Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, halfway house, community service, electronic monitoring, etc. in New Jersey should be posted here.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:01 PM

Default Talbot Hall - Kearny, NJ UPDATED

This is for information regarding Talbot Hall (Assessment Center) in Kearny, NJ. My man is currently in this facility and has been for a few months now, so I figured I would share some info. Before I knew all of this I searched for some info and some of the posts on here are verrrryy old.. and a little inaccurate so I figured I would update it for anyone who has someone going there.

So there is quite a lot to cover, I will try to organize it.

So for some general info, your guy will more than likely arrive on a Monday or Tuesday (my BF arrived on a Tuesday). He can receive a drop-off within the first 7 days he is there and the person dropping off does NOT have to be already on the list. HOWEVER, after the first 7 days... this no longer applies and anyone who is dropping off a package needs to be on the resident's list. He can call you as soon as he gets there. Once they arrive, they go straight to orientation so it might be a phone call later on in the evening, but he can call right away. The first weekend he is there, he cannot receive a visit. This is the "blackout period". Make sure he puts his list in ASAP this way the following weekend you will be able to visit. The facility is a 60-90 day program and typically the residents go here before the halfway house. Around 60 days into programming, the residents begin to seek classification and will start to find out where they will be going.

Phone Calls:
Talbot hall used Global Tel Link (GTL), so I would recommend creating an account online this way when he is able to call you, you already have money for the phone. The pricing depends on your area code and how far it is from Kearny. If the area code is in south jersey, it'll be more expensive than if the area code is near the facility. The residents can call everyday, whenever they have time (the phone is in their rooms). Phones shut off at 10:45PM except for Friday and Saturday. On Fri and Sat, they have "late nights" so they can talk all the way until 1AM!!! It's nice cause when my man calls me we sometimes will talk from 11pm-1Am (it adds up tho! lol). The longer you are on the phone, the cheaper it gets..so use the time wisely!

Drop offs:
Residents are allowed 1 window drop off every 7 days or 2 mail-ins. The list is based off of what I've seen and what I've dropped off/what my man needs. They're very specific on what they allow so I will try to list everything as best as I can.

7 Shirts (Non-white) - This means graphic t-shirts, flannel shirts, button downs,etc. Nothing with guns or any explicit phrases..you know the deal.
7 Pants - This includes jeans, dress pants, and sweatpants. Jeans cannot have rips or holes in them.
I forget if the following is 5 or 7 of each...I would bring 7 and see what they say.
5 Pairs of underwear
5 White Tee shirts - Basically just undershirts or some fruit of the loom/hanes t-shirts.
5 pairs of socks (long or short)
2 Belts
1 Watch
3 Pairs of shoes (can be sneakers, boots, dress shoes)
1 Jacket/Coat (with a zipper, NO Hood)
1 Sweater (NO zipper, NO hood)
1 pair of PJ pants

Toiletries allowed:
They aren't allowed to be brought any shampoo/conditioner, soap, deoderant, etc.. they have to order these things through cantine.

Toilet paper
Wipes - Make sure they say "flushable" on the package, or they won't accept them...been there and I was so annoyed! lol
1 Lint roller
Tweezers
Hair ties
Shower cap

Miscellaneous items:
1 CD player/Radio (battery operated only) - they sell CD players with a built in radio, that's the best bet. They don't let you give any batteries, the resident has to buy them on his own.
12 CDs
1 Blanket
Twin Sheetset
Bath towel (1 or 2)

I might be forgetting some things.. so if you have questions, I will try to answer them!

For visits:
One thing that they stopped doing was allowing you to bring in food. Other posts say you can but they stopped doing that.

From mid May-mid October each resident is allowed to receive both a Saturday AND Sunday visit from the SAME person. During the "winter schedule", residents are still allowed to have a visit on Saturday and Sunday, but by two DIFFERENT people. It's really silly, but that's the rule they have. If you have children, the children can go on both days but need to be accompanied by a different adult.

Saturday and Sunday visits:
Registration starts at 11:30AM. Visit runs from 12PM-4PM..4 hour visits feel great ladies! lol

You can leave whenever you choose, you don't have to stay the full 4 hours if you don't want to, But they don't allow visitors after 3:30.
You're allowed to bring in your keys, money, and ID only. I bring a clear plastic bag this way I can put my keys, ID and money in there. They have vending machines so that's why they allow money. Try to only bring change, $1 and 5$ because the change machine is not always working.

If you have kids.. they allow you to bring an extra diaper and wipes, also a bottle but they don't allow you to bring liquid in the bottle (again, another silly rule). If they see you have something in it they will tell you to dump it out. There are no lockers in this facility so make sure you only have keys, money, ID. Leave anything else in the car.

Dress code:
For guys..nothing too crazy. Just make sure you do not have any rips or holes in your pants. They will NOT let you in.

Ladies.. this part is probably the most annoying about Talbot Hall.
They are very specific on what you are allowed to wear. I will say, you ARE allowed to wear bras with underwire so no more ruining nice bras!
However, make sure you are not wearing anything that is even a little tight to your skin. No leggings or tights. Again, make sure if you are wearing jeans that you do NOT have rips or holes. Your shirt MUST cover your butt completely, and come down to your thigh. I would suggest wearing a very oversized shirt. You can wear cardigans and sweaters, but they must also cover your butt completely. They will most definitely make sure everyone fits the dress code and they WILL send you away if it is not covering your butt. I've seen this happen every single time I've gone and it's really unfortunate. I recommend bringing something extra for your first time so you know what works and you have a backup. Don't wear anything that reveals your chest and nothing with thin straps- make sure you have short sleeves at least.

You CAN wear scarves and bring in jackets. They let you bring it in and will just ask to search it. If it is raining, they do allow you to bring in your umbrella. If you ladies are on that "time of the month" you can bring in feminine products in your clear ziploc bag. I recommend being prepared because they don't have any feminine products in their bathrooms.

Monday Visits
Monday night is family night. This visit has a separate visitation list, so make sure your resident is putting you on BOTH lists if you want to attend weekend and Monday.

Registration starts at 6:30 PM until 7PM. If you arrive at 7:01, they have no remorse and will NOT let you in. Get there as early as you can because they will close the doors at 7 on the dot.

From about 7:15-8, there is a counselor who meets with the visitors in a group room and each Monday there is a different topic. It's an open discussion and you do not have to voice your opinion if you don't want to but it is required that you go to the group discussion if you want to see your resident.
If you have children, your children will sit in the cafeteria with the resident while you are in the group discussion. They have activities and games for them to play during that time, so it's good for the kids to bond with their daddies/uncles/brothers,etc.
Once the discussion is over at 8, you go back into the cafeteria and if you don't have kids, they will seat you and then the residents will come down. This process is much quicker than on the weekends. Usually on Monday nights since the visit is shorter, the residents are already downstairs waiting for the lecture to be over this way they can get the residents right into the cafeteria.
So from 8-9 is the visit. Again, you can use the vending machines like on the weekends if you would like to. They serve dinner to you and the resident. It isn't the best tasting food.. lol so don't expect anything much. But, it is an opportunity for your resident to eat a second dinner so it's a benefit for them more than anything.
The residents receive the same lecture on the same topic as the visitors received on Tuesday morning. This is MANDATORY for any resident that received a Monday night visit. This is a good thing because both you and your resident are hearing the same thing from the counselor. If they do not attend on Tuesday morning, then they get a demerit- so make sure you remind them!!
I would recommend going at least once or twice on Monday because it shows that the resident has a good support system.

You can make an appointment with a counselor if you would like a one on one session with you and your resident if you would like to. During family night on Monday the counselors have sheets that you can fill out and you write down your availability and contact info and a counselor will call you and schedule a time for you to come in. You will meet with her and the resident for about an hour and you can talk about any topic you would like concerning your relationship, and she will also ask questions just to get to know you and your relationship better. It's an extra day you can see your man plus it's helpful in the longrun.

So I think I've covered the important stuff.. but if I am missing something please ask and I will try to help! Good luck to everyone
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MJMforever For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (12-19-2018), LifeTraveler (12-19-2018), maytayah (12-19-2018), njnat38 (12-01-2014), patchouli (11-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2018, 11:45 AM

[quote=MJMforever;7382293]This is for information regarding Talbot Hall (Assessment Center) in Kearny, NJ.

So for some general info, your guy will more than likely arrive on a Monday or Tuesday (my BF arrived on a Tuesday).

He can receive a drop-off within the first 7 days he is there and the person dropping off does NOT have to be already on the list.

HOWEVER, after the first 7 days... this no longer applies and anyone who is dropping off a package needs to be on the resident's list. He can call you as soon as he gets there.

Once they arrive, they go straight to orientation so it might be a phone call later on in the evening, but he can call right away.

Drop offs:
Residents are allowed 1 window drop off every 7 days or 2 mail-ins. The list is based off of what I've seen and what I've dropped off/what my man needs. They're very specific on what they allow so I will try to list everything as best as I can.

hola.chica, gracia muchas!(i said thank you so very much and hello to you.)

A familia member of mine just arrive there 1 day ago. I know he has not called us yet but he called another familia member, but we knew he was going to kearny,because he called us the night before."

We know it's right near brick city aka newark,nj

Gracia.
Thank you so much....

As, this is quite helpful this winter,and the 2 months, he is there.thanks so much!hugs -n-blessings to all who have
loved ones inside a city or county jail, or a prison or at a halfway house, about to come home and or not yet coming home..Bless u all... adios.
+ not your heart.

Last edited by a.rare.love; 12-19-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Old 12-26-2018, 12:57 AM

How long are the stays at talbot hall? My LO said it used to be 90 days but he heard it’s now 60 days..
Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 PM

hola chica,
mi familia member said, sixty days or less for him anyway.
and told me this and then my parents and sibling it is a sixty day stay.
he be out of there in sixty days from first day in, so yea i think it was ninety but now sixty.
(or for him it's sixty yes.)

adios.
+ not your heart.