Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 05-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Gavin123 Gavin123 is offline
My Lovely Son
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 1,281
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 2,173 Times in 804 Posts
Default

I should add that my son had just got out of a 72 hour mental evaluation and was on meth 2 days before his crime. He had tried to get help 4x in 6 months, there was no room. Also, I told the officers when they arrested him he was suicidal. That nite, after the arrest, my son called me from the hospital, he hung himself but they found him in time...but what if they didn't. I am currently trying to see what I can do about this. Till this day, neither me or my son knows what happened, he doesn't remember. I want the medical records, I want to know what tests they ran on him, everything. He is not the same.
__________________
"Waiting To Exhale"

Last edited by Gavin123; 05-24-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #77  
Old 05-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Brittney Nathan's Avatar
Brittney Nathan Brittney Nathan is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 417
Thanks: 175
Thanked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Default

My husband was charged w/ a burgulary he didn't commit. He's done some stupid stuff, but this isn't one of them. They had no evidence, and out of the lineup, the victim picked picture #1, my husband was #2. Anyway, they extradited him from Tennessee to Florida, he had a VOP charge as well. He got 18 months for that, and was looking at 30 years, then 15, then 5, then 1 and was told that he pretty much had the case in the bag, but that he should take the plea bargain just in case he WAS found guilty, which he would've had to serve a mandatory 15 years.
Now when he gets out, he's REALLY gonna have issues finding a job with that little number on his record. All he wanted was to get home to his family, but at what price???
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Mrs. T's Avatar
Mrs. T Mrs. T is offline
Registered member
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida, USA & Michigan, USA
Posts: 398
Thanks: 8
Thanked 69 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Yes, we (out here) need to put changes into motion. And I'm thinkin' those changes should start with our public defenders. Or public pretenders as my husband calls them! lol

We've created a ridiculous system

-Mrs. T
__________________


Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs. T For This Useful Post:
gj07 (05-31-2010)
  #79  
Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
DD's Girl DD's Girl is offline
*****man's Wife
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Alexandria Va
Posts: 165
Thanks: 13
Thanked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Default

My husband took a plea, they said if he were found guilty he would get 25 to life as a first timer. We were taken by a paid lawyer for 20k looking back at least the PD kept it real in our case.
__________________
"Loving Him through the good and bad times, because he's the only man I want"
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 09-11-2010, 06:28 AM
princessjezebel princessjezebel is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: me-ct,him-fl
Posts: 80
Thanks: 40
Thanked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Default plea deals

ive had xs that got caught w/drugs red handed n took it 2 trial n won every time.but,i know a couple that lost n were "punished" by the system by getting alot more time.i think sometimes when u make them work 4 a guilty verdict they give u alittle xtra time.you REALLY have 2 measure out how far u want 2 go w/how much they have against u in court.





'
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 09-11-2010, 06:52 AM
BrownEyedGurl's Avatar
BrownEyedGurl BrownEyedGurl is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NM
Posts: 460
Thanks: 49
Thanked 221 Times in 133 Posts
Default

My guy took a plea because he couldn't pay his attorney anymore and his attorney dropped him. The pd talked him into a plea because he was facing 35-45 years. Now he Is doing time for something he didn't do because he didn't have the money to get a good defense. Also now he can not appeal his case. He can appeal his sentence but not the plea. So sometimes it makes me wonder how many innocent people are in prison cause they couldn't afford a good defense. I forgot to say his pd defender talked him into the plea because she was hired on a month before the trial and was too busy to do her job and look at the evidence. Now my guy is paying with his life. Our justice system does not feel like a justice system.

Last edited by BrownEyedGurl; 09-11-2010 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrownEyedGurl For This Useful Post:
Reunited1stLuv (05-05-2011)
  #82  
Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 PM
288443 288443 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: IL, USA
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Ive appeared in court before on false charges, only thing that was a real charge was my possession of less than a single person can get a buzz off of (marijuana). They strategically charged me where, the false charge was presented which was worse than the weed charge, when I went to argue it the prosecutor looked at me and said to me directly "I could always bring up the drug charge". So I plead guilty as to not have a drug charge possibly on my record (And this was after being denied an attorney because the charge was not significant enough). And that is not the only instance.


I am just saying people, not everybody comes online to talk about it. Stuff like this happens daily. We need to do something, at least be active about it somehow. Spread the word, mention it, something. This needs to change NOW.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Prochef Prochef is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 106
Thanks: 53
Thanked 164 Times in 51 Posts
Default Conviction rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemama View Post
Good day, all!
Keep the faith! Stay focused.
how many of you had a loved one talked into a plea bargain? Usually under threat of being "buried in prison", like our son. Please specify FED or STATE, and let me know a little bit about the background if you don't mind. I'm getting ready to try and talk a really great professor into doing a presentation on plea bargains in the federal system to put in front of the us sentencing commission.
thank you!
This is a great question. I posted a thread DA tools to 100% convection rate. The sad but truth to the matter is if you charged with a crime in the eyes of the law you are guilty. Its a shame that if you use your right to a trial you are giving the max sentence in most cases. I just went through a conspirary case in which i was arrested with no edvience and no drug conection to anyone else in the case. I was facing 52 years in prison. In my thread i give some details on the case. What choice do you have when the DA offers you 3 years or the latter 52 years. Unless you have unlimited resourses to thousands of dollars to fight the case. there are lots of us who take the plea. Jury trial a joke look into convection rate in trails that have the word conspirary attached to them and look up the jury instructions giving to find you guilty. It will take a act of god to win State or fed. I now a mother of a man who went to trial on a fed conspirary case he was offered a min mantory 10 years. He went to trial and is now doing 60 years. So the answer is its all about the DA convection rate they build there carrers on the lives of others.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-01-2011, 10:55 PM
misinmjsdaddy misinmjsdaddy is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 100
Thanks: 4
Thanked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Default

due to mandatory minimums Alfred took a plea even though the states case was very weak... we did not want to risk 7 years when he could "just do two" as his public pretender told us.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM
wishIknew's Avatar
wishIknew wishIknew is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC USA
Posts: 30
Thanks: 18
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

My husband took the guilty plea on federal crack cocaine conspiracy charges..They had been doing the investigation for 5 months and he made 2 phone calls to a guy that they nailed him with..He is trying to get into a drug program that is supposed to help, we dont know his sentence yet...at the motion of plea they said 5 to life but the judge can go over or under the plea..so we have no clue what is going to happen..But his lawyer did tell him that if he didnt take the plea he would get at least triple the years of what he would get taking it.
__________________
Loving him until the very end...



Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 PM
eladlrm eladlrm is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 50
Thanks: 11
Thanked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I took a plea to Texas state charges, they offered 3 years in Prison, My lawyer said that he might be able to get probation for 10yrs and pay over 80,000 in restitutiion or take the 3 years, do 1 year and pay nothing, so I chose the 3 year sentence, which I actually covered 4 sentence's in 1 year. Now im facing Federal charges and will plea again, my lawyer is just trying to get a good deal, its just that my priors send my months of sentence way up, lets see what happens...
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Yirabeth Yirabeth is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

So many unfair stories in this thread Those of you that own your wrong, Kudos to you! I'm sorry that being honest and trying to live up to your responsibilities has hurt you. A sad thing when being honest is bad...

I may as well add my story to the mix. My son's story, rather...

My son was on his way home from work, and had called his wife to tell her a mutual friend wanted a ride to the store. So he stopped at her house, she grabbed her helmet, and off they went on his motorcycle to the store. They never made it to the store, a woman in a minivan hit them instead. The friend died, my son almost died. He spent a month in intensive care, and then of course the rehabilitation to learn to walk again, relearn to use his hands, etc etc.

He had good motivation to live; his first child was born 10 days before the accident. And because it plays into later events, I'll tell you about what happened then. My daughter in law tested positive for marijuana when she went into labor, and they almost lost their newly born daughter. After this tremendous scare, they decided it was time to grow up...losing her wasn't worth having fun and acting like kids. They gave up party time, this I truly believe. I saw their tears and anguish and fear those first 2 days before the hospital would let them take their daughter home...

So anyway. He's recovering..still in a wheel chair, still in tremendous pain...when the police show up at their house and arrest him for the death of his friend. It turns out the woman that hit him was one of the 'rich elite' in our little town, and since someone had to pay for a girl dying that meant my son.

Unfortunately we're as poor as the woman is rich..and so we had a public defender. At first, it didn't seem bad -- the man called in an expert accident reconstructionist from downstate, and the man proved through scientific fact that my son was not at fault -- he was going less than the speed limit, and had tried to stop in better than average reaction time. The accident was the woman's fault, who turned into them and ran them over.

When they went to court to present these findings, the woman who hit him was there. She gave confused and conflicting testimony, and the judge even stopped the proceedings and took the counsel into chambers. Then he came back to the court, and said he'd stopped it because the woman was giving testimony that was appropriate for a criminal case -- against herself! But that she had been granted immunity and therefore could say what she wanted.

When it started looking like it was going my son's way, the prosecuting attorney quickly brought drug charges. When my son was in the accident, he had traces of marijuana in his system...of course, it stays in your system from 10-90 days! But even though it was only a trace, I guess Michigan law says that means he's automatically responsible no matter what...

And then his public defender seemed to have a complete change of heart. Started saying stuff like, Well he's just doing his job (re the prosecuting attorney) Gee, I thought his job was to protect innocent people, not accept bribes and let guilty people go free.... so then not even the public defender was trying to help...

So my son got scared, and saw his daughter growing up without even knowing her dad...they were threatening him with 15-30 years. So he accepted a plea bargain to plead no contest, and last friday he went to prison for 21 months...
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 AM
concerned4liber concerned4liber is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 6
Thanks: 10
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re

My son took a plea. He was taking a plea for his wife and himself, she went free and his life has been ruined.
Dont want to write details, but can email.
This was a very twisted mess and I have learned noone is safe out there
innocence means nothing and justice only exist for those who can pay for it. I dont say this out of anger. I say it because it is the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
LadyLoreen LadyLoreen is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default my son 21st in prison

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemama View Post
please pm or email, as you're comfortable. i've probably talked to about 500 people (in visiting rooms, online, at court, etc.) and i can safely say that at least 90% of them did the same thing we all did - out of fear, and not understanding that a plea bargain is just the laziest way for an attorney, a prosecutor and a judge to clear the desk. you're right, it's corrupt, chris's mom

my son also took a guilty plea, in maricopa AZ, this system is soooooo corput, sorry I've had a really bad day looking for bday cards (21ST)
for him. I haven't seen or spoken to him in 6months. This is literally killing me. I would do ANYTHING to get him released, if I could afford an attorney he would be OUT!!!
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-09-2011, 07:24 PM
LadyLoreen LadyLoreen is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLoreen View Post
my son also took a guilty plea, in maricopa AZ, this system is soooooo corput, sorry I've had a really bad day looking for bday cards (21ST)
for him. I haven't seen or spoken to him in 6months. This is literally killing me. I would do ANYTHING to get him released, if I could afford an attorney he would be OUT!!!
I would appreciate any reply, I feel so hopeless.....my in Tempe, AZ. my son is in Kingman, haulipa Unit
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 08-09-2011, 07:25 PM
LadyLoreen LadyLoreen is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Son 21st BDay in Kingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLoreen View Post
I would appreciate any reply, I feel so hopeless.....my in Tempe, AZ. my son is in Kingman, haulipa Unit
thank you all for your posts.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 08-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Prochef Prochef is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 106
Thanks: 53
Thanked 164 Times in 51 Posts
Default Children and pleas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirabeth View Post
So many unfair stories in this thread Those of you that own your wrong, Kudos to you! I'm sorry that being honest and trying to live up to your responsibilities has hurt you. A sad thing when being honest is bad...

I may as well add my story to the mix. My son's story, rather...

My son was on his way home from work, and had called his wife to tell her a mutual friend wanted a ride to the store. So he stopped at her house, she grabbed her helmet, and off they went on his motorcycle to the store. They never made it to the store, a woman in a minivan hit them instead. The friend died, my son almost died. He spent a month in intensive care, and then of course the rehabilitation to learn to walk again, relearn to use his hands, etc etc.

He had good motivation to live; his first child was born 10 days before the accident. And because it plays into later events, I'll tell you about what happened then. My daughter in law tested positive for marijuana when she went into labor, and they almost lost their newly born daughter. After this tremendous scare, they decided it was time to grow up...losing her wasn't worth having fun and acting like kids. They gave up party time, this I truly believe. I saw their tears and anguish and fear those first 2 days before the hospital would let them take their daughter home...

So anyway. He's recovering..still in a wheel chair, still in tremendous pain...when the police show up at their house and arrest him for the death of his friend. It turns out the woman that hit him was one of the 'rich elite' in our little town, and since someone had to pay for a girl dying that meant my son.

Unfortunately we're as poor as the woman is rich..and so we had a public defender. At first, it didn't seem bad -- the man called in an expert accident reconstructionist from downstate, and the man proved through scientific fact that my son was not at fault -- he was going less than the speed limit, and had tried to stop in better than average reaction time. The accident was the woman's fault, who turned into them and ran them over.

When they went to court to present these findings, the woman who hit him was there. She gave confused and conflicting testimony, and the judge even stopped the proceedings and took the counsel into chambers. Then he came back to the court, and said he'd stopped it because the woman was giving testimony that was appropriate for a criminal case -- against herself! But that she had been granted immunity and therefore could say what she wanted.

When it started looking like it was going my son's way, the prosecuting attorney quickly brought drug charges. When my son was in the accident, he had traces of marijuana in his system...of course, it stays in your system from 10-90 days! But even though it was only a trace, I guess Michigan law says that means he's automatically responsible no matter what...

And then his public defender seemed to have a complete change of heart. Started saying stuff like, Well he's just doing his job (re the prosecuting attorney) Gee, I thought his job was to protect innocent people, not accept bribes and let guilty people go free.... so then not even the public defender was trying to help...

So my son got scared, and saw his daughter growing up without even knowing her dad...they were threatening him with 15-30 years. So he accepted a plea bargain to plead no contest, and last friday he went to prison for 21 months...
From Prochef it is true when you look into the eyes of your children and have to take a plea. The DA don't look at your kids of family or even weather your really guilty or not. they look at what the can add to there conviction rate. I went through the same thing i looked at my son who was 11 years old at the time, and had to make a hard choice. Take a plea and admit to something i didn't do and be with him in a year or so or go to trial and have him see me die in prison. I took a plea.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 AM
MissLexy MissLexy is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: n/a
Posts: 231
Thanks: 10
Thanked 78 Times in 44 Posts
Default

I wish my baby would just take their stupid plea of 6yrs, instead of looking at 15. I'm so scared about whats going to happen to him and to us. I've always been so dependent on him for everything, and it scares me when everything is up to me!!!
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 01-28-2015, 01:06 PM
dcloum34 dcloum34 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Michigan, US
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Screwed up justice system aka unjustice system!

All these years later...I am curious to how this "paper" turned out bluemama?
My brother is currently sitting up in jail for signing a plea that he should NOT have signed, but was told it's either this or 45 years in prison. He was royaly screwed by his attorney, his family and the court systems. We are currently trying to find a lawyer to sue his previous attorney and appeal his case based on information that was kept from him during the case. Every lawyer I have contacted so far has flat out said, and I quote "You have a case here, but you can not afford me, you are too poor." That is just f**ked up! If your rich and guilty, you can buy your way out, but if your poor and innocent, your screwed. What a piece of s**t country this has become!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcloum34 For This Useful Post:
2muchmisery4me (02-06-2015), Lordbew/us (01-28-2015)
  #95  
Old 03-04-2015, 09:24 PM
MidgitsWife MidgitsWife is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Well If Your In Colorado

Currently I believe the statistics in Colorado are something around a 95% conviction rate and of those 99% have taken a plea bargain...There is a deal that has been a part of the legal system here for a long time which is the DA trades deals with attorneys, in short that means they will cut a slightly better deal for a group of offenders provided the attorney can get another to take a less than beneficial plea dear....How ridiculous is that but it happens here....

There is also a situation happening here that if an offender does not take the plea they add additional years to their sentence due to that fact, somehow I would think that should be unconstitutional but there is some many things that happen here that would never fly in any other state....

They have also began to offer a plea deal to offenders who have been convicted at trial where they offer them supposedly a less sentence instead of hoping for a lessor sentence from the judge but as a part of the plea they will not appeal their conviction...That should be a right if there is an error found at a later date or if there was something that is discovered from arrest or during trial but Colorado makes sure that never happens even if the normal offender is convicted at trial now....That is insane....

But as we say in here...Welcome to Colorado - Come On Vacation - Leave of Probation....Thts how it is here and as soon as my husband is out and finiished with parole, we are out of this hell hole permanently....After over a decade there is finally light at the end of the tunnel....
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-04-2015, 09:32 PM
MidgitsWife MidgitsWife is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Also the war on drugs has been nothing more than a war on the addicts of this country...while the smoke screen was put up it was intended to stop the flow of drugs in the USA instead I have found it to be the collected efforts of crooked government employees who decided it was a way for them to further their careers and profit off of the suffer of others within our society and here in Colorado it did not matter if you sold drugs, got caught with an ounce or only a quarter gram, you were charged all the same if you were busted with drugs....The charge made all the users look like dealers to the public when they were charged and agreed to a plea....They called it manufacturing , sales, intent to distribute a controlled substance and it was that way until just a couple years ago when the first possess llaws were actually passed here...Obvious it was the collective effers on the part of those in government to intentionally pull the wool over voters eyes in tha past....
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Mymrb's Avatar
Mymrb Mymrb is offline
C.B
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Uk
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes- 21 years, 10 months for Conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute methamphetamine; possession with intent to distribute meth. Harsh! Few small priors.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 05-25-2015, 11:59 AM
redangel58 redangel58 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: gold canyon az
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris's mom View Post
bluemama, My son took a plea on a drug charge. He was a first time non violent offender. he was 30 years old at the time of his arrest and had never even had so much as a drving charge. He was told by his court appointed lawyer that if he didnt plea he would be found guilt and sentenced to maybe 30 years, so he felt he had no choice. He bargained for a 15 years sentence 5 to be served and 10 years probation. His lawyer first told him that it could be thrown out of court because of illegal search and sezure but then changed to he would be found guilty if he went to court. We had no money for a new lawyer so he signed a plea. We are all at the mercy of a corrupt system.


My son had to take a plea, not for a drug charge, for child abuse. He did not do this crime, he was at work all day then at mine and my Moms house when this was supposed to have been done. When it was found he had a alibi the crime was changed so it happened the next day. His lawyer forced him to take a 10 yr plea knowing he was innocent. Lawyer told me my son was innocent. The court appt. lawyer was busy with a high profile murder case so didn't have time to work my sons case. It is a very unfair system and I just want my son home! I miss him so very much! Don't know how to help him, I'm his Mom and can do nothing without a bunch of money to pay a good attorney and I'm on disability. I'm not sure why I'm posting on here, I'm just super depressed right now thinking about 8 more years of my son wasting away. My email is (Removed per policy; Please contact member via pm system)

Last edited by patchouli; 05-25-2015 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: removed email
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 05-25-2015, 01:10 PM
Miskitty123 Miskitty123 is offline
Corrupt Prison Augusta St
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Tifton Tift
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcloum34 View Post
All these years later...I am curious to how this "paper" turned out bluemama?
My brother is currently sitting up in jail for signing a plea that he should NOT have signed, but was told it's either this or 45 years in prison. He was royaly screwed by his attorney, his family and the court systems. We are currently trying to find a lawyer to sue his previous attorney and appeal his case based on information that was kept from him during the case. Every lawyer I have contacted so far has flat out said, and I quote "You have a case here, but you can not afford me, you are too poor." That is just f**ked up! If your rich and guilty, you can buy your way out, but if your poor and innocent, your screwed. What a piece of s**t country this has become!
I agree with you on the country will screw a pour person. My son had a court appointed lawyer and he was so sorry. He talked my son into taking a plea also and didn't even try to defend him. Not long after that his lawyer went to jail himself for some thing he did. My son died in prisoner and I hate the whole system.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 05-26-2015, 11:33 AM
quinlan quinlan is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default plea bargains

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemama View Post
Good day, all!
Keep the faith! Stay focused.
how many of you had a loved one talked into a plea bargain? Usually under threat of being "buried in prison", like our son. Please specify FED or STATE, and let me know a little bit about the background if you don't mind. I'm getting ready to try and talk a really great professor into doing a presentation on plea bargains in the federal system to put in front of the us sentencing commission.
thank you!
OUr son also. First time it was seriously suggested that he take the deal or he would spend years in a state prison. So he took it even though he wasn't guilty. Now he is in again for something he didn't do, and again was seriously suggested he take the plea or he would spend years in a state prison - because now he had a record so it's pretty automatic. I really thought my son was going to have a mental breakdown. He was crying saying he wasn't going to plead guilty to something he didn't do again. But he did it in fear of the larger punishment. My son also has bipolar disorder so he doesn't present himself well at times. Other times he is totally together and speaks well. The prison he is in has taken away his medications and he is deteriorating emotionally. The deal is always offered to make it look like if it's not taken, there will be years behind bars. I think they don't want to go to trial because of extra costs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plea Bargain or Trial? bluemama General Prison Talk 13 05-25-2015 01:08 PM
10 Ways Family Members Can Help a Loved One Shelby Friends & Families of Addicts 2 08-30-2005 05:13 PM
Offered a plea bargain.. Support and advice needed... Luann Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat 30 09-02-2004 09:29 AM
The State Of Plea Bargaining In Federal Court Nemesis Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues 0 08-09-2004 05:25 PM
Fun Things to Do Together with Your Incarcerated Loved One California Sunshine GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions 13 06-14-2004 08:58 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:30 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics