Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Success Stories Please share your coming-home success stories here.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:02 PM

Default Back from Aliceville

Well I left September 9th 2013 on my way to Aliceville camp. I am out now on home confinement. I posted all sorts of plans on here before I left about the type of prisoner I was going to be. I think for the most part I stuck to the plan. I worked out and read books all day. I read one book per day. The hardest thing was seeing my family every other week and not be able to leave with them. Both my husband and kids took it harder than I did. It was surreal being incarcerated. The day I left Aliceville, I was nervous when my family took me out to eat at huddle house. After we ate, we went to Dollar General and i almost had a panic attack and had to walk out. We went there to get some hygiene supplies before they dropped me off at the halfway house. I have been out for almost 3 months now and the nervousness has subsided. Getting a decent job has been next to impossible. I have been working in factories which is OK but I have a PhD in psychology and would really like to go back to teaching. I have a couple of places that seem interested and they know my background but SEVERAL places have turned me down even though I am qualified and they were in need of college instructors. I am trying to keep my head up but it seems like I served my time in prison and will have to keep being punished in this society for ever. I am glad to he out but if I did not have a family I would have chosen to stay in prison until i was off BOP papers. All in all I think I am a success story in that I have a family who waited for me and I do get to work and I am in good health.

Last edited by mtoles; 02-23-2016 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Mistakes
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mtoles For This Useful Post:
Abolitionist (03-02-2016), EyesOpening (03-04-2020), FelonLady (08-14-2018), foolio (03-10-2016), Free At Last 5 (02-23-2020), matrock130 (02-24-2016), sass4221 (02-23-2016), shs76 (03-09-2016), sidewalker (03-02-2016), TheMiracleWorker (02-24-2016), xolady (08-24-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 6,396 Times in 3,195 Posts

Welcome home!!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:52 PM

Welcome back to the “real world”(?), as people call it (for reasons that escape me)...

I’m sorry to be the conveyer of unhappy news, but... After I did my time inside the fence (for DUI with no bodily injury, which is what it is but isn’t exactly the most heinous offense that ever was) and got out, I’ve found that people who I thought were my “friends” (HA!) for decades view and treat me as a pariah. There are times when I feel like I’m a serial rapist/murderer or something like that.

I’m now four years out, a year off of paper and over a decade past the date of my conviction, but that whole part of my past sticks to me like flypaper. I’m happy that I’m retired and don’t have to wrestle with the employment conundrum. I wish it was otherwise. I spent my three years on Parole without a single problem, but was still treated that entire time with the utmost in suspicion, distrust and disrespect by every one of the Parole people that I ever dealt with. To this day, I can’t comprehend why the prison/parole dept in my state is called the department of “Corrections and Community Supervision”, because in my experience they have absolutely nothing to do with “correction” but everything to do with punishment---and in an unprofessional, spiteful and vindictive way at that. I guess they like self-glorifying, euphemistic names.

I hope you can get over the hurdles that we face and put your past behind you. I wish I could, but my attempts to do that just haven’t worked for me and I’ve found it more realistic (at least for me) to just tough it out and live with it. I hope that with luck and in time, your experience will be different than mine has proven to be. Best wishes and best of luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
Abolitionist (03-02-2016), mtoles (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:07 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,894 Times in 13,714 Posts

Thank you for the update. Keep trying to find your teaching job, one "yes" erases all of the previous "nos".

The only people I met who were able to "serve out" their federal sentences, being released without a probation tail, were locked up for (usually multiple) supervised release violations, and there were damn few of them. Most served their PV, and then faced even more time on SR.

I hated everything about SR, but the US Congress has decided that a prison sentence is never punishment enough, so they added a second sentence of supervised release. Some recent changes to the laws, they seem to be constantly changing for the worse, even allows for a sentence of "lifetime supervised release". Even thinking about it is a nightmare for me.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:39 PM
Owned
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,610 Times in 2,086 Posts

I understand I was one of the lucky ones, but the two POs I had during my five years of federal probation were always pleasant, professional and never once asked anything unrealistic of me. I actually enjoyed their visits, but I never once forgot why they were there and who they were. I was always aware I had done wrong, but they figured out early on I was not going to be a repeat offender.

I was allowed to leave my district for my mom's illness and death just a few months after release and I was given blanket permission to go visit somebody in a federal prison without having to get prior permission. I just had to leave a message the day before going, but I could go anytime I wanted.

I was religious about all my paperwork, I never even thought about breaking the rules and I did NOT have restitution.

Again, I understand not everybody had it the way I did, but my supervised release was very low key.

Also, everybody at my job knew my story so my PO stopping by, even though they always called first, wasn't a problem. I had nothing to hide and my crime wasn't one that seems to doom people to hell for all eternity.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-24-2016), mtoles (02-25-2016), xolady (08-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

The experience is definitely PO specific, and some of them are more professional than others. I did complete SR with no issues, no problems at all.

My two biggest complaints were the way one PO demanded how I had to spend my money, even when I had satisfied all of my liabilities with the federal courts. It was as if it was her money.

The other big problem, also unnecessary, was the large number of restrictions placed on me when I filed a travel request to say goodbye to my Dad, who had just entered end of life hospice care in another state. They were so obnoxious that I didn't go.

The other thing I found to be totally unprofessional was the frequent assurances from my PO that I would get an early discharge from SR, but I ended up doing every day of it anyway.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:58 PM

Default welcome back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoles View Post
Well I left September 9th 2013 on my way to Aliceville camp. I am out now on home confinement. I posted all sorts of plans on here before I left about the type of prisoner I was going to be. I think for the most part I stuck to the plan. I worked out and read books all day. I read one book per day. The hardest thing was seeing my family every other week and not be able to leave with them. Both my husband and kids took it harder than I did. It was surreal being incarcerated. The day I left Aliceville, I was nervous when my family took me out to eat at huddle house. After we ate, we went to Dollar General and i almost had a panic attack and had to walk out. We went there to get some hygiene supplies before they dropped me off at the halfway house. I have been out for almost 3 months now and the nervousness has subsided. Getting a decent job has been next to impossible. I have been working in factories which is OK but I have a PhD in psychology and would really like to go back to teaching. I have a couple of places that seem interested and they know my background but SEVERAL places have turned me down even though I am qualified and they were in need of college instructors. I am trying to keep my head up but it seems like I served my time in prison and will have to keep being punished in this society for ever. I am glad to he out but if I did not have a family I would have chosen to stay in prison until i was off BOP papers. All in all I think I am a success story in that I have a family who waited for me and I do get to work and I am in good health.
Welcome home.
The Following User Says Thank You to matrock130 For This Useful Post:
mtoles (02-25-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 04:37 PM
Abolitionist
Donation Award 

Hi there and welcome home!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 AM

Default Federal System Perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoles View Post
Have you tried applying for federal jobs? Supposedly, they are suppoed to look beyond criminal records....

Last edited by tigerfootballqu; 03-09-2016 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: misspelled
Old 03-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

There is a free bonding program available through the federal government to protect employers of former inmates from theft. Here's an article from "The McLaughlin Company".
http://www.bonds4jobs.com/program-background.html
Old 11-02-2016, 12:11 PM

Just an update. I finally found a teaching job in a college in June. It is part time just teaching 2-4 classes but I have really been greatful for the opportunity to do something I'm good at and a job that makes me feel " not like an eternal inmate". My probation is not so good because I owe restitution. Since I owe, they are always on me about working more and paying more. My officer basically told me to get a job in a factory in addition to teaching part time. It is difficult preparing lectures and grading papers and seeing 80 students during the week and then trying to go pick and pack at some factory. I will never be able to pay off my restitution anytime soon because of my felony status and what it prohibits me from doing. It is so depressing to go to the office and have them pressure me and threaten me with "the judge wants this and the judge says this" all the time. I heard that even though I am trying hard that I will have to serve out my probation until 2019, which is the entire time. It's like going to prison all that time meant nothing. My husband, kids and folks (aunt and cousin who came to see me in Aliceville every other month for over 2 years) have been great on the days I come back from the federal bldg. They take me out and remind me of what a good person I am, and that I am their mom, wife, cousin and niece, who has more than paid for any and all past mistakes. If the judge knew about that I guess he would raise my restitution since my family can afford to take me to dinner somewhere decent every now and again. I am nervous about asking to go on a trip my cousin wants to pay for in March for my birthday to US Virgin Islands even though I have not asked to go anywhere since my probation started. I am going to keep trying to get a full time professor job. I think after a couple of years of teaching adjunct i may be able to convince a University to take a chance on me. I will come back and update.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtoles For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-02-2016), FelonLady (08-14-2018), Sarianna (11-10-2016)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:42 PM

Hi Mtoles, thank you for the update, it is so nice to hear people are making progress. It's very hard, I know. You are rising above all the crap they are throwing at you.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:32 AM

Good to hear that you’re making progress---congratulations! From everything I’ve seen and experienced, progress for those of us who were inside and got back out comes gradually and discouragingly slowly. I wish it came with breathaking speed, but I haven’t seen that happen to anybody I ever knew. It’s frustrating, but our lot in life is to endure, persist and be patient---despite all the pressures that make doing/being those things difficult for us. Stick with it and things will continue to gradually get better. Best of luck with your continued efforts and success.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:41 AM

Well I thought I would post an update: I was supposed to get off probation April of 2019. The Judge decided i had not suffered enough because I still lived in my home and have a decent teaching job. I paid my restitution late once in 3 years so he said i also violated my probation and extended me for 14 more months. I am speechless st this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to mechelltoles For This Useful Post:
Firebrand (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 03:40 AM

Wow i am so puzzled at why it was extended but im in Scotland so its way different to US . Glad to see you are doing ok though.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:26 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,565 Times in 1,792 Posts
Default food for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechelltoles View Post
Well I thought I would post an update: I was supposed to get off probation April of 2019. The Judge decided i had not suffered enough because I still lived in my home and have a decent teaching job. I paid my restitution late once in 3 years so he said i also violated my probation and extended me for 14 more months. I am speechless st this point.
I realize I’m thinking outside the box here and it may be a shot in the dark, but why not contact your state representative or a senator and say to them what you’ve shared with us here in this thread. If you’ve done your part and you’re getting slammed like this then, try and do something about it. All they can say is no.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:07 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

I'm sorry you caught a nasty probation officer. They do exist, and it can be impossible to get rid of them until you are released from probation.

In many court systems, including the US federal courts, a judge has to extend supervision, usually at the request of the PO, so my question is was a court involved in your added punishment? If not. I would find out how the PO has the authority to summarily extend the term of your time under court supervision.

If you weren't punished sufficiently, the blame should fall on the PO, not on you, since you did everything you were told to do. Federal supervised release rules apply to everyone (regular and special conditions) and all you are required to do is follow the formal, written rules you are given. The actual rules you were given by your sentencing judge are listed in your judgment & commitment order. If you don't have it, your lawyer does. It is also available online through Pacer.
https://www.pacer.gov/

I guarantee that your supervised release rules did not include having to take a crappy job and/or having to live somewhere other than in your family home.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 02-23-2020 at 05:20 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (03-15-2020)