Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of South Carolina.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,442 Posts
Default Serving time in the county instead of L1s

With the closure of some pre-release centers and Level 1 facilities, I believe anyone sentence to less than 5 years (depending on the conditions of sentencing) may do all of their time in their local county detention centers. A few people I know have had their loved ones transferred from L1s to the county detention center to complete their sentences. I haven't been able to confirmed this with the department of corrections but it looks like this is may happen in the future to reduce the population of short-timers...
Old 03-24-2015, 11:29 AM

Default Finishing at County

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
With the closure of some pre-release centers and Level 1 facilities, I believe anyone sentence to less than 5 years (depending on the conditions of sentencing) may do all of their time in their local county detention centers. A few people I know have had their loved ones transferred from L1s to the county detention center to complete their sentences. I haven't been able to confirmed this with the department of corrections but it looks like this is may happen in the future to reduce the population of short-timers...
My son just reached his halfway mark. Has 3 years to go. He was told he's now eligible for a county. He's heard some are way better than others. Anybody know which counties are best?? He's very comfortable where he is so the thought of him moving scares me. But he's excited for the possibility.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:49 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailSC View Post
My son just reached his halfway mark. Has 3 years to go. He was told he's now eligible for a county. He's heard some are way better than others. Anybody know which counties are best?? He's very comfortable where he is so the thought of him moving scares me. But he's excited for the possibility.

Good news about the halfway mark and possible transfer. He would be transferred to the county where he was charged. Best wishes to your family.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:11 AM

County jail seem more restrictive that scdc, at least my county. Only video visitation, never going outside. only good thing -it would be close!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 AM
icj357
Donation Award 

Hi all, is this just in "The Carolinas"? My son would like to finish his in county here in Florida, but on the news the other day they were saying that there is such over crowding and it would be closer to me also. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2015, 05:33 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by icj357 View Post
Hi all, is this just in "The Carolinas"? My son would like to finish his in county here in Florida, but on the news the other day they were saying that there is such over crowding and it would be closer to me also. Thanks!
This just started in SC because they've closed a few minimum security facilities do to lack of offenders being housed there.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:34 PM

It's always the county where he is as charged? Because he said they post open positions at counties across SC and they can apply for the position.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
It's always the county where he is as charged? Because he said they post open positions at counties across SC and they can apply for the position.
Most people choose the one closest to home. It may be best to go with the one you're familiar with because every county policies are different (visitation, accounts, etc).

It must be a great feeling to know he's so close to coming home
Old 04-03-2015, 11:17 AM

Gotcha! Yeah i'm not real sure of what the rules are at the county closest to us. I wish there was someone I could call to find out what the privileges of being a trustee actually are. It's hard to go by just what they hear.

I'm not there quite yet about feeling like he's almost home. We still have three years and one month. But in the scheme of things I'm very thankful. I never thought I or we would get this far.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:08 PM

You can call Diane Hingle at 803-896-8551...she should be able to help you
Old 12-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheebz03 View Post
You can call Diane Hingle at 803-896-8551...she should be able to help you
What's this about?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:48 PM

It was in response to GailSC

Quote:
Gotcha! Yeah i'm not real sure of what the rules are at the county closest to us. I wish there was someone I could call to find out what the privileges of being a trustee actually are. It's hard to go by just what they hear.

I'm not there quite yet about feeling like he's almost home. We still have three years and one month. But in the scheme of things I'm very thankful. I never thought I or we would get this far.