Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Juvenile
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Juvenile Discussion of everything related to minors in the criminal justice system: juvenile detention, courts, rights, and family support.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 AM

Default Wondering what's next

My son is 16 and currently in the county juvenile detention facility. My boy is a thief and has been stealing from people since he was five years old. My wife and I have had him in individual counseling for years. We have also participated in family counseling. We have had almost a dozen counselors give up on us because no matter what happens, no matter what changes we as his parents make, no matter what program we put him in he refuses to accept any responsibility for his actions and he refuses to change his ways.

My son has seven misdemeanor arrests for theft and one felony arrest for burglary of a habitation. We had cut off his internet access at the house so he broke into the neighbors house to use her internet connection and steal some cigarettes. He would have more theft arrests but in Texas you can't be arrested if you are under the age of ten. He does not have a drug problem or at least we have never suspected him of using drugs and he has never failed a drug test. He has no respect for other peoples property. If he wants it and it's not bolted down he will find a way to take it is how it seems to us.

Up until the burglary when he went to court for a theft pretty much nothing happened that mattered to him. They would fine him, maybe order he attend a class, and warn him that this was his last chance. He didn't care about the fine or the class because the parents have to pay the fines and he's good at zoning out in the classes. The last chance warning didn't phase him because he heard it every time he went to court.

When he went to court on the felony burglary they put him on intense supervision probation. That didn't have much impact on him because he was soon arrested for another theft. The probation violation got him another "this is your last chance" warning which had no affect since he had been told that at least half a dozen times before.

His last arrest got him placed in the county juvenile detention facility for violating his probation. He spent 60 days in lockup and then was released because the DA had not filed charges on him. When the DA did finally get around to filing charges on him he was placed in the county's boot camp program. He's been in the boot camp program for eight weeks and they kicked him out of the program and moved him back into detention yesterday. We don't know for sure what will happen next but his attorney told us to expect them to send him to TYC (the Texas Youth Commission.)

All the arrests have been legitimate. He is a defense attorneys worst nightmare and an investigating police officers best friend. Ask him about a crime he may have committed and you will get a truthful answer.

If anyone here can tell me what to expect when my son is transferred to TYC I would really like to hear from you.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Juvenile system in Michigan

Let me tell you a story, I had the best kid in the world. He was into hockey, football, baseball, went to a private school and was an honor student. At 15 1/2 yrs old he took drivers training and compleated the course. He had a cute girlfriend. It was Oct. Terry and Cheryl were going out with my nephew and his buddy, I told Terry to be home by 10pm, that weekend we were going out to buy him a car, the kids left, it was after 10 and I was worried, not long after I recieved a call from the Trenton Police saying Terry had been arrested. I went down to the station and he was arrested for assult with a dangerious weapon ( apparently Cheryls old boyfriend Joe seen them and had a piece of a pipe and went to hit Cheryl with it,Terry took it from Joe and hit Joe) so we had to hire a lawyer and went to court. The judge sentenced him to a school in River Rouge Michigan. He was picked up by a person call a tracker at 6am and brought home at 6pm. Couldnt leave the house and the tracker would check back and see if he was home sometimes a phone call and not in person.
The kids in this school were all boys and had some pretty sad stories. Terry's tracker seemed to be a nice man, he was in his mid 20's and seemed to like Terry. Mr. Anderson would come in when he dropped Terry off after school and ask could Terry go with him to check on the other boys just to get him out of the house some. I agreed to it. Now, not only was this man Terrys tracker, he was also his mentor.
After a few months went by I started seeing a change in my Terry. Finally he broke down and told me that a few of the "mentors" trackers had been using the kids to steal things and then the "mentors" would take these items to the pawn shops and give the kids drugs booze and money out of their take for the day. The mentors would keep 3/4 ofwhat they got and give the rest to the boys. Terry was afraid of these guys now and they were demanding more (my wedding ring was one item that my son took for them) among other items. So now I pulled him out of the court ordered school and the woman who ran it was putting out a writ on Terry if I didnt produce him the next day. She said he was safe and they would look into the accusations. I kept him out and hid him at a friends house until I could get some answers. I had Mr Anderson on tape admitting to this, (he didn't know I had taped his and Terry's conversation. He called Terry to let him know something was going down at the school and told him to keep his mouth shut. He also wanted to know if I knew anything and Terry told him No, He said he didnt think I did, because I ddn't act any different when he called. (I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle him).
I called the man in charge (Ken Devine) of Terry's case and he listened to the tape and was upset, said for me to call him back, we'd talk again, and he understood why I pulled Terry out of school. I called Terrys attorney and we had a meeting at the school. Terry had a court hearing scheduled for the next week. I called Mr Devine again and he said he couldnt talk to me anymore everything had to go through his boss...I hung up.
To make a long story shorter Terry was arrested for not being in school they had a warrent put out on him he was arrested shortly after his court hearing, they put him back into another school in Detroit. They turned my son into a thief and a drug addict. I recieved a letter from "Marva Livingston" saying how sorry she was that this happened, BUT the MENTORS were hired as outside contractors and the state would take NO responsibility in this matter. What my son and the other boys did was very wrong, but what the "Mentors" and State did in my opinion was criminal.
That was in 1997, since then my son is in prison and has gotten more time for home invasion and larceny in a bldg than some murders. Had it not been for the State of Michigan placing my son in the hands of monsters things might have been different. I only hope the parole board will see him the next time he is up for parole because he is very depressed.
So, for you parents who are having trouble with your kids. Talk to them, love them and believe in them. Try not to let the courts intervene. They do not want whats best for your children
Linda
Old 02-18-2008, 01:46 AM

Hey im 20 years old and my boyfriend is 19. he is in juvenile prison for some charges he had when he was 16. he goes before the parole board in may and then we hope to get married!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,498 Times in 1,923 Posts

glad to see good news..best of luck with it all
Old 04-10-2008, 05:34 PM

Greetings From New England .... My name is Juliet and Im new to PTO. I am currently a first year student trying to earn a degree in Criminal Justice. I am aiming towards juvenille justice, rehabilitation and advocacy, and also have a friend in the NH system. If anyone has any helpful information towards more specific jobs that would involve helping youths caught in the system that would be greatly appreciated! Our country really needs more rehabilitation and less incarceration!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilhickchick For This Useful Post:
ccgma (05-28-2008), thingstosay (06-02-2008)
Old 05-15-2008, 04:57 AM

Thanked 2,146 Times in 704 Posts
Unhappy Tyler

HI my name is Lyne, I have a 18 yr old son who was charged as an adult at 16 for armed robbery, This case has been going on for 2 yrs. He had no priors, they never had a gun & the robbery was a silver chain from the victim. Monday May 12 he pled no contset & was givien 6yrs youthful offender. We did not want to plea but the only way to get youthful offender in FL is to plea & take a chance with the judge. We were all schocked he got 6 yrs. Can anyone tell me the process from here? He does not want to go to youthful offender program because he is afraid to loose his gain time because of fighting. He say it is real bad there. It scares me to death that he would be willing to go to adult prison because of the fighting at YO! is he right or is he just hearing to much crap in jail? Right now they have him in max. sec. county jail I don't think it could get any worse. He seems to think he is goin to brevard CI. do you know anything about that place?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 PM
He's The Lucky One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ14 View Post
Hey im 20 years old and my boyfriend is 19. he is in juvenile prison for some charges he had when he was 16. he goes before the parole board in may and then we hope to get married!
I'm in the same boat except I'm 21 and he's 19. Hope he gets out, it sucks them being in there. Mine has a hearing Tuesday, but they don't think he'll get let go. And to Lyne, as far as I know there is some fighting in there. Mostly done behind the councelors backs. My man has almost the same charge. He has been in 2 fights the last 10 mos, but he didn't get caught. Tell your boy to basically suck up to them and they will not believe the other boys if he does happen to get into a fight. That's how my man does it. And trust me, he is not one to get along with authority and he does it all the time. And to Juliet, sadly people in those jobs usually get less than $20,000 a year. They are NOT good paying jobs. I looked into it for a while, but alas, I cannot do most of that stuff because I'm a felon. You would think, being a felon would help you relate to the youths, but no, they don't want you to relate they want you to force them through the program. Maybe you'll help change that. Good luck! Just keep in mind that the juvenile system statistically does NOT work, but then neither does incarceration.

The breathe in my heart will return to me....
Old 05-24-2008, 06:35 AM

Thanks I will let him know....

God, Grant me the SERENITY to accept the things I cannot change, The COURAGE to change the things I can and the WISDOM to know the difference.
Amen
(Tylers first Tattoo!!!)
Old 05-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Justin~Dylan~Damian

Hi Thingstosay, my Son Dylan was in a youthful offender program and he was 18 as well. He was already in the djj system so he went to a juvie lock up 31/2 hours from home, the hardest thing there was that most of the other kids were really young 10-15 and very immature not caring when they were going home or what they did, and it was hard to not wanna shut em up, ya know? But Brevard c.i. is right next to Cocoa work release in Sharpes it is for youthful offenders 18-25. Hope you get the help you need...Good Luck

Old 05-26-2008, 04:40 PM

Hi

He will be 19 by the time they send him.... The adult prisoners (he is still in county jail) are telling him bad things about YO camps like they will take his gaintime from fighting all the time, that there are alot of kids who don't give a crap so they just start fights all the time... He wants to go to a work camp maybe do you know anything about those? I heard from his attorney that they are better if you can get in to one.did your son go to brevard?

God, Grant me the SERENITY to accept the things I cannot change, The COURAGE to change the things I can and the WISDOM to know the difference.
Amen
(Tylers first Tattoo!!!)
Old 05-28-2008, 07:33 AM

Default angry at ?

Maxx,i'm confused as to who you are angry at,the system or the inmates??Seems to me that your frustration at the inmates needs to be redirected....let us know which facility this is,maybe letters to the warden,govenor,whoever, might get something changed.My grandson will be going to a CI in fl.and this is not the kind of place i'd like him in.I hope your anger for the system is not directed at the kids,they are NOT all hardcore criminals,help us help you change this into a safer place for you and our kids. Can't hurt to try.This whole system needs to be changed maybe this will be a start....CCGMA
The Following User Says Thank You to ccgma For This Useful Post:
thingstosay (05-28-2008)
Old 05-31-2008, 07:45 PM

Default finding inmate

im thinking that he needs to tell the truth and get out of there....what was he thinking????anyway go to vinelink.com you can find any inmate,anystate good luck!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_k_08 View Post
I have friend that is locked up and he is 16 and his friend shot somebody and paralyzed them and he took the fall for him and now he is in lock up for I think about 19 years and I have no idea where hes locked up at I know its in Kansas and his first and last name but I dont know how to get ahold of him or get information on him Can someone please help me?
Old 05-31-2008, 08:09 PM

Default juvenile justice system

my grandson was just sentenced to 6 years as a youthful offender in the state of fl. it was his first offence and he was only 16.drug dealers,rapist,and thugs get less time.the whole system here is messed up,in fl juveniles are direct filed by the prosicutors instead of going before a juvenile judge and letting them decide which court they should be in.it is so hard,my heart goes out to you,hopefully your daughter will be strong and smart and learn from this.keep your head up and fight all you can.as soon as she turns 18 your rights change and its really hard to help her.hopefully by then you will know what is happening with her.good luck,keep asking questions in this forum there is a world of help and support here.you are in my thoughts......
Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouselady View Post
I am new to these forums, actually any forums. I don't really know much about how they work. I am visiting this site because I have a 17 year old daughter that has been getting in progressively worse and worse trouble and she is currently being held in a JDC and may even end up being charged as an adult and go to prison. I have never been through this kind of thing before. It is so hard. I thought maybe getting a chance to hear from others in similar situations would be helpful. I feel like I have lost her completely. Please keep her in your prayers.
The Following User Says Thank You to ccgma For This Useful Post:
thingstosay (06-02-2008)
Old 06-14-2008, 01:56 PM

This message was deleted.
and sometimes
the things that I say
Dont come out right
But I know that this is just a part of me.

GO BUCS! Gotta make it to the SUPER BOWL!

Last edited by rap_gurl; 06-14-2008 at 02:02 PM..
Old 11-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Default Im new just wanted to Introduce myself

Hello to all, just wanted to introduce myself. I have two teenage boys and I never thought I would find myself in this position. They are both currently home but have court dates comming up soon. Youngest is on December 4. My youngest did not do what he is charged with, ( im sure because the photo the cops has is NOT my son) the DA asked if I was sure that it was not my child. My reply was I gave birth I know my son when I see him. He was charged with ATM(creditcard) fraud. Heres my question how can you take someones ATM card and get money from their account without them giving you their pin? The decetive that charged my son said to me when he showed me the photo that he did not think it was my kid. Im not saying hes perfect but come on what happened to you have to have proof? My son spent 60 days in the local juvenile for this before he even had a court date. For 60 days I had to talk to him over a phone,juveniles here dont get to have contact visits! He is home now waiting on December 4 for court. Anyways I just wanted to say hi.Im sure I will be using this site alot as I have no family support. They think my boys are trash and are afraid they may rub off on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to S&Rmom For This Useful Post:
justadeb (11-25-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Donation Award 

welcome S&R mom i am sorry they are doing your son like that..... i pray that this all gets cleared up... i am also sorry to hear you family is not supportive......
hang in there.......and keep us posted on the progress....prayers only the best out come happens....

Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forward. ~Soren Kierkegaard

Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 PM

Smile Thank You

Thanks justadeb, this has been one wild ride. I just spoke with his probation officer he tells me he will fight for my son. I hope his word is good. Lord knows I could use the help. My knees are wore out I have prayed so much. Thanks for the support!
Old 11-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Donation Award 

oh i will also pray his probation officer helps him out... today my son is supposed to have his last pee test...then hopefully it will end .........well it will never end........
i remeber a year ago oct....when i was litteraly crawling on the ground......

Life can only be understood backward, but it must be lived forward. ~Soren Kierkegaard

Old 11-25-2008, 04:29 PM

Smile

Oh Deb, I hope he passes! Good luck and lots of prayers for you and your son. I wished it would end unfortuntly Ive been doing this with my older son 4long long hard years with no support. Both mine have passed their pee tests everytime its not drugs with them its gangs. My lovely ex thinks its cute for them to be involved.Go firgure. Hope all goes well for you.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Donation Award 

ok once again the po called he's got other issues...to deal with so we wait....
good thing i just remembered i forgot to get the dang money order to pay for it
no my son was not arrested for drugs.....
4 years is a long long time to be alone on this ride........there is nothing cool about gangs .....my stupid idiot ex let my son order custom made sneakers @$110.00 ....red and black with bloods embroidered on them...and Lil Yankee..um hello?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:02 PM

Default Kids

Oh deb I hate the wait even though I know the boys are clean! Everything about this process is still so sureal for me even after all this time. I cry every single time I have had to leave one of mine. I dread December!
I know what you mean about the ex and shoes mine does the same. He always has.
OMG!!! I just reread your post he let him do that! He must have the same brain as my ex!
The Following User Says Thank You to S&Rmom For This Useful Post:
justadeb (11-25-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Donation Award 

you know i think i am worried whats going ot happen when he gets let off probation.he has been so straight up......never missed a check in....but i am so afraid all hell is going to break loose when he is not longer being watched........just another dang fear............that cocky attitude is gonna happen....all over.....

Old 11-25-2008, 05:35 PM

Talking

I can totaly relate to that. Thats my bigest fear.Is it ok to add you and your son to the prayer list at my church and also my recently joined prayer group? please keep me posted on how he is.
Have a great evening, Im meeting my daughter for dinner YAY!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Donation Award 

yes please do i will keep you in prayers also...be well be safe ...

Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Donation Award 

to all who stop in
Attached Images
File Type: gif happy_thanksgiving-8428.gif (64.8 KB, 101 views)