Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison & Criminal Justice News, Legislation & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison & Criminal Justice News, Legislation & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Missouri prison system.

Old 03-20-2003, 01:37 AM
Account Closed

Post News Alert: Immediate Action Being Requested With Modoc

To All Missourians:

I am requesting your immediate actions in sending the following letter to the MoDOC. If you are so inclined, please just copy the letter below and paste it in the email screen with the email address of:

mocorxns@mail.state.mo.us

Please make sure your name at the end of the email and if you want, attach your email address below your name.

Thank you VERY MUCH Missourians!!!!

To: Gary B. Kemker
MoDOC Executive Director

RE: The Prison Rape Reduction Act of 2003 (S. 2619, H.R. 4943)

Dear Mr. Kemker:

On February 20, 2003, President George Bush signed The Prison Rape Reduction Act of 2003 (S. 2619 H.R. 4943). The language of the funding package states that the money is to be used for "implementation of prison rape prevention and prosecution programs including a statistical review and analysis of the incidence and effects of prison rape . [and] the development of national standards for enhancing the detection, prevention, reduction, and punishment of prisoner rape."

I am requesting specific public information regarding the MoDOC's intent upon filing for any moneies available from the $397 billion dollars allocated by the Federal Government pursuant to this Act. I am also requesting to know if and specifically when the MoDOC will issue a press release regarding its filing for monitary assistance available by the Federal Government under this Act in order to impliment its programs, intents and purposes within the MoDOC. California is the first State to have received $13 million on March 5, 2003 in revenue under this Act. We (The State of Missouri and its people) cannot afford to take a back seat on this very important issue!!!

I am a VERY STRONG advocator of this Federal Act and believe it will assist to help all men and women who are incarcerated, but also those who are particularly in a high risk category, i.e., young men and women, and those men and women who are gay, lesbian or bisexual because of their sexuality and the associated perceptions/sterotypes attached that increases the likelihood that they will be, may or are targeted for rapes.

I believe it is critical that the MoDOC take IMMEDIATE action in this matter so as to safeguard the phsycial, emotional and psychologal well-being of all incarcerated men and women and bring to justice those who violate the law and human dignity of another.

Respectfully,

Email Address: Optional

mocorxns@mail.state.mo.us

Last edited by Patch; 03-20-2003 at 02:06 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2003, 05:21 AM
Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,638 Times in 348 Posts

Done!

I have a personal interest in this because my Partner 'has been there'. Enough said.

The Prison System is Broken
Old 03-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Been here forever

done.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Account Closed

I received an email back this morning from the MoDOC, in this, Mr. Tim Kniest, the MoDOC's Public Affairs Dept., tkniest@mail.state.mo.us writes only that he received my email and forwarded it on to staff for review and reply.

People... I urgue you to take IMMEDIATE action on this, it is way too important to do nothing or think someone else will send an email for you. So, please send your email and let us know when you did so we can keep track... Tell your friends, family and co-workers to send one as well. Spread the word like wild fire burning in a heavy wind. If you need further info on why this is so important... read my thread in the legal forum... titled "Free Of Rape: A Prisoners' Constitutional Right"

Chris
Old 03-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Frenchy Member

Done !!! Even though I'm not Missourian

Phil
Old 03-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Frenchy Member

Gosh they are quick !!!! Here's the answer they sent me:

The Department has received numerous inquiries regarding this matter and it is currently under review.
Thank you for your attention to this issue.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Been here forever

i got the same thing patch

The Department has received numerous inquiries regarding this matter and it is currently under review.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.

that was fast too, i just emailed it a while ago
Old 03-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Account Closed

Flood them with emails.. FLOOD THEM FLOOD THEM FLOOD THEM AND FLOOD THEM SOME MORE with emails... Send a VERY CLEAR AND LOUD message that they MUST ACT.

Thanks everyone...keep up the great work!!!

Chris
Old 03-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Account Closed

I just received the following email...

Dear Christopher, I was sent your e-mail to our Department of Corrections, I'm the Grant Administrator (Jim Mitchell) Phone # : 573-526-6435, e-mail:
jmitchell@mail.doc.state.mo.us <mailto:jmitchell@mail.doc.state.mo.us> .

Could you sent me more information about funding throught the Prison Rape Reduction Act of 2003? Is a grant application required? What U.S. Department should the request go to? What has California done to receive the funding? We are very interested in getting our fair share of this federal funded program. What web site can I use to obtain information? Any assistance would be deeply appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jim Mitchell 03/20/03

Keep sending the emails everyone... don't think that we can relax now... send a loud message... one they will never forget... PRISONER'S HAVE RRIGHT!!!!
Old 03-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Been here forever

the same email chris?
Old 03-20-2003, 11:56 AM
Account Closed

I just emailed Mr. Mitchell back with the info he has requested... for those who want to do the same in their states, I refered the MoDOC to:

Lara Stemple, Executive Director of Stop Prisoner Rape
(California) or Sabrina QUTB, at 323/653-7867 SQUTB@SPR.ORG

As these individuals will most likely have the most up to date info on this and the percise knowlege about how to obtain the funding. I am doing some checking into these matters myself. I did ask Mr. Mitchel to maintain contact with me about the efforts of the MoDOC on this matter... hopefully he will or be subject to a flood of emails on his own email address hehe. In any event, keep up the great work, don't give up, keep sending the emails to defeat lazyness that may otherwise come to bear on the presumption that they can sit back and do nothing.

Thanks everyone!!!

Chris
Old 03-25-2003, 05:05 PM

Chris,
I e-mailed this and this is the response I recieved:
The Department has already taken this under review. Thank you for your inquiry

WTF?! Thanks for all that information, Missouri!

Shari
Old 03-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Account Closed

Shari:

First, thank you for sending the email to them... and yes, they have been or at least claim to have taken the matter under review... though they are now refusing to communicate with the general public about their intents.. go figure. Seems that where they were gung hoe about getting federal money, they did not like the requirements that are to be imposed against them that will force them to deal with the problems existing...

Chris
Old 03-27-2003, 09:32 PM

I sent my letter to Mr. Kemker. I hope everyone else does. Let's hope it helps.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:51 AM

I received an answer to my e-mail regarding the Prison Rape Act. It was from JWehmeir@mail.doc.state.mo.us , it read: The Department has been in review of this act. Thank you for your concern in this matter. Sounds a lot like the reply everyone else got
Old 03-31-2003, 09:14 AM

I sent a letter to Mr Kemker and I hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:39 PM
PTO Research Assistant

Hey guys remember Kempker is no longer with the MODOC. Larry Crawford is the new director and he has not yet hired a replacement for Kempker. We want to show that we are up on what's going on within the Department of Corrections by writing to the new people. I suggest sending your emails to the new director.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msveggie
Hey guys remember Kempker is no longer with the MODOC. Larry Crawford is the new director and he has not yet hired a replacement for Kempker. We want to show that we are up on what's going on within the Department of Corrections by writing to the new people. I suggest sending your emails to the new director.

Replacement for Kempker??? Larry Crawford IS the replacement.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:10 PM
PTO Research Assistant

Default Thanks

Thanks, Magnum for keeping me straight. Not sure what I was thinking at the time I posted this. I meant to say Crawford hasn't replaced Lombardi yet. Kind of spoke without thinking I guess. How embarrassing. Now I look like an idiot without a clue.

Maybe it would help me keep the names straight if I actually met the folks down in Jefferson City sometime. Think I should get myself in the car and get driving down the road to say Howdy to those fine people in person. Honestly I don't mean that at all sarcastically so don't get offended Magnum. We all know that you are employeed by the DOC. My experiences with those I've conversed with down there has been very good. I've found them to be quite fair in my dealings with them. They have my respect thus far.

Today I got my newsletter from Missouri CURE. The reporter that met with Mr. Crawford said in one article she wrote that he says perhaps the person he hires to fill Lombardi's position will be a liason that we can bring our concerns to as individuals or an organization. This is what I was thinking but I said it all wrong. Thanks for picking up on my mistake, Magnum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum
Replacement for Kempker??? Larry Crawford IS the replacement.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:24 AM

Default confused

I am a little confused - this post was started back in 2003....Ms Veggie, why are you posting information about Crawford in here?

And yes, Missouri CURE met with Mr. Crawford and several of us are going to Jefferson City tomorrow to talk to legislators about proposed bills affecting the criminal justice system. I will again post information about Missouri CURE on this site, but no one seems to want to join us.

bex
Old 03-09-2005, 01:50 PM
PTO Research Assistant

Default Not True

Bex, I am very interested in Missouri CURE. Just haven't had much extra time and wasn't sure what I could do to help. But I do keep my ears open on what's going on with you all. Please don't think we aren't interested. Sometimes we feel at a lost as to what we can do to make a difference. Guess we all get a bit discouraged ocassionally. We need organizations like CURE and PTO to find strength and encouragement that will help us through our experiences with the prison system. Don't give up on us and think we don't care. Some of us just need specific ideas of what we can do and how we can make a difference.

I myself have wanted to get more involved with CURE as I do believe it can be a voice that will be heard and given genuine attention to the concerns presented by them.

The reason I posted here about Crawford is that I notice the posts were stating that we need to contact Kempker. I didn't look at the dates of when the posts were made like you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex
I am a little confused - this post was started back in 2003....Ms Veggie, why are you posting information about Crawford in here?

And yes, Missouri CURE met with Mr. Crawford and several of us are going to Jefferson City tomorrow to talk to legislators about proposed bills affecting the criminal justice system. I will again post information about Missouri CURE on this site, but no one seems to want to join us.

bex
Old 03-09-2005, 10:25 PM

Default thx

Thanks Ms Veggie for your words!!! It was a long day, but SO good!!! There were four of us running around the Capitol today and talked to SO many people. We know there are 30,000 incarcerated people in this state....so that means our voices should be holding at least 60,000 people.....we have about 300 members. Those newsletters cost over $200 to put out.....all we ask is $10 per year for family members and $2 per year for offenders. I will post a new thread talking about Missouri CURE tomorrow and more information about the bills we supported/opposed.

bex