Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 09-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Always Special to PTO!

Default Book on Correspondence Courses for Inmates

Book on Correspondence Courses for Inmates

Many men and women behind bars get their education and degrees through correspondence courses. Staci Gorden, book reviewer for the Prisons Foundation, reports on a book that provides help:

The Prisoners' Guerrilla Handbook to Correspondence Programs in the United States and Canada (2nd edition) is a very thorough, step-by-step guide to pursuing an education while in prison. This book focuses on correspondence programs because, for the majority of American prisoners, distance learning is the only way to take college courses and earn degrees. The book is an excellent resource for any inmate who is trying to obtain a GED, associates degree, bachelor's degree, graduate degree, or trade skills training and certificates. The book gives information about over 250 education programs all over the country, with details about tuition, degrees offered, accreditation, courses, text book costs, time limits, transfer hours and more. It explains how to select a program, overcome obstacles in the penal and educational bureaucracy, complete a class, and get a degree.

I found the book to be inspiring, easy to read and informative. The author Jon Marc, is a prisoner, who has been enrolled in some form of post-secondary education since 1982. He has earned a Bachelor's degree as well as a Master's degree, and is currently working on his second Bachelor's degree. In the book, Marc writes, "Over the years, I have witnessed countless changes in my fellow convicts and brother classmates....My fraternity brothers spoke about careers, going straight and, even more remarkable, about being proud of that life style. When prison-students got out, a truly miraculous thing happened. They did not come back." Drawing on his own experiences, as well as those of other inmates, Marc created a book that is a testament to the life-changing, positive influence of post-secondary education while in prison.

Information about ordering the book can be obtained by writing Biddle Publishing Co., 13 Gurnet Road, PMB 103, Brunswick, ME 04011.

"Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2003, 09:33 PM

thanks -- I had found the title of this book on a search and was wondering if it was worthwhile.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:20 PM

How much does it cost for someone to get a degree while they're incarcerated? Anyone know?
Old 09-13-2003, 10:28 PM
Donation Award 

I purchased this book while I was incarcerated. It is full of very good information. As far as costs, there is no federal funding available to someone who is locked up. The man who wrote this book had his education underwritten by different sources...if I remember correctly he appealed to several churches. His book does list schools that offer distance education and the cost per credit hour.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Isn't that book 'Guerilla Handbook' like 30 or 40 dollars? I had already found on the internet all the 'samples' of his book that I've seen. If you don't like being on the internet I guess it would be worth the money..I'd rather find correspondence sites myself and send the money to my sons. Doing a 'Google' search I just put in CA Prison inmates,correspondence schools. Then turn the words around and search again. It's necessary to put in 'Prison Inmates' 'State Prison Inmates' or something like that though otherwise you'll get alot of prisoner of war sites.--Also, if you go to the FAFSA site I posted above there is a place (if you know the name of the school) you can check to see if they accept financial aid. Most of the correspondence schools I've found want cash, but, there are some that qualify. On the thread right before this one I posted some correspondence schools that cater to inmates and there is also an address in Washington posted there that will give you info. on everything.