Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison For anyone that has a same sex partner, family member, friend or Pen Pal in prison that is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgendered.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:48 PM

Default Gays in prison

what are the current conditions in state jail in texas for gay inmates. I ask because my young nephew is going to state jail for 8 months and I can't really tell him what to expect in 2015 for a gay prisoner in texas. If I told him what it was like back in the 80s he'd shit his pants.. any safer now?

Last edited by FreeJoshT; 10-21-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2015, 05:51 PM

Thanked 1,861 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeJoshT View Post
what are the current conditions in state jail in texas for gay inmates. I ask because my young nephew is going to state jail for 8 months and I can't really tell him what to expect in 2015 for a gay prisoner in texas. If I told him what it was like back in the 80s he'd shit his pants.. any safer now?
I am not educated on gay inmates in Texas or anywhere for that matter, but I believe it goes on ALL the time, they just keep it on the down low....You will see when you cruise around the website that there are gays surviving and having relationships while doing time.

I am not being judgmental by saying this, but I would think if someone is gay and acts like a "flame", they may get more shit thrown at them than a "straight" looking gay....Just my opinion

Hope you get some answers from Texans
Old 10-21-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeJoshT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe67 View Post
I am not educated on gay inmates in Texas or anywhere for that matter, but I believe it goes on ALL the time, they just keep it on the down low....You will see when you cruise around the website that there are gays surviving and having relationships while doing time.

I am not being judgmental by saying this, but I would think if someone is gay and acts like a "flame", they may get more shit thrown at them than a "straight" looking gay....Just my opinion

Hope you get some answers from Texans
Hell, that boy ain't right. But I made a promise to his mother I'd take care of him while she locked up. See my sisters over in CDC herself
Old 10-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Donation Award 

Okay,
In order to clarify there is not a state jail...there are county jails run by the Sheriff and State Prisons. Was he sentenced to 8 months county time or 8 months state prison time?
The State Prisons since they are statewide will be more inclined to accommodate a gay prisoner such as a placement in protective custody, while a county jail has limited resources and bed space. The best advise either way if for him to portray himself as straight for the duration of his stay.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:40 PM

Thanked 11,008 Times in 5,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris idoc View Post
Okay,
In order to clarify there is not a state jail...there are county jails run by the Sheriff and State Prisons. Was he sentenced to 8 months county time or 8 months state prison time?
The State Prisons since they are statewide will be more inclined to accommodate a gay prisoner such as a placement in protective custody, while a county jail has limited resources and bed space. The best advise either way if for him to portray himself as straight for the duration of his stay.
Texas does indeed have what are referred to as State Jails- they were created with the revisions to the Penal Code in 1994 if I remember my dates correctly. They are designed to house what amounts to a carved out fourth degree felony and the sentences were intended to be a hybrid between a misdemeanor jail term and a felony prison sentence, with no parole on a State Jail sentence and, until a few years ago, no reductions for diligent participation credits. Even now, the max reduction on the two-year cap is 20% on the back end IF and ONLY IF the Court signs off on the reduction.

That being said, it is correct that there are provisions for safekeeping housing although there are also plenty of gay offenders in the traditional general population.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
chris idoc (10-29-2015), yourself (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,369 Times in 7,489 Posts

I'd advise anybody considering answering this thread to look at the op's previous posts. He hasn't been back in a while, probably because you can't announce your name,McLain that you were on death row, and have a lot of credibility. Further, if a part of what the op says is in fact true, then half the op's nephew's troubles will come from dealing with the op, his attitudes, and the like. Poor kid.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
mooshy (10-29-2015), SadTodd (10-29-2015), xolady (10-28-2015)