Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison For anyone that has a same sex partner, family member, friend or Pen Pal in prison that is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgendered.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:13 AM

Default New to this: How do you be optimistic or prepare yourself?

This is my first time dating someone in prison. We met before and fell in love quickly. Unfortunately she is now facing some possible heavy time and we haven't even been together a full year. No kids, no marriage, I haven't even met her family. My question is how do u be optimistic or prepare yourself for the possibility that your love one will be away for a long period of time and still hold on to the dreams of your future plans?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2017, 02:27 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,106 Times in 617 Posts

I can't say it was easy for me. But what I can say is I love him enough to be flexible in the hopes and dreams we had prior to incarceration. Today I'm just thrilled to have every moment we have, the rest will come, or we will adjust to new dreams and hopes. If those dreams and hopes fail us, at the end of the day we are still madly in love and to me/us that's all that matters.
The Following User Says Thank You to OnlyInTexas For This Useful Post:
Adias (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:22 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,956 Times in 11,667 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Much can change between now and when her case is finalized. Her lawyer should have a good idea of what she is actually facing.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:08 PM

My best advice is to be a good (loving) friend. Don't tell her you can commit to her until you KNOW you can. I think giving people false hopes is mean, even if your intentions are good at the time. If you have a strong love for one another, it can survive. It is definitely not easy loving someone who is incarcerated, but it gets easier with time. If you choose to maintain a relationship, give your all (both of you) to the relationship. With phone, visits, letters, and email, you can support most of each other's needs. There are ways to meet physical needs. The biggest hardship probably is the financial one! Positive thoughts can make a huge difference! My husband and I survive on "believing," positive energy, and faith in God! We make sure to nurture our friendship and our love. When things feel good, time goes by.
The Following User Says Thank You to Curt'swife8 For This Useful Post:
BetteP (09-24-2017)