Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Hurricane Katrina Disaster Forum
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hurricane Katrina Disaster Forum Please use this forum to discusss all news and information relating to Hurricane Katrina

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 09-18-2005, 04:32 PM
MiaBellaAngela's Avatar
MiaBellaAngela MiaBellaAngela is offline
Glad to be alive.
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ...
Posts: 6,713
Thanks: 4
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk2001
My opinion is Michael Moron needs to quit hiding behind the couch and pointing fingers. I don't see him down there picking up the pieces of the devistation. Cowards preach behind closed doors, hero's get out there and do something about it. That is what ALL of need to do.
By bringing issues to light he is doing something! Exposing the truth.
__________________
Sponsored Links
  #77  
Old 09-18-2005, 04:35 PM
MiaBellaAngela's Avatar
MiaBellaAngela MiaBellaAngela is offline
Glad to be alive.
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ...
Posts: 6,713
Thanks: 4
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed-X
Here are a few pictures I would like to show myself. This is part of my issue with Michael Moore.. This is what you found the second rescue personnel could get to the scene. (Once the hurricane cleared and the winds died down enough for any aircraft to fly) The Air National Guard that was close by was already in the area from day two. The coast guard was there the same day the storm came through and started pulling people from the roofs starting from late in the afternoon non-stop through now..

God bless everyone who has been working tirelessly to save lives..
It is not the workers/personnel themselves anyone faults...it is the higher ups. Did you know a high ranking official sent miltary helictopers to check on his private residence NOT go help/rescue people? That is the kind of thing that makes me sick.

The people who are helping, even those of us who have donated $ and clothes, etc, are helping. This is what is needed now.
__________________
  #78  
Old 09-18-2005, 11:24 PM
jessnkat's Avatar
jessnkat jessnkat is offline
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 11,313
Thanks: 14
Thanked 527 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBellaAngela
By bringing issues to light he is doing something! Exposing the truth.
Somehow I just don't think that the now homeless, jobless people that used to reside along the Mississippi Gulf Coast would agree that his constant bashing of the President is helping them at all!
__________________
Kat
If anyone asks, not that they would...I'll be down in Mississippi and up to no good! - Sugarland
  #79  
Old 09-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Tbaby's_hope Tbaby's_hope is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 1 Post
Default

M. More....all Respect Given...something Needs To Be Said!!!
__________________


PEACE AND BLESSINGS
BRITT
  #80  
Old 09-19-2005, 05:18 AM
SAHAR SAHAR is offline
love & peace
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: sharing a heartbeat in Illinois
Posts: 328
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

well said Michael ...... it takes guts to say it like it is !
__________________
NUR and SAHAR LIFE
  #81  
Old 09-19-2005, 07:29 AM
techietype's Avatar
techietype techietype is offline
Wage Slave
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 773
Thanks: 21
Thanked 223 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnkat
Somehow I just don't think that the now homeless, jobless people that used to reside along the Mississippi Gulf Coast would agree that his constant bashing of the President is helping them at all!
Just out of curiousity, do you think that the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilley, and Ann Coulter would be seen by the victims as being helpful to their cause? In the days immediately following Katrina I heard Limbaugh rail against a report in the Washington Post and other newspapers that the poor were among the hardest hit. Of course, it turns out that that was very true. I also heard the guy who sat in for Rush on his day off say that the failing is very typical of government and that we should not expect them to do better. Although I could be wrong, if I were sitting on a rooftop with my radio surrounded by flood water watching rescue helicopeters pass me by something tells me that I would not find such comments particularly helpful.
  #82  
Old 09-19-2005, 12:22 PM
techietype's Avatar
techietype techietype is offline
Wage Slave
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 773
Thanks: 21
Thanked 223 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed-X
Has anyone gotten any solid figures on all the people complaining and how much they have donated? I'm guessing that Michael Moore probably donated just to CHA but I haven't seen anything about that yet...
To tell you the truth, I've seen no information about how much Michael Moore, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Ben Stein, Hillary Clinton or anyone else gave. The only person that I know for certain donated money to Katrina relief is me. I know exactly how much I gave to the Red Cross.

Nevertheless, I am sure that all of the people mentioned were moved enough by the images of what happened in New Orleans to give generously. At least I sure hope that they were. You may not like Michael Moore and I may not like some of the folks that I mentioned. But as decent and caring people we should not question what others did or did not give to the Katrina relief fund.

Last edited by techietype; 09-19-2005 at 12:27 PM..
  #83  
Old 09-19-2005, 10:54 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 20,836
Thanks: 3,301
Thanked 7,750 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBellaAngela
By bringing issues to light he is doing something! Exposing the truth.
Mia,
I would 110% agree with you if the issues he was trying to bring to light were based in facts and not propoganda and opinion. I will give him a few miniscule points but most good lies utilize a few solid facts. In his case, he uses a precious few.

I consider myself a realist, and I would detest Bush and his other targets just as much as he does if he could substantiate his diatribes with something solid.. I don't just believe in something because it suits my ideals... I like facts.. Then I make my own judgements based on solid information.

I like Bush less and less as his second term continues but definitely NOT because of what Michael Moore says or because of the blame games over Katrina.. And I have yet to see something better anyways..

98% of politicians are "whores" in my book... And the 2% are ruined by the other 98..
  #84  
Old 09-19-2005, 11:44 PM
nimuay's Avatar
nimuay nimuay is online now
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: new york
Posts: 24,240
Thanks: 6,606
Thanked 29,586 Times in 10,700 Posts
Default

Hey David - just to answer one of your questions on an earlier page - I will complain and condemn this administration until my memory and my tongue give out, but I will still also send thank-yous to National Guard units, and health kits to UMCOR-Sager Brown and donate money in memory of my father and give a little more to the Red Cross, and then clean out my closets and send everything to a collection center for the Katrina victims. Being progressive or leftist doesn't dim my sense of compassion one whit. In fact, it is my definition of being progressive. And I will continue to do my volunteer work, and privately do small things that I hope are of value to someone.

What right do you have to question any of us on the progressive end of the spectrum about our giving or our compassion? After all, it is the other end that is always taking away. It is our compassion that makes the ignoring of the poor and disenfranchised something we stand up and yell about.

SO THERE!!!
__________________
You'll know you've created God in your own image when He hates all the people you do.
  #85  
Old 09-20-2005, 12:09 AM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 20,836
Thanks: 3,301
Thanked 7,750 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietype
Just out of curiousity, do you think that the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilley, and Ann Coulter would be seen by the victims as being helpful to their cause? In the days immediately following Katrina I heard Limbaugh rail against a report in the Washington Post and other newspapers that the poor were among the hardest hit. Of course, it turns out that that was very true. I also heard the guy who sat in for Rush on his day off say that the failing is very typical of government and that we should not expect them to do better. Although I could be wrong, if I were sitting on a rooftop with my radio surrounded by flood water watching rescue helicopeters pass me by something tells me that I would not find such comments particularly helpful.
Tech,

I was recording Fox News for at least 3 days following the storm and the night leading up to it impacting land. I don't know about Rush because I don't follow all his pompous huff but I'm straining to recall anyone else stating that the poor were not the hardest hit. What I recall was a lot of people refuting the statements that aid was coming slowly because this area was poor. Is there any links to this stuff online or a time line I could zoom back to?

As for the person saying "if you depend on government you are going to be disappointed", I think it was on the Savage Nation, though I feel like some of the others said it as well. I have to agree, though it is unfortunate. The feds are not 911, though with as much as they take from us, it would be nice if they were..
  #86  
Old 09-20-2005, 12:14 AM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 20,836
Thanks: 3,301
Thanked 7,750 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by techietype
To tell you the truth, I've seen no information about how much Michael Moore, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Ben Stein, Hillary Clinton or anyone else gave. The only person that I know for certain donated money to Katrina relief is me. I know exactly how much I gave to the Red Cross.

Nevertheless, I am sure that all of the people mentioned were moved enough by the images of what happened in New Orleans to give generously. At least I sure hope that they were. You may not like Michael Moore and I may not like some of the folks that I mentioned. But as decent and caring people we should not question what others did or did not give to the Katrina relief fund.
In the most instances I would not; however when someone likes to point out all that is wrong and criticize everything that is taking place, it makes many wonder just what the person beating the drums has done to help, rather than just bitch and complaining.

So, in this circumstance, I don't feel bad asking just what they have done to help solve the problem rather than just complaining about it. I may be alone (and maybe not) here when I say that despite his lack of credibility, he would be talking from a stronger position if he had been part of the solution/aid.

And while on that note, I would also like to know how much the people on the other end of the political spec tum are donating as well.
  #87  
Old 09-20-2005, 12:42 AM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 20,836
Thanks: 3,301
Thanked 7,750 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay
Hey David - just to answer one of your questions on an earlier page
Which question exactly are you talking about?
Quote:
- I will complain and condemn this administration until my memory and my tongue give out,
That is your right, just as it is everyone else's right to defend what they believe in and feel are false and incorrect allegations and baseless comments.
You can't have it both ways.
Quote:
but I will still also send thank-yous to National Guard units, and health kits to UMCOR-Sager Brown and donate money in memory of my father and give a little more to the Red Cross, and then clean out my closets and send everything to a collection center for the Katrina victims. Being progressive or leftist doesn't dim my sense of compassion one whit. In fact, it is my definition of being progressive. And I will continue to do my volunteer work, and privately do small things that I hope are of value to someone.
I don't think compassion has anything to do with if you are left, center or right. I think there is good in everyone no matter what their political or ideological beliefs or affiliations may be. When I have volunteered or donated when possible I have never asked or cared if the person I was helping was Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, democrat, republican, communist, atheist, Muslim, Christian or anything else. They are human and most other humans want to help others for any number of reasons. My reason is selfish, I guess. I enjoy helping others no matter who they are. That is also for my reason for being at PTO. Most my friends here are what you would call "left", "liberal", or "progressive" but I love them just the same and know despite my on views, which differ often differ from their own, most of them feel the same way about me, I hope. I don't make it personal but I do have a voice too. (Even if I can't vote )

Quote:
What right do you have to question any of us on the progressive end of the spectrum about our giving or our compassion? After all, it is the other end that is always taking away. It is our compassion that makes the ignoring of the poor and disenfranchised something we stand up and yell about.
SO THERE!!!
"So There!!" ?

Maybe I missed something but I don't recall questioning you about your giving or compassion. If you are talking about Michael Moore, I certainly do question a lot of things about him, especially his motives and his major distortion of the facts, the truth and using people to further his own agenda. I would never normally bring him up, especially not at PTO, but someone else did and I disagree in a number of ways with what he had to say and responded to it with what I feel are inaccuracies, to put it lightly.

Please do tell me how this is different than you and a number of others constantly slamming the President and the conservatives... You know, the people you feel are "the end that is always taking away". (from what, BTW?)

So, what is it? You want free reign to just slam the heck out of other ideologies and groups without any retort or comment? If someone does, does that mean they are attacking you or defending what they believe in?

You seem very personally engaged now in this thread... I am sorry if I have offended you but I hope you and everyone else understand that what you say may very well offend others, and people DO have a right to respond to these posts. It isn't a one-way street.

PTO is not a political site for this very reason. Hurricane Katrina and politics really have nothing to do with prisoner support and PTO, and maybe it was a mistake to even open this forum (as we try to keep politics out of PTO because like abortion and religion, rarely does everyone walk away feeling good) but when I did, I didn't think it was going to turn into slam-fest and so many were going to be upset. I thought it would be a good place to talk about how we could help people.. I should have considered it more in hindsight and will do so in the future.

David
  #88  
Old 09-20-2005, 02:11 AM
nimuay's Avatar
nimuay nimuay is online now
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: new york
Posts: 24,240
Thanks: 6,606
Thanked 29,586 Times in 10,700 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed-X
Has anyone gotten any solid figures on all the people complaining and how much they have donated? I'm guessing that Michael Moore probably donated just to CHA but I haven't seen anything about that yet...

David - this is what I was replying to - because there seemed very much to be an undertone to it . . . having to do with the complainers. And I am one, hence the sense of being attacked, or at least questioned (not me particularly, but as one of the "complainers in general). Companies have released their donation amounts, but I don't know that any private (or public) person should be pointing up their own contributions for news value-too much a publican sort of thing. (No, not Re-publican, just publican.)
__________________
You'll know you've created God in your own image when He hates all the people you do.
  #89  
Old 09-20-2005, 04:58 PM
MiaBellaAngela's Avatar
MiaBellaAngela MiaBellaAngela is offline
Glad to be alive.
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ...
Posts: 6,713
Thanks: 4
Thanked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed-X
Mia,
I would 110% agree with you if the issues he was trying to bring to light were based in facts and not propoganda and opinion.
Funny, I think everything out of the White House is propoganda and opinion and fear-based-scare tactics.

You and i won't agree on this one and that is fine by me. I agree to disagree.
__________________
  #90  
Old 09-20-2005, 08:21 PM
haswtch haswtch is offline
one lucky woman
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ulster County, NY, USA
Posts: 10,954
Thanks: 158
Thanked 267 Times in 165 Posts
Default

My oldest son's dad just came back from running a trauma team in Louisiana, working with FEMA. His overall impression was that things were all f'd up at the higher management level. That is, and has been for a while, my impression of just about everything in the US right now.
I think that if the truth were all out, our involvement in Iraq and the disregard of our current leadership for the poor- no matter which color- DID play a role in the abysmal response that took place. Just my opinion- history can judge- but I think there is evidence of this already and more will emerge. Just as there is evidence that we armed Saddam and spoiled him rotten in the first place. And Karl Rove "armed" and spoiled GW Bush, the poor fool.
__________________
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."- Voltaire -
[François Marie Arouet] (1694-1778)

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics