walk it in ten minutes.

i think a required 12-hour shift for CO's is asking for trouble in a lot of places. i hope the employees to be affected are smart enough to dig up some effectiveness studies to avert this.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker4mylove View Post
the article linked by the OP states that Muskegon will close June 1st. can anyone verify this?
That's what they're aiming for but the employees haven't been given a date. About half of them will be moved over to West Shoreline bumping a bunch of new employees over there.

Brooks might be a possibility for the additional closure Gov. Snyder is asking for. It's an old pole barn style facility.
sucker4mylove (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker4mylove View Post
a long time ago i worked four twelves a week as a taxicab dispatcher. the first 8 hours were fine. the last four required an overabundance of coffee to keep me going through the hoarse voice and difficulty of focusing on anything for that length of time. the three days off in a row looked good on paper - but i was such a zombie, i don't think i did anything but veg. this was not too bad for me, considering: i lived about 8 blocks from work & could walk it in ten minutes.

i think a required 12-hour shift for CO's is asking for trouble in a lot of places. i hope the employees to be affected are smart enough to dig up some effectiveness studies to avert this.
I worked night time 12's at a direct care home for a few months for some extra income. It was 6pm to 6am then off to my real job for a 9am to 5pm shift. I was sleeping in my car between shifts and showered more than once at the home. One day I was so whipped I put my dirty socks back on after showering. Eventually I got a pomotion at the real job and gave up the night shifts but it's a wonder I didn't fall asleep driving or give someone the wrong pills.
sucker4mylove (03-23-2011)