Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of South Carolina.

Old 12-25-2004, 11:23 PM

Just wanted to welcome you and SCDCMum to PTO.
As you already know, this is a womderful site full of knowledgeable and caring folks who always do their utmost to help and support you when they can.
Sorry I cannot help you on your questions...as a father I can really sympathise with your love and concern for your son.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Prison Survivor

Please see my thread for further info on finding someone in South Carolina DOC here:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...985#post916985
Old 12-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Donation Award 

It sounds like Allen is adjusting and thinking about things. I know that makes you feel better. Why is he going back to county jail?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:28 PM

i got my fiences SCDC# and SID off the inmate search on the SCDC page. im glad i did but i also just had to call up to Kirkland and they gave me his number but they said I MUST have it on the letter for him to recieve mail. Donald is sitting there waiting to be moved somewhere for his Shock Treatment. I heard the longest they can keep him in Kirkland was 30 days thats true right?
Old 03-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Donation Award 

No, they can keep him there until there is an opening for him. The average is 30 days but it can go beyond that.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:27 PM

Kahlan is absolutely correct. They kept my son there 51 days. However, after an inmate is there for 30 days, you can request a visit. (I did and was granted one.) It really helped the both of us.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Lexington is high cotton compared to Columbia or Charleston; I know as I've been to all of them as well as a few more.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:53 PM

hey scdc mom did your son have to send you a visitation paper? or did you just call and request one?
Old 04-29-2005, 08:47 AM

Hi!

I visited my son there right after he went to prison. That was about 6 years ago. I think that I had to call for an appointment but I'm not sure. I do remember that I was able to carry in my car key, drivers license and a roll of quarters it's probably $15 now since the amount has been increased at all prisons when just 1 person is visiting. We were put into a room with about 8 or 10 small tables (2 chairs per table I believe). They brought the inmates in all at one time and they came into the room and sat at the table with their visitors. The room was a little small and cramped. The visitors could get up and go into the regular visitation room to purchase snacks and drinks from machines for themselves and the inmates. I remember that the first visit my son drank like 5 or 6 sodas. They are usually very hungry for something good after being at Kirkland for 30 days.

I was able to hug and kiss my son hello and goodbye only. He was there for about 45 days. They wanted to send him to Lieber which is about 5 hours from my home and I had already put in a hardship transfer to McCormick for him so they held him until they had an open bed at McCormick.

Hope this has helped.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:04 AM

I just received some more questions from someone and thought I would post the answer(s) here so that it could benefit someone else in the near future. If any of this information is not correct (it has been awhile since my son was at Kirkland), please feel free to correct it. Thanks.

1. How long will Kirkland keep an inmate before shipping them out?

I believe they can keep them up to 45 days but most are gone within the first 30 days.

2. How long should my loved one be incarcerated before he can apply for a hardship transfer?

We got a letter from my father-in-law's doctor immediately stating that it would be unhealthy or dangerous for him to travel further than 50 miles. You can also get a hardship for someone over 65 and/or from a minister stating that it would be a severe hardship on a family to travel over a certain distance. You usually don't write a letter just get a letter from a doctor or get a copy of a driver's license (for an ederly immediate family member) along with a short letter stating why it is a hardship, or get your minister to write the letter. The inmate then gives it to his caseworker.

3. How do I go about getting on my inmate's visitation list?

The inmate is given visitation applications when they are requested. He then mails them home. We have to complete the application and send it to central visitation in Charleston. (HINT Always keep a copy of the application as they seem to take forever or at least several weeks to approve sometimes. They are also known for losing them. If you application is lost, ask them for a fax number to send another copy.

4. Finally, remember that R & E is the worst pretty much. Once the inmate gets to the facility that they are assigned to, it will get better. NOT good but better.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:37 PM

well i do know for a fact that they can hold someone longer than 45 days, Donald has been waiting to get moved for 56days so far.

for anyone else with a loved one in kirkland waiting to go to Shock Treatment they move inmates to shock every 2 wednesdays (the next move is May 11th)
Old 06-10-2005, 04:37 PM

Default When is "spend" day at Kirkland R&E?

We sent a money order today and I figured since that would take a week or so for my son-in-law to get, I just sent him $20 through J-Pay. I don't know what his needs will be when he first gets in. Does anyone know when spend days would be? Thanks!
Old 06-11-2005, 06:52 PM

Inmates do not get to go to the "canteen" during their first several weeks in R & E to my knowledge. If he is a regular inmate at Kirkland, spend days vary from week to week.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:52 PM

i know the inmates cant go to the canteen at all while there going through r&e, donald had to have someone get him his stuff. and they let him do that. i think that the guy that got donald his stuff could go every two days or so. but im not to sure.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:42 PM
"Always & Forever"

Question Info For Loved Ones At Kirkland in South Carolina

I AM POSTING THIS INFO SO MAYBE SOMEBODY WILL NOT HAVE TO MAKE AS MANY CALLS AS I DID. MY HUSBAND WAS SENT TO KIRKLAND, COLUMBIA, SC AND THIS IS MY FIRST TIME DOWN THIS ROCKY ROAD SO HOPE THIS HELPS..
HE HAS BEEN THERE SINCE 06-02-05 AND I HAVE GOTTEN 4 LETTERS FROM HIM TO DATE....THEY GIVE EACH INMATE 4 ENVELOPES A MONTH BUT THEY MUST ASK FOR THEM. ALSO THEY MUST SUBMIT A TELEPHONE PRIV. LIST OF THE PEOPLE THEY WANT TO CALL AND THEN A FORM SCDC FORM 2-3 MUST BE SENT TO THE FAMILY MEMBERS WITHIN NINTY (90) DAYS FOR PERM TELEPHONE PRIV.. HERE WE GO AGAIN THEY MUST ASK FOR THESE FORMS. THEY MUST ALSO ASK FOR A VISITORS FORM SCDC FORM 19-127 AND SEND THIS TO FAMILY MEMBERS TO FILL OUT AND RETURN TO THE ADDRESS THAT IS PROVIDED. IF THEY HAVE MEDICAL PROBLEMS BE SURE TO GET THE RECORDS YOUSELF AND SEND THEM TO INMATES RECORD DIVISION AS THE COUNTY JAIL DO NOT SEND ANYTHING WITH THEM. ALSO IF THEY HAVE SERVED TIME FOR CRIMES WHILE IN COUNTY JAIL GO TO YOUR COURTHOUSE AND GET COPIES OF THAT AND SEND TO INMATES RECORDS DIVISION. FAX # 803-896-2750. IT TOOK ME UNTILL TODAY TO FIGURE ALL THIS OUT ON MY OWN SO I WANTED TO HELP SOMEBODY WHO DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE AS I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO . MY HUSBAND CHOSE NOT TO HIRE AN ATTORNEY DUE TO BEING GUILTY OF HIS PAROLE VIOLATION AND 3 OTHER CRIMES PETIT LARCENCY ,DUI AND SIMPLE POSSESSION OF MARJ. SO WHEN KIRKLAND SAID HE STILL HAS WARRENTS PENDING IN FLORENCE I GOT BUSY AND STARTED MAKING PHONE CALLS SO WHEN HE IS RELEASED THIS WILL NOT SHOW UP AS PENDING WARRENTS..I TRULY HOPE ALL OF THIS HELPS SOMEONE WHO IS AT THEIR WITS ENDS AND NOT KNOWING WHAT TO DO.
IF I HAVE POSTED IN TH WRONG THREAD PLEASE MOVE IT SO THIS INFO CAN BE READ BY SOMEBODY WHO FEELS LIKE PULLING THEIR HAIR OUT...BY THE WAY MY HUSBAND WAS GIVEN PERMISSION TO CALL ME AT 6:00 PM DUE TO ME NOT BEING HOME WHEN THEY ARE ALLOWED TO CALL IN THE DAYTIME,AGAIN TEHY MUST ASK.......LOVE AND PRAYERS TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE FEELING THE WAY I AHVE FOR THE PAST 20 DAYS. IF I CAN HELP ANYONE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME OR POST HERE I WLL GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH YOU AS I CHECK IN HERE EVERY DAY....THIS ALSO MIGHT HELP IN OTHER STATES TOO!!!! SHEILA
Old 06-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Trusting God 4 all things

thanks so much for the info sheila,God bless!
Old 07-02-2005, 01:30 AM

Oh, thank you so much, Joey's wife. My son was sent to Kirkland 6/29. I wrote down notes and I'll send Joshua a letter telling him what forms to ask for. I have afew questions.

#1 - When you say get medical records are you saying I should go to our physicians office and get his medical records or I should go to the county jail and ask for a copy of the records where the doctor saw him there?

#2 - I'm real confused about this time served thing. Joshua was in county for almost 5 months but only 1 week after his guilty plea. Does he get credit for the whole 5 months or just for the 1 week? Do you remember which office you asked for at the courthouse? I'm sure I'd seem pretty unsmart going up to someone and asking "where do I get a form for time served in the county jail"? Then again, that is what I want to know. hehehe

#3 - The fax number you gave is for Inmate Records Division. Do I fax both the time served form from the county and the medical records at the same time and to the same place?

I'm sorry to have so many questions but everything about this is new to me. Thank you so much for sharing your information and helping those of us coming after you.

Sherrie (Josh's Mom)
Old 07-02-2005, 02:26 AM
"Always & Forever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsmom221
Oh, thank you so much, Joey's wife. My son was sent to Kirkland 6/29. I wrote down notes and I'll send Joshua a letter telling him what forms to ask for. I have afew questions.

#1 - When you say get medical records are you saying I should go to our physicians office and get his medical records or I should go to the county jail and ask for a copy of the records where the doctor saw him there?

#2 - I'm real confused about this time served thing. Joshua was in county for almost 5 months but only 1 week after his guilty plea. Does he get credit for the whole 5 months or just for the 1 week? Do you remember which office you asked for at the courthouse? I'm sure I'd seem pretty unsmart going up to someone and asking "where do I get a form for time served in the county jail"? Then again, that is what I want to know. hehehe

#3 - The fax number you gave is for Inmate Records Division. Do I fax both the time served form from the county and the medical records at the same time and to the same place?

I'm sorry to have so many questions but everything about this is new to me. Thank you so much for sharing your information and helping those of us coming after you.

Sherrie (Josh's Mom)
o.k. here is what you do...call the office of clerk of court, and give them your sons id# and if he has served time for any of his crimes call the city office, county, have them fax you a copy of time served if the judge gave him time served while he was in county jail. The county jail will not sent this to kirkland so we (loved ones must take action) then fax all that to inmates div at Kirkland...The time they serve in jail will go forward on the sentence but that will take time,(my husband's isn't showing up yet).The city court faxed mine for me and faxed me a copy so keep all copies of everything you get. Have you M.D. fax his medical records if he has any medical needs..then be ready to repeat all of this again when he is transfered. joey callled me tonight and he was transfered to McCormick Correctional and he's a Level 2 mcCormick is level 3 so be ready for anything. They did not forward any of the info I faxed. This is new to me too so just keep copies of everything....You will also have to fill out another visitation form for the next prison they send him too..Who knows wehn I will get to see Joey...This is a crazy system we have. non-violent inmates are in Level 3 prisons...I can't believe it!!! Hope this helps some.....Sheila
Old 07-26-2005, 01:29 AM

Boy, I am glad I decided to surf around the listings. I missed this. Thank you, Sheila. I did go to the detention center at Lexington. They told me that Josh's money and his medical records went with him to Kirkland. Josh wrote that the doctors at Kirkland did have his medical records so I guess that went ok. I'm wondering if I need the letter about time served. The judge did order him credit for time served and the SCDC webpage says his sentence started February 20th which isn't correct. He was arrested on Feb. 15th, so I don't know where the 20th comes from. I have to call the clerk of court tomorrow to ask yet again about getting a transcript of the court appearance so I'll put down to ask if I need a letter from them about the time served thing. Thank you so much, Sheila for helping me. There is so much to do and learn. Now the kid has me researching PCR. I wonder if it will ever end.
Sherrie
Old 07-27-2005, 05:32 PM
"Always & Forever"

Keep Checcking His Profile To See If They Change His Start Time! I CHECK Joey's And Its Still Not Right After 4 Months...maybe They Will Get It Changed,Josh Needs To Keep Asking Also Once He Gets Moved To Where He Is Going To Serve His Time... By The Way It Never Ends....Joey Always Has Something For Me To Look Up For Him.mostly Songs,he's Singing In The Choir At Mccormick...he Has A Beautiful Voice If I Do Say So Myself Haha Sheila

Last edited by joey's wife; 07-27-2005 at 05:34 PM..
Old 07-27-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Joey's Beautiful Voice

I wish I could sing even 1 note. Sometimes I forget there are other people in the house and I'm taking a shower and I let myself go. Before long someone is banging on the door screamming for me to shut the ---- up! Completely rude, if you ask me. Though I do have to admit that my voice and a frog are not to far apart. I'm happy for Joey, though. Singing can be such a stress reliever. I think that's why I like to drive by myself. I can spin down the interstate, crank up the volume on the radio and sing to my hearts content. And nobody tells me to shut up. Wouldn't it be wonderful to go for a visit and hear the choir perform and there would be Joey, singing like a bird?

I'll keep after Josh to stay on top of the time served thing. I don't know if 5 days makes much difference. Then again, I'd imagine 5 minutes would matter to someone going through it. I think Josh should be leaving Kirkland soon. Friday he will be there 30 days. That's the hard part. Knowing he's going to be moved and not knowing where. Knowing they won't forward mail but not wanting to not write because I don't want him to feel I didn't care enough to write. Since they didn't get mail out for 2 weeks I assume we won't get approved for a visit. I just got the paperwork and returned it last week. I hope a visit comes soon though. I guess I assumed when the 30 days was over we could just drive out there and see him. But, we have to wait to be told we can visit, right? In other words, Kirkland won't let us visit just because the 30 days are up. Do we have to wait for the paperwork to go through? Do you know approx. how long that takes? Oh, do you know if moving him messes up visitation? Will he have to wait another 30 days to see us or are we waiting on that all important approval notification and it won't matter where he's at? Well, I guess if he gets into trouble we wouldn't be able to see him but if he doesn't get into trouble about how long does it take?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions. I guess I'm like all of us and wish I had never had to learn how to manuever around DOC. I've still got some anger at my son about that but I'm trying to move on and not cry over spilled milk.

Thank you, Shiela for being such an encourager and inspiration to me. I would be lost without the support and love shown to me by so many people on PTO.

God bless you,
Sherrie
Old 07-28-2005, 05:11 PM
"Always & Forever"

Joey was moved on a Thurs and they let him call me that morning before he left and then I called McCormick and they told me I was approved so it didn't take long for the paperwork to be approved so by the time they move him you should be able to visit. call Kirkland and check on it. they were very nice to me the 2 times I called them but when they move him be sure to call and check onit too. No more paperwork to fill out. The one you sent is all you will have to do. I was so thankful for that. Joey bugs them about his time served but they still haven't changed it on his profile yet. Joey and I both sing. we sing together too. When I visit he will sing me a new song he has learned. We have a singing machine but I don't sing anymore. It just sits in my office. Its not fun without him. He has told me to go out and sing but I just don't want to.....hope the info has made you feel better. tell Josh to try and call when they transfer him.. Maybe he will go to McCormick and we will meet! Has he finished with all the tests and medical yet? If so it won't be long untill he is transfered. Joey was out of there in about 28 days...Keep your chin up and I will keep praying for you and your family.....Sheila
Old 07-28-2005, 09:05 PM

I will tell Josh to request that he be allowed to call. He didn't call today. I guess there are alot of people who need to use the phones. Tomorrow he will be at Kirkland 30 days. I think he's been through the testing. He said something about being classified this week.

That would be awesome to actually meet some of the wonderful people who have helped me so much. And sis, Joey is right. Having a beautiful voice is a blessing and a talent.

Well, as I wrote this I got a call from Josh. He has been sent to Evans in Bennettsville. Where the heck is Bennettsville?!! He's really upset. This is a level 3 institution and he's level MI2, whatever that means. 2 1/2 hours from Columbia. I don't get it. Everyone seems to have such a long way to visit. They should turn it over to us and let us place the inmates - we'd trade and get them closer to their families. Yeah, right! Well, I guess I'd better go see what I can learn about Evans. I gotta pray hard about this one.

Sherrie
Old 07-29-2005, 05:40 AM
"Always & Forever"

Sherrie,

They are sending them where they have beds. Joey is a level 2 also but was sent to McCormick which is a level 3 so I know he is upset so was Joey and me for that matter. He can request a 2 man cell...They are allowed to fill out paper work to that effect. Joey has requested to be moved out of the cell he is in due to his roommate smoking. I told him he could get a worse roommate but he says the guys smokes all the time and he can't stand it. My prayers are with you as this will be hard on Josh. Evans has alot of lockdowns..Don't want to alarm you but its bad there.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:07 PM

Default New 2 Everything! Husband @ Kirkland! Help?!?

Hi! I'm New To All Of This. I Don't Understand Parole, Straight Sentence, Etc. Means!! Anything.....everything!!! My Husband Is @ Kirkland. He's Been Through The 30 Days. His Classification In Ma-1 Or M1-a. What Is That? He Was Moved To The Yard Because They Are Waiting On A Charge To Clear In The System. Will He Have To Stay Ther Till That's Done? I'm Getting The Info To Send Them That It Has Been Cleared. Will He Move After That Or Will They Still Have To Wait On The Computer? He's Been In For Six Months, I Haven't Seen Him In A Month & A 1/2. I Haven't Been Able To Touch Him Any Of The Time That He Was @ J. Reuben In Conway. They Are Still Processing My Visitation Form & Our 16 Month Olds! What's The Hold Up? Can Someone Please Just Help Me Understand What's Going On???? I Have Never Dealth With Any Of This Before.