Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of South Carolina.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Donation Award 

Default Manning Correctional Institution (Level 1-B)

Manning Correctional Institution(Level 1-B)
Raymond Reed, Warden
502 Beckman Drive
Columbia, SC 29203
803-935-6000 or 803-935-7248

Web page:
http://www.doc.sc.gov/InstitutionPages/Manning.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Kahlan For This Useful Post:
vilma (05-03-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2005, 07:20 AM

Default does anyone have a love one at Manning Correctional Institution, Columbia SC?

hello, i was wondering if anyone has a love one that in manning correctional in columbia sc,i have a nephew ,more like a son ,i raised him since he was 10.hes got 8 years for domestic violence his first time and never been in trouble before.i dont think he got a fair trial,maybe i'am wrong,what he done was wrong too,i dont up hold what he did,but everyone makes mistakes.he's paying for it now.he's really a great person and theres one resson for what he done.he's tured it over to god. sorry so long. angie8645
Old 02-23-2005, 10:50 AM

Hello, I have a friend (well more than a friend it is long story, but it is a true love story) at manning. I am new to PTO so I could use some help learning the ropes. I am much like you in that my friend has turned his life over to God and I am so thankful for that. I just sent him a bible with his name on it. I don't think he has got it yet, but I can not wait until he does. I wish you luck in dealing with this. Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie8645
hello, i was wondering if anyone has a love one that in manning correctional in columbia sc,i have a nephew ,more like a son ,i raised him since he was 10.hes got 8 years for domestic violence his first time and never been in trouble before.i dont think he got a fair trial,maybe i'am wrong,what he done was wrong too,i dont up hold what he did,but everyone makes mistakes.he's paying for it now.he's really a great person and theres one resson for what he done.he's tured it over to god. sorry so long. angie8645

Old 10-22-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie8645
Yes. I have a son at Manning Correctional. He has been there for a long time, almost 8 years. I live in Ohio. Where do you live?
Old 10-22-2005, 01:54 PM

Red face Yes. I have a love one at Manning Correctional Institution

My son has been at Manning for about 7-8 years. I've lost track of time so I am not sure exactly how long. It has been a hard experience doing time with my son, but God continues to carry me and my family. He is there all alone because we live in ohio.

Where do you live?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:27 AM

When Jamie was at Chester he had a freind who ended up getting in trouble there and got sent to Manning. From what I hear it depends on which part of Manning you are sent to. One part is bad and the other isn't so bad. I haven't heard a lot from him, but if you want to have your nephew look him up while he's there his name is Terry White. He's a good guy. I'm sure he would help your nephew if he needed anything.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Brandon's Boo

Default Does anyone have a loved one at Manning Correctional Institution?

My boo is serving time at manning and I want to know if anyone has any information that they could give me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:25 AM

My son is at Manning. You can PM me with specific questions if you'd like. Josh has only been there afew months so I don't know a lot about it.
Sherrie
Old 06-08-2006, 09:28 AM

PS. I don't mean to seem ignorant but well, I guess I am. What's a "boo"? I see that on some of the logo's and I figure it has to be a term of endearment but I was wondering exactly what it is.
Sherrie
Old 07-05-2006, 11:40 AM

Default Info abt Manning C.I. in Columbia

I'm new to PTO and would like as much information, good and/or bad abt
Manning in Columbia South Carolina. My fiance recently transferred to this 1B facility and it sounds like something out of the dark ages. Open Wards w/100 men within 2 feet of each other, no air conditioning, no privacy in shower or toilet. He came from a level 2 camp and said it was better than this one. Please, I'm anxious to know all about that place. This site appears to have a lot of information and guidance available to those of us that have one thing in common...we love an inmate...Look forward to hearing from someone soon. Thanks to all..ever1

Last edited by ever1; 07-05-2006 at 11:41 AM..
Old 11-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Rachel

I really appreciate this site. My brother just got transferred to Manning also for Domestic Violence. Which to be honest with you i did not feel like he deserved. But that is another story in itself. I really feel for everyone that has a loved one in the prison system. It really does help to have people know that you are going through and know exacely how you are feeling. Thanks again to everyone for letting me vent. It can be really depressing at times
Old 03-08-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Girls (and/or Guys), please give me the scoop on Manning....

Any and everything...visiting, etc. Feel free to post here or pm me. Need it right away - please. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:11 AM

Hey barky, I cannot tell you about visiting and the like however, Max has a friend that has been there for close to 2 years now. I talk to him every couple of weeks and have yet to hear him complain about the place. I know that's pretty basic but I take it as a good sign. Kim
Old 03-09-2007, 06:00 AM

Me too! Thanks!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:16 AM

Barky, just was thinking isn't your son-in-law coming out of Wateree? If that's the case Manning is heaven in comparison. kim
Old 03-09-2007, 05:52 PM

Yeap, he came from Wateree and definitely thinks Manning is a lot, lot better. I just wondered about visiting and stuff....like if we can get in the parking lot early and what-have-you. Guess we'll find out this weekend!
Old 03-11-2007, 07:37 AM

OK - Answering a part of my own inquiry here and excuse the length - I just keep remembering things. We were absolutely amazed at the difference between here and Wateree.

At Wateree, we would get there early and wait at the Church where you turn in because you weren't allowed on their premises until 15 till. At Manning, we were actually allowed on their premises, and further, allowed to wait in line! Wow! That in itself is really different. Group by group you walk in through an automated like gate and into the guard shack. One guard takes the SCDC number and examines your drivers license. The other guard checks your money and beats your shoes together and sticks his hands in your coat pocket (after you give him your coat) to make sure you aren't trying to sneak in something. He then stamps your left hand with some sort of infra-red thing that you cannot see. He will then say "walk-thru" and you walk a little distance into, I believe, three different automated like gates a little ways into the visitation room.

The two guards (male) sit behind a desk like thing (or near it). Male guards - imagine that - I don't think Wateree staffed theirs with anything but female guards (not criticizing - just observing). They have three restrooms (one for male visitors, one for female visitors and one for inmates). When you need to go there, you don't even have to ask the guard for the key! One of the guards will tell you where to sit and you just wait for your guy to come in. The whole process was very quick.

When count time came about 9:00, a guard looked around the room and counted the guys, not saying anything or disturbing your visit. I am understanding that at the formal count (in the afternoon), it is not done that way, but I guess I'll find out next weekend.

I told one of the guards that we were new and weren't sure how they did things, and was it okay if we left the visitation room and went outside to sit at the picnic tables. My understanding from him (it was a little loud in there), was that yes, you could, but only if you smoke. We left the ciggies at home, but will take them next time. I think that's what he said - but I could have misunderstood.

Guards were polite and courteous that we encountered.

Oh yes, there is no line in front of the snack and soda machines, the inmates can get close enough to examine what is in them. Then, like Wateree, of course the visitor would put the money in.

We were told by one of the guards, as we were leaving, that next time, the wife/girlfriend should sit in the front of the inmate. It is not done that way at Wateree - as long as *someone* sits in front of him, it is okay there. That part doesn't matter. It just keeps some visitors from being too touchy (and worse). We truly didn't know and the guard didn't realize that my daughter was the wife until the hug goodbye. That is not an unreasonable request.

They don't try to end visit time early. You are told when 5 till comes that there is 5 minutes left of visit. When you leave, your walk back through the gates and into the guard shack. The guard has you run your left hand back through a machine so that he can see the stamp that was placed there earlier.

My SIL told me that when some of the guys saw him "cooking" in the microwave (mixing various items to make a good meal), they stook around watching while he narrarated. I think he was taught by some old-timers at Wateree. I bet some of the other guys think he came from a Level 3 and had been there for years and years with the way he does things and his level of caution.

Neat to observe also a couple of other things. The maintenance worker inmate that we saw behind the gates was wearing his headphones. A big no-no from where my SIL came from. Three inmate workers waited near us (behind the gates) waiting for the guard to take them in his van (to work I presume). In the visitation room, my SIL was amazed that some of the guys were allowed to wear their coats and toboggans in there.
Isweoriswenot (07-07-2008)
Old 03-12-2007, 04:44 AM

Barky, I'm pleased for you. the "meal" your sil was mentioning is called a Set Up. Gee has Max been locked up too long that I would even know that?! The other thing you may hear is that the inmates complain about things that your sil is happy to have. Max noticed it when he transfered to Campbell. He has told some that they wouldn't complain if they had been anywere other than a level 1 facility. Anyway just wanted to pass on how pleased I am that something good has come your way. Kim
Old 03-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Barky,
Non-smokers can sit outside. I have a hearing loss and the noise level inside is unbelievable. We sit outside whether it's cold, raining, 100 degrees or whatever comes our way. I do smoke but if I didn't we'd still sit outside because of the noise. I only sit inside if my husband visits also because with his diabetes he takes a chill easy. BUT, you have to decide inside or out when you check in - there is no changing. If you are inside you can walk outside for fresh air - you just can't sit at the tables.

I'm glad you had a nice visit. I'm sure I'll see you sometime. My Josh does not particularly care for visits so I only go about 1 time a month and just about always in the afternoon.

Sherrie
Old 05-08-2007, 12:46 PM
*we're havin' a lil boy*

Default MANNING CORRECTIONAL - help me?!

Hey everyone! Okay I finally Got the hang of visitations and all at Ridgeland and now they're movin' my fiancee to a level 1B. We're hopin' he gets sent to Manning in Columbia or somewhere closer to home than a 3 hours drive. Sooo... Can anyone PLEASE give me some info on Manning or another 1B place like what the visitations are like and the living conditions and all that? I really appreciate it! THANKS!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:36 AM

Cool manning correctional institution is not really bad at all

[quote=Judy Hines]My son has been at Manning for about 7-8 years. I've lost track of time so I am not sure exactly how long. It has been a hard experience doing time with my son, but God continues to carry me and my family. He is there all alone because we live in ohio.

Where do you live? Hello
Old 01-11-2008, 12:40 AM

Default charleston,south carolina

Hello, I here to tell you a lil' about Manning Correctional Institution. I was incarcerated at Manning, and, I want to tell you that your son/nephew doesn't have to woory about anyone hurting him, because, it's not like the type of camp that houses lifers/or death row inmates. I from Charleston, S.C. and I did 5 yrs. for a drug conviction.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:28 AM

lowcountry, you're absolutely right. Thanks for chiming in. GENERALLY at a minimum security prison, there aren't the degree of problems that exist in a higher level security yard.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 PM

Yes, Hello; I had commented on the matter about Manning. Manning isn't really rough;(as some people believe) Manning isn't really rough, it's just a frustration institution. I too been to Manning on unrelated charges, so, I can pretty much explain how it is. This place consist of open wards, except for up on the hill; they offer lil' military barracks-like dorms. That way they are classified as A unit and B unit. I from Charleston, S.C. and, I haven't had any problem at Manning since I've entered they. I can say, I honestly don't believe that anyone could get raped there, but, nevertheless; it's so far what I didn't know, you know? But, anyone wit' more questions, contact me at ladydallendale@aol.com
Old 03-08-2008, 05:59 PM

Default Anyone quite understand why Manning was on lockdown today (Saturday, 3/8)?

At first I understood it to be due to their power going out (Where were the generators?). Then the power went back on and I understood that "Headquarters" said "no visitation today." Must have been the wind.