Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 08-01-2005, 05:21 PM

Hi Sarah, Glad you found us...and have made this connection, a connection that will do its utmost to get you thru the times when the walking gets harder than you think you can bear. that is how its been for the Native People for 500 years...the guidance we recieve from our The Great Mystery's creations, our Earth Mothers nurturing abd the spirits who guide our lives. If we stay close to our traditions, these will indeed protect us and even with our loved ones in the iron house we can live in beauty and share that with those we love, helping them to find beauty in that harsh enviroment.

looking forward to sharing with you....

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2005, 05:26 PM

Hi Eldon's wife!!! welcome to our little but growing forum!!! I am sorry to hear your husband has been seperated from you physically, but I am sure you have learned that nothing...NOTHING...seperates the spiritual unless you allow it...

The ways of the ancients are what has allowed the Native People to survive. The teachings also serve us in the physical seperations fro0m are physical seperation from our loved ones and they from us.

One day, I am told, they will save our Earth Mother from destruction and us, her children...one day when the world listens. It happens slowly, one heart one spirit at a time. I welcome you to our little forum and to the beauty ways of life and living.

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 09-19-2005, 01:21 AM
amanda8088

Hello everyone!

I am new to PTO, and am happy to see this site! I have a friend who is incarerated, wrongfully, for an attempted burglary. He is half Cherokee, and a great person.

He has lost his father, being thrown off the reservation in Oaklahoma with his mother, who is Causausian by his grandmother. His father's name is Fast Brown Owl, and should be full-blooded Cherokee from Oaklahoma. My friend only knows that his father was imprisoned by the Federal Prison, because he shot a marshall who was trying to remove a juvenile from the tribe for a "crime", and to my limited understanding, Tribal land is a Sovereign Nation, and the white law enforcement is to NOT interfere with Tribal Justice, as they have their own.

I have brought up the subject with him more than once, and he has lost everyone in his life, a wife from an overdose, and a baby sold to the "mexicanMafia " he told me for drug money, that his common-law wife sold the baby to them.

I realize that this is very sketchy and choppy, and I have such limited information.

All I know is that his mother, who is Caucausian has steadfastly refused to allow him ANY information on his real father. Thus, because of this, he has severed his relationship with his mother, because she will not tell him any information on what she does know about his birth father. I even offered to write her, and he refuses to give me her address, and his last name is a common one.

He is presently incarearated at Huntsville. Need I say more, for the last 20 years.

Is there any Legal Assistance available for wrongly incarearated Native Americans.

To me, it makes no difference that he is half Cherokee, as he practices the Red Path way of Life. And this man who has lost everything, will not give me any details of this injustice, only saying, it is being taken care of.

He is of course, indigent, and he has just now started his own website for artwork to support himself, and I am very proud of him for that accomplishment.

If anyone has any suggestions on who I can even contact for a Cherokee tribe in Oaklahoma, I am sure someone would have heard of a Native American incarearated, named Fast Brown Owl! I can't do much for him, but I do send money when i can, which he fought me about for almost a year, but it helped him, and he was very appreciative.

If anyone has any information on help in locating his father, he would be thrilled beyond belief to be in touch with him. As he won't allow me to help him legally, this is one thing I can do for him.

My name is amanda8088.

Thank you all, and May the Great Creator keep you Within his Light!

amanda8088
Old 09-19-2005, 10:30 PM

Hello Amanda & Welcome to Pto,Native American Forum. I'm happy you found us. Here are two places you might start with to help in your search. Cherokee Agency BIA Cherokee, N. C. 28719~~or~~ Cherokee Nation, Registration Dept. P. O. Box 948 Tahlequah, Ok. 74465. If his father is on the dawes rolls, one of these places may have an address or send you to the right place to search. Hope this helps GOOD LUCK!!
Old 09-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Love my husband~AZ Alumni
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,001 Times in 760 Posts

Hi Amanda, welcome to the Native American Forum!!
Old 09-20-2005, 01:49 PM
amanda8088

Hi everyone!

I'm new and am totally lost!! i posted a thread two days ago here, I thought on the first page, and it was about locating "Fast Brown Owl" from the Cherokee tribe in oaklahoma. Now I can't find my post.

Could it have been moved?

Sorry......What am I doing wrong?

Amanda8088
Old 09-20-2005, 08:56 PM

Lets see how short & sweet I can make this for you. I am apache/piaute & my husband is navajo(Dine) & chickasaw. We met thirteen years ago & have been together ten of those years....all of this has been while he's been incarcerated. You don't have any control of who you fall in love with. If you truly love, in which I'm sure you do, then all you can do is stick by his side, encourage your boyfriend to be strong but most importantly support him in what he does. My husband has been incarcerated for nearly 20 years. I'm not sure how much more time he has before being released. My husband started to shut the outside world out & wouldn't allow anyone to get close to him. I am constantly reminding my husband that he's not alone in this fight, that there is someone out here that loves him other than his family. My husband & I are in Oregon & his family is in Colorado. What we've got to remember is that our loved ones are in a whole different "ball game." A ball game that we don't understand no matter how they try to explain things to us. Our loved ones do what they have to do in order to "survive." I personally wasn't looking for love, but love found me. My husband is absolutely everthing to me....he's my partner, my balance, my soulmate, my bestfriend, my hero & the love of my life...my rhyme & reason to & in life. There isn't a time that doesn't go by that I don't think about him. There isn't anything that I wouldn't do for him. Just know that neither of you are alone in these travels. Stay strong.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:58 AM
amanda8088

Dear CCRsMomm and Kapi!

Thanks so much for your welcome and information. i really appreciate it. My friend said his father was imprisoned In Leavenworth or a Federal Prison for shooting a law enforcement officer, who came onto the reservation to remove a juvenile, which is not allowed for them to trespass.

He is a close friend, but isn't my boyfriend.

He has been in prison for 20 years on a false charge, and he won't allow me to try to get legal representation for him, if I knew where to even look.

I could check the prison locater for BOP, but is it possible that he would still be imprisoned after 38 years--his father, I meant to say?

I only know Fast Brown Owl, but I only know he is pure Cherokee from Oaklahoma.

My friend won't come out of his cell very often for rec or anything much ever!

Of course he has trust and abandonment issues, and I feel I understand why, so it isnt even an issue, if he comes across harsh.

For example, I sent him an Owl calender, a letter, and some other Internet printouts recently, and the mailroom lost them. So he was angry and told me he didnt believe I ever sent them.

We always work things out, and I don't take things personally. I hope someday he will get released, but he doesnt even come up for parole until 2034, because he was defending himself against an assault. TDCJ said that didnt even mean he would be released then, as there were no guarantees. Everyone knows how tough Texas is anyway, but c'mon! It really makes me angry!

So, he was just 18 when he went in, and he has now served 20 years for something he said someone else committed.

It is a disgrace than native Americans are treated this way!

Anyway, thanks to you both. I finally found my post, so I will write both places.

He wouldn't have a last name, right? Just his Native American name?

I really appreciate both of you for your advice, so thank you both very much!

I hope after all this time, his father is still alive, although it sounds awful to say.

Thanks so much for this section of PTO!

It is very much needed, and as all of you can see, it is very popular already, as their problems are even worse than other inmates, and being in the Texas system isnt any help!

Take care all!

If I find out anything, I will be sure to let you know!

amanda8088
Old 10-05-2005, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter
I had just heard that prisoners had to take a test , maybe it was to prove they were native american, or involved in the church. I dont know much about it. I have a brother in prison and he said he had to take some kind of test to prove his religion[native american] so he could be moved to a different facility.
Apparently in the Orange County jail system Native Americans don't exist. My fiancee is Apache/ Cherokee and they listed him as Mexican-Latin American at his booking because it was the closest option. Odd because there were catagories for Cambodians, Vietnames, Koreans, Chinese and lots of other specific countries. However there was not at least one broad catagory for Native Americans. I wonder how many Native Americans are in prisons under Mexican.....Oh, well.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:23 AM

thats sp unbelievablu pathetic, ChisGurl...and illegal...check in with your local AIM group and see what they can do...or the surrounding native communities...I'll see what i can find...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 01-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Donation Award 

Hello,
I never knew you were all here in all this time ,and am so glad to be a part of this as I have both Indian and Mexican in my history actually Sapanish and Indian. My Indian side is of the Apache and Navajo. I have a cousin that has the whole family tree and want to get it from her or a copy anyways. My son practise's the Indian faith and is very strong into it! He has been locked up since he was 21 and is now 35 yrs old. One day soon he will be out is what is in our prayers. 2007 is supposed to be the year! And I am ready. Thank you for letting me speak my peace here as now I feel at home!!

Last edited by Brent's Mom; 01-25-2006 at 05:14 PM..
Old 01-26-2006, 03:46 AM

BB'S Mom, we are glad you found us!!! I am soooooooooooooo happy that you found us, and your son has fount the ways oif his ancestor's to get him thru this time. It is so true, that many do not find the traditions of our elder's until they are incarcerated. And that is probably the number one most hugest reason why our loved ones are locked up. without that knowing, as Indian people we find ourselves lost in this world...the ancestors ways that live in our blood are trying to guide us, yet we have no way to listen...This world is a very confusing place without the ancestral knowing of how to get by...that knowledge is timeless and basic. I look forward to your sharing with us, and hope we can offer you support, resources, and whatever it takes to get you and Brent through the long days and longer nights of your separation...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 01-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Account Closed

Welcome Brent's mom. Hope you'll join our discussions and your son will continue to do well.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Donation Award 

Thank You All,
It means so much to be in a place where I am understood! It has been very hard since my oldest son was taken from me. In Texas the prisoners are there's they do not belong to you or anyone else. I was happy when he was in Amerillo as that is when he started to walk the path and relized who he was and proud of it. My anscester's have gone thru alot thru time and the road gets rough at times but in our beliefe our time will come. Justice comes in many forms and we belive we will have ours as my son is in there for something he never did and I can say that beacuse I was there along with my husband who is also half Indian (Cherokee) and my mother. But our words meant nothing to the courts. There was no physical evadence to speak of and it was a he said she said case! Well we knew from he start he would lose and I don't think I have to say why except she was white!
So this is my story and and my son has had to live out a nightmare for so many years untill he found his Indian brothers who have helped him so much I couldn't begin to thank them enough. He is grown now with alot of wisdom and has alot of talent as an artist. He says he is going to write and draw a book when he gets home to open many eyes as to what goes on in place's that he's been and maybe help some young buck learn a new way of life to keep out of trouble as not to end up in these place's. Thank you for reading and taking the time to see thru my eyes what we have been thru if only for a little while. He appreciates it to as he is very happy that I have found you as I wrote and told him and knowing him the way I do He will be thrilled. Thanks again. Cathy

Old 01-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Donation Award 

I also wanted to thank you for your welcomes to this place as I feel it's an honor to be here . And I am willing to help in anyway that I can anybody that needs me. I am always here and glad to recieve you! We all must stick together as our people did so long ago.
so let me know if there is anything I can do for anybody!
Thank you again! Cathy

Old 03-19-2006, 09:47 PM

Default excessive sentencing

My friend had a horrible car accident in OK and was charged with murder and got 160 years. Need any direction for help. He never appealed and has limited funds but descrimination was an obvious issue can anyone advise.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:32 AM
Account Closed

I wish I had some help for you, kalinkak. I hope you will keep searching and someone will see your post.

I would try AIM and any Native group in your area.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinkak
My friend had a horrible car accident in OK and was charged with murder and got 160 years. Need any direction for help. He never appealed and has limited funds but descrimination was an obvious issue can anyone advise.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Donation Award 

Wingy, and those of you that have read my post will notice that I changed my name for the main reason there were too many BBS MOM's on here and getting us confussed. So now I go by Brent's Mom which I should of done to begin with. But what I said before I meant, if there is anything I can do for anyone within reason I will. My son is doing well and following the red road and have found alot of truth where he's at. It won't be long before he is home, and this I'm thankful for. I hope all is well with all of you! Thank you Cathy

Old 03-26-2006, 11:19 AM

kalinkak, Chintath's advice is all that i would be able to offer, also...a starting place, at least. That and you have found us, a good place to vent and share and look for support...we are here for you

Brent's Mom, gotcha...a good choice on your part i think!!!

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 03-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Banned

Kalinkak -

Please check the Indian law center at the law school of Arizona State University. There is a very good bunch of people working for justice for natives out there. The main guy, I believe, is named Robert. 160 years? that's overkill. Best of luck.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:47 AM

my friend is native american in ohio. does anyone know of where he can go to get help for his situation. he was put in prison yesterday after six years of on and off trials and an unfair one at tht. any info would be helpful. thanks.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:34 AM
waiting for my heart

Welcome Weeyawakee, Unfortunately in Ohio there are not many that will allow American Indians to practice their faith. What prison is he being sent to. My Raven is in Ross and is the only listed American Indian.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Welcome, Weeyawakee...on the resources link, in our forum, you will find a link for different regional AIM groups...thats a good place to start...Also, the Band or Nation to which your friend belongs may have resources available or know where to point you...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
Old 06-05-2006, 09:07 PM

Just Wanted To Say Hello To Any Native Women Out There. My Man Is In Asp Florence. I Have Been Visiting For A Month Now. He Will Be There For Two Years. Feel Free To Message Me Back.

Waiting For Martin
Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 PM

Hey MMCT, thanks for stopping by...Hope your guy is getting along inside, ok...and you're doing ok on the outside...hope to see more of you on here....

(til the next time)

Cyndi