Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > PRISON PEN PALS > Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk General talk about prison pen-pals. Please do not place ads in this forum!

Old 11-07-2018, 08:39 PM

Default Response time?

Hi there! Iím Billy. Iím new to this and am curious, how long is the average response time in your experience? I sent a letter approximately a week ago to an inakte at a federal prison. Not antsy, just curious.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2018, 09:56 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,821 Times in 15,568 Posts

Hard to say....other than a week is not near enough time. And if that facility is on lockdown its going to be awhile before you hear back.

Welcome to PTO

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (12-17-2018), miamac (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 10:24 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,218 Times in 7,242 Posts

My first letter to a penpal went out end of May, I heard back late July. As patch said, it really depends on the facility and the inmate. A week's turnaround would be amazing but I would give it at least a month before considering they may not write back.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (12-17-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 07:59 PM

A week turnaround would be really fast even for someone who wasn't in a prison.

From the time I write a letter until I get a response is usually at least two weeks. Occasionally there will be a day or two trimmed off that, but more often it extends to three weeks or a month.

When I first started writing to penpals I sent off letters to three potential penpals. After a month with no response I sent three more. It took three more weeks before I got my first response, and then I got a response from all but one.

R. Mc.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 04:57 AM

My first letter back from my penpal took 6 weeks. Since then they can take anywhere from 1-3/4 weeks to get to me. If nothing else being a penpal teaches you patience haha

I also sent a letter of support to someone off I am a killer the docuseries and he didn’t respond for 4 months!
Old 12-17-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiPP View Post
My first letter back from my penpal took 6 weeks. Since then they can take anywhere from 1-3/4 weeks to get to me. If nothing else being a penpal teaches you patience haha

I also sent a letter of support to someone off I am a killer the docuseries and he didnít respond for 4 months!

Iíve also found penpals though tv shows! My admittedly favorite penpal right now was on Lockup in 2008.
The Following User Says Thank You to yuliya1991 For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 12:05 PM

Default Response time?

My first letter to a prisoner ever... well I sent it when I was underage. I was 14 and well a kid so I didnít realize the ramifications of my actions. He took about a week and a half to reply, my mom found the letter (thank god looking back), grilled my ass and destroyed the letter lol. If anyone underage is reading this and thinking about writing to a prisoneró DONíT. Not only for your sake but also they can get in massive amounts of trouble if the truth is discovered. Just donít do it. Please.

But as an adult, my first letter back from my first penpal took about two weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to yuliya1991 For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Missing my better half
Donation Award 

just here in florida alone from jax to okaloosa it takes a smidge over a week from the time I send it to the time he gets it.. sometimes 2 weeks, depending on who is in the mail room. so Id definitely be patient if they are outside of florida.. good luck with your penpal

one day closer

The Following User Says Thank You to MPsQueen For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (12-17-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 02:43 AM

Used to take 6 weeks or so for a turnaround for me. San Quentin to the UK and vice versa so expect a lot longer usually if you are writing to another country,
The Following User Says Thank You to Witchmojo For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (12-18-2018)
Old 01-10-2019, 03:00 PM

I wrote an email (?) through jpay for the first time to someone about a week ago, an acquaintance from high school. One website said they were in Fl women's reception center but by the time I wrote, it now says hernando CI. Meanwhile jpay itself changed from florida reception center to florida state prison system. Is something like jpay faster and did I need to include my address or anything in the letter? I probably should have just snail mail'd... or they just don't want to talk to me
Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 AM

I wrote to an inmate on JPAY and heard back within a couple of hours? How is this even possible?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:29 AM

The prison has the option of screening all messages sent via Jpay, both incoming and outgoing. My penpal and I have started adding the date and time on each message so we have an idea of what the delay was.

Messages coming to me have a date and time from the Jpay system. There are times that the difference between what my penpal said and what Jpay said was less than 20 minutes. There have been other times when it was DAYS. I suspect that it is a matter of the mood and schedule of whoever at the prison has to approve the messages.

In addition to the delays added by the prison the inmate will have sporadic access. If the inmate has one of the Jpay tablets then they can exchange messages much easier. If they don't have a tablet then they have to wait for an available kiosk, and there is often a queue. All access to the kiosks is frequently shut down. The kiosks break down and are unavailable for days at a time.

So there are times that I have been able to exchange messages in a matter of minutes, and other times it has taken days.

R. Mc.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 PM
I LOVE MY MUSLIM MAN!

Depending on the distance the institution and how you sent your letter letter is usually can take up to six weeks for response emails usually take about six hours tops you may want to check and see if he or she has an email address on Jpay or Corrlinks