Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of South Carolina.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Donation Award 

Default Evans Correctional Institution (Level 2)

Evans Correctional Institution(Level 2)
Willie Eagleton, Warden
610 Highway 9 West
Bennettsville, SC 29512
843-479-4181 or 803-896-4900 or 803-734-0652

Mailing Address:
P.O. 2951202
Bennettsville, SC 29512

Web page:
http://www.doc.sc.gov/InstitutionPages/Evans.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Evans Correctional Institution

Does anyone has a loved one in the Evans facility? If so please reply. I have some questions regarding the facility. Thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 11:41 AM

Yes! I Have A Love One At The Evans Facility. I Don' T Know Much But I Might Know What You Don't.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:47 PM

Default Hotels near Evans Correctional Institution in Bennettsville?

My husband will be released on Dec. 30 so I'm going to fly to Charlotte, NC and then drive to Bennettsville, SC on the 29th and spend the night alone there before picking him up on the morning of the 30th. I have no idea where to stay overnight in the Bennettsville area. I'll be alone so I really need to know of a nice safe place to stay. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:47 AM

Default Can anyone help please?

Please?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Default Sc

http://www.sciway.net/city/bennettsville.html#e

I can just about promise you that you'll be safe and sound while in Bennettsville, SC; it's a very small area and the people that live there are well aware that the federal prison keeps them employed. The crime rate is low (don't forget most of the bad guys are IN the federal prison! ) and I think you'll be fine.

You biggest problem might be understanding the accents - please PM me if you need more information, but I wouldn't worry one minute about spending the night there.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:32 AM

My son is at Evans. I have NOTHING but good things to say about the people around Bennettsville. I have found them to be good, honest and helpful people. Please don't take what I am about to write as "knocking" the people of Bennettsville. Motels around Evans are few and what's available in Bennettsville doesn't meet our needs. My husband and I stay at Jameson Inn in Cheraw when we stay overnight in the area. It is about 10 miles from Evans on Highway 9 (the same road Evans is on) so you won't get lost trying to get to and from Evans. Seems like we pay about $60.00. The rooms are nice, clean, the staff extremely pleasant and helpful. There are restaurants and shopping should you forget something at home, next door. Wherever you stay, please make your reservation well in advance. Bennettsville is about 12 miles from Rockingham, NC and when there is a race or some kind of car event at Rockingham the motels fill up quick.

Are you sure about the release date? My understanding is inmates are released on the 1st of the month. December releases would leave December 1. Maybe this December 30th has something to do with January 1st being a holiday. Just to be safe, I'd call administration and make sure of the release date before I paid for a motel. Good luck.

Sherrie
Old 10-03-2005, 10:01 AM

I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I am very happy for you and wish you all the best in your future. I wish it were my son being released but he will have his day when it is his turn. Take care of yourself and don't bite your nails down waiting for these few months to go by! I'd say good luck but that's not enough. GREAT LUCK to you always.
Sherrie
Old 10-03-2005, 04:39 PM

Thank you. I did call the prison to check and because Jan. 1 is a holiday they are releasing all Jan. 1 inmates on Friday Dec. 30! I looked up the Jameson Inn and it looks a bit nicer than the Holiday Inn Express in Bennettsville (although I'm sure either will be fine for a night), so maybe I'll try to stay there. Thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmom221
My son is at Evans. I have NOTHING but good things to say about the people around Bennettsville. I have found them to be good, honest and helpful people. Please don't take what I am about to write as "knocking" the people of Bennettsville. Motels around Evans are few and what's available in Bennettsville doesn't meet our needs. My husband and I stay at Jameson Inn in Cheraw when we stay overnight in the area. It is about 10 miles from Evans on Highway 9 (the same road Evans is on) so you won't get lost trying to get to and from Evans. Seems like we pay about $60.00. The rooms are nice, clean, the staff extremely pleasant and helpful. There are restaurants and shopping should you forget something at home, next door. Wherever you stay, please make your reservation well in advance. Bennettsville is about 12 miles from Rockingham, NC and when there is a race or some kind of car event at Rockingham the motels fill up quick.

Are you sure about the release date? My understanding is inmates are released on the 1st of the month. December releases would leave December 1. Maybe this December 30th has something to do with January 1st being a holiday. Just to be safe, I'd call administration and make sure of the release date before I paid for a motel. Good luck.

Sherrie
Old 11-02-2005, 09:06 AM

I assume what you want us to do is tell about our visits to an individual institution. If I've put this in the wrong place, please move it.

Evans Correctional Facility - Bennettsville, SC. Visitation is alternating. If visitation is morning on Saturday then the visit on Sunday will be afternoon. Also, visits that are Saturday morning this week will be Saturday afternoon next week. I like this schedule because living so far away making a Saturday morning visit would mean getting up at 5am but if I waited until the next Saturday then I could visit in the afternoon.

There ain't no fast way to get to Evans. I live in Columbia and it's a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. I take I-20 to Highway 1 - Camden Exit. Stay on Highway 1 until you get to Cheraw and connect with Highway 9. Evans is on Highway 9 about 10 miles from Cheraw on the right.

The only time I've stayed overnight I stayed at the Jameson Inn in Cheraw - about 13 miles from Evans. I was very impressed. It's not the Hyatt Regency but at approx. $65.00 a night it was good, clean, friendly and convenient. I would not be afraid to stay at this motel by myself. I stayed on a "biker weekend", Rockingham Raceway is about 20 miles away and I experience no rowdiness or disruption that some places complain of with the biker crowd. I definitely recommend it. There are several eateries close by - 1 right next door. SUGGESTION: Rooms fill up quick on biker/race weekends. Definitely call ahead and make reservations asap to make sure you don't end up with nowhere to stay.

I don't mean to sound ugly but I don't like Evans. I find very little cheer there. You almost feel that you have to whisper when you talk in the visitation room. There are no games or toys for the babies to play with. CO's walk among the tables constantly and seem to inject their presence whether it's called for or not. I've never visited an institution that didn't end visitation afew minutes early but Evans takes the cake, imo. This past weekend they ended visitation approx. 40 minutes before the 5pm cutoff. I actually went through all the check points, walked to my car and pulled out of the parking lot at 4:33.

Most of the CO's are professional and competent. I can't say friendly because I don't think even 1 has ever even smiled. I understand they aren't there for a meet and greet but give me a break. Would it kill them to politely respond to your greeting? Instead you mostly get eyes narrowed, a blank stare and a feeling that you dared speak to them. I get that if I say thank you when they tell me what table to sit at. What's wrong with "your welcomed"? Understand RULES will be followed STRICTLY. They will explain the rules to you but it will not be done friendly - professionally yes but not friendly. If you ever have a problem at Evans, it will not be the staff's fault. You will be called a liar and you will be dismissed. I learned this 1st hand. This is the only place I've been called a liar and defending myself was pointless. I feel sorry for the inmates there. If we as family members are treated so harshly imagine how the inmates must be treated. This is not just in visitation. Upon calling the institution with the offer of help to get a new program going to help inmates I was told "we have all the programs we need". The call was ended with a click. No thanks for calling, kiss my patoody or goodbye - just a click. No wonder this place is notorious for riots.

When you visit you go into the front of the institution. There you give the inmate number, side step a dog that's laying on the floor, have your money counted, your ID checked, have your shoes checked, hold out your arms for a hand held metal detector sweep, get a stamp on your hand, put on your shoes, gather your possessions and take your visitation slip. You then go into a sally port (no more than 4 people at a time). Only thing I can see about this is it's to control the number of people walking to or from the institution which is a good thing because you don't have crowds gathering in 1 place. You are not allowed out of the sally port until you show your slip and id. Then you walk a short distance to the real entrance to the institution. There you give your id to the CO and they check your hand stamp. You go through a set of locked doors and arrive at the visitation room. There they hold onto your visitation slip and assign you a table to visit. Upon leaving you go out the same way. Gather your visitation slip, gather your id at the next desk, show your id and visitation slip to the CO in the Sally Port and leave your visitation slip at the front desk on the way out.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Chris's mom

Default Evans Correction Institute

I would like to that a thread started just for family and friends of other inmates in Evans. My son is 18, he just got there last week. He got 21 years, and he is a paraplegic in a wheelchair. Please post if you have anyone in Evans or any thing that you would like to say about Evans that might could help someone else. Thanks, Chris's mom
Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Waiting For 2010

my best friend is being kept at Evans. This is his second stay there. The system keeps bouncing him back and forth between there and Kershaw. It's really irritating. I havent been to visit at Evans at all. The first time we were having trouble getting my name onto his list and now I just havent been. He was there during the big riot that broke out a few years ago. I think it was around 2003/2004. it was all over the news. I was so worried about him because at first it had been reported that the riot had started in the wing his cell was on. I've never heard anything good about this place. Not even from him, who can find at least one good point to anything.

Down To Ride Member #43
Anywhere But Here Member #3
No Matter The Distance Or Time Member #6
Always There Club #1
Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Evans Correctional Facility

My fiance was transferred here today and he says it's now a level 2.

Does anyone have any information on this?

I would really love it! I'm in the dark!

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2006, 11:52 AM

FYI- I visited my fiance for the first time and it was such a wonderful visit! We had to sit across the table...but we held hands the whole time. He kissed and hugged me when I got there and we could kiss and hug to say goodbye. I think they were very fair and decent. I see our visits as a privledge and I am so thankful I can visit him like this. I think we can make it for the next 5 years! I know we can now!

Old 07-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

What good news and I'm very happy to read your visit was so nice.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:45 PM

Thumbs up

I have a son at Evans, but we have not visited him yet.
Godisgracious

Can the inmates use the computer to email us?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:49 PM

I dont believe they are allowed to use computers..
Old 08-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Chris's mom

Default EVANS CORRECTION INSTITUTION & my son

It's really wierd, my son has only be in for 5 months and already I feel like a prison expert. When he went in I was so worried. He was only 18 years old and a paraplegic in a wheelchair. When he was at home, I helped him do everything (from fixing his dinner plate, to helping his put his shoes on).

I got a letter from another inmate that is a friend of my son. He said that he wanted me to know that my son was doing great. He has adjusted really well and the long time offenders has taken my son under their wings so to speak. When he went in I told his to find the biggest and baddest person there and be there friend. (I was only familiar with the prison system thru movies and tv). My son said that the inmates greeted him and invited him to church services and showed him around. My son's friend told me to never worry about my son because he was well taken care of there. I found out recently that my son's friend is in for life no parole. I sent my son's friend a letter asking why he was taking an interest in a handicapped boy in a wheelchair. He replied that my son gave him and others a purpose. They enjoyed his company )because he has a knack for listening to other peoples problems) and when he went to the showers they would block it off to everyone else so my son could shower in private. He said that he wanted my son to learn to take care of himself and become a man. He said that he didn't mind cleaning up my son and the other inmates felt the same way.
It was a relief to have someone speak about my son that way. I have learned that he can do anything, even from prison he can take care of himself. I am grateful to the other so called long term violent offenders for taking the time to show my son how to survive in prison.
The c/o's have come to show my son respect also and have gone out of their way to be nice to him. My son's best friend drowned on Monday afternoon, I called the prison and my son called me back within 5 minutes so I could break the news to him. When he first went in the co/s knew me by my first name I called so many times, but they were never rude to me. Prison is not where I would like for him to be, but at least prison is letting him grow up to become the man that he needs to be.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:49 AM

Hugs to you.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:38 PM

I'm glad to hear your son is doing so well. I have learned there are many good hearted people in prison they just made mistakes in their lives, who hasn't?
Old 08-06-2006, 06:59 AM

I am glad he is doing well. I have a brother in prison. His sense of humor helps him be well liked.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:17 PM

Most inmates cannot use email or internet at all BUT sometimes you have trustees that earn the right and can use it...but it is very limited. I am looking into it but I dont think so.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:22 PM

Its so nice to hear good things...they warm your soul...because this is a hard time to get through! Remember this and be thankful when it rains...it will lift your spirits.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Waiting 4 Kenny

My man was at Evans a couple of years and all I can say is Thank God he is out of there. It was and is an awful place. He was there when the riot broke out and OMG I was a nervous wreck til I heard from him. Unfortunately, he is still in prison, but thankfully not at Evans!!!
Rhonda, SC
Old 08-31-2006, 05:02 PM

Hello. Your son's situation with being in a wheelchair, and in prison, my heart goes out to you. Isn't it conforting to know that he is being looked after by the others there! Blessings to you & your son.