Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

FLDOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Florida Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the FLDOC system should be posted here.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:44 PM

Default What happens at RMC

My son is being sentenced on 12/2/19, he has been in county 2 mths. When he is sent to RMC what is the process? Will we still be able to talk daily? How soon can I visit? He is my only son, and I am scared to death for him. I need some help, and guidance on this nightmare ride. Help please, and thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancesH View Post
If you do not know where he is being sent, my best advice is to check the Florida DOC Inmate Search page every day. Eventually (they say within 48 hours), you will be able to see where he has been sent. It is one of the reception centers, it may be a temporary stop-over (although my son, for some reason, has been classified to serve his entire term at a reception center). Once you find out where he is, look up that facility and set up phone (probably Securus) and canteen account (probaby JPay). Also, you may want to mail him a letter (with a stamped return envelope) as it sometime takes time for the DOC to process him and allow him to call. As most of us here know, this process is not the easiest to navigate and not everyone experiences the same thing. Just hold on tight and breath!!!
Thank you for you information.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 PM
beautifully flawed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom64 View Post
My son is being sentenced on 12/2/19, he has been in county 2 mths. When he is sent to RMC what is the process? Will we still be able to talk daily? How soon can I visit? He is my only son, and I am scared to death for him. I need some help, and guidance on this nightmare ride. Help please, and thank you.
once he gets there from county he will start the orientation process, he wont be able to call until his phone list is approved (he will need you to send a copy of your phone bill to show its a contract or monthly billed line not prepaid so it can be approved) then once that's approved you will need to have money on your securus account linked to your phone number so he can call (its way cheaper this way) he will be at RMC 4-6 weeks during this orientation if not longer if he has medical needs then he will be sent to his home prison. you can set up jpay so once he gets his kiosk pin he can get and send you emails, you can also send him money through jpay for his canteen. if hes sent to a private prison (GEO facility) these services may change so be prepared to watch vinelink and the fdoc website as he gets transferred to his home prison.. roughly a week or 2 after they sentence him they will send him to reception.. if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me. I went through this process from start to finish with my ex boyfriend lol

heres to the new me, she deserves better than what the old me has allowed..

The Following User Says Thank You to MPsQueen For This Useful Post:
GingerM (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:23 PM

My BF is at Central Florida reception center in Orlando how do I send him clothes? Is there a website? I need help because he needs it asap
Old 11-14-2019, 08:29 PM
beautifully flawed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme79 View Post
My BF is at Central Florida reception center in Orlando how do I send him clothes? Is there a website? I need help because he needs it asap
aside from geo facilities from my understanding they get issued their clothes at the state ran prisons, so if he needs stuff he has to put in a request for it. none of the state ran facilities get packages sent in at the moment.

GingerM (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 09:00 AM

Default Landed in Graceville Work Camp Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
It's been my experience that squeaking wheels become problematic for him and for you. I would try to avoid it except in the most egregious of situations.

Bookmarking info on PTO: we don't have an internal means of bookmarking. Back when I needed to bookmark info, I bookmarked a thread through my browser and created a bookmark folder called "PTO" that I stored all the bookmarks in. I still use bookmarks through my browser, but now it's for slightly different reasons.

Your brother is going to have to advocate for himself from the inside. He will need to send kytes and ask if someone has received the paperwork (after a reasonable amount of time has passed). He can also ask to meet with his counselor to discuss a transfer.

Depending on his disabilities, they may have decided it was better to put him in a medical unit rather than a Vet's unit (Oregon did this with my Dad). If he needs more medical support than a Vet's unit can provide, then he's better off in a medical unit.

Ultimately, DOC can put him wherever they want. It's possible that there is no bed space where you/he wants to go, it's also possible that DOC thinks he needs more medical than he could get there, and it's possible that they didn't consider his Vet status or that his Vet status won't give him any leeway until he's got some amount of time under his belt to show he's following the rules.

I wish I could give you more specific information. I also wish I had a crystal ball and could tell you what will happen to him.

Welcome to PTO. You've found a soft place to land.
My brother has ended up in Graceville Work Camp. I found info on his updated inmate site online. Not sure what the difference is with private facilities as opposed to others. I will take your advice on the squeaky wheel idea. I would rather not cause any waves. I hope they have Jpay at this facility especially since I just deposited money into his account there. My brother has no family or friends in Florida to visit him. It will be a sad and long lonely sentence for him. We will try to visit as often as possible but the distance from Florida is quite far.
The Following User Says Thank You to Artsyann For This Useful Post:
GingerM (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 02:07 AM
beautifully flawed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsyann View Post
My brother has ended up in Graceville Work Camp. I found info on his updated inmate site online. Not sure what the difference is with private facilities as opposed to others. I will take your advice on the squeaky wheel idea. I would rather not cause any waves. I hope they have Jpay at this facility especially since I just deposited money into his account there. My brother has no family or friends in Florida to visit him. It will be a sad and long lonely sentence for him. We will try to visit as often as possible but the distance from Florida is quite far.
They do have jpay. a friend of mines husband is there and she communicates with him through jpay often.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,539 Times in 3,336 Posts

Quote:
We will try to visit as often as possible but the distance from Florida is quite far.
Which will make your visits all the more amazing. Good for you for visiting at all!
Old 11-18-2019, 10:51 AM
beautifully flawed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom64 View Post
forgot to add.. at RMC you cant visit. its not his home prison hes just there for reception, you have to wait until he gets to his home prison then fill out a visitor form and wait for them to approve it (takes 30 days roughly).

GingerM (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsQueen View Post
forgot to add.. at RMC you cant visit. its not his home prison hes just there for reception, you have to wait until he gets to his home prison then fill out a visitor form and wait for them to approve it (takes 30 days roughly).
This is not always the case. Some inmates are placed at the reception centers for the duration of their sentence. My son, who has a 3 year sentence, is still at the reception center as a permanent placement. So, for your son, get the JPay and Securus accounts, mail him a copy of your telephone bill so that you can be added to his call list, and then wait to see what happens after classification. As stated, it could take 30 or so days.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancesH For This Useful Post:
MPsQueen (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 02:47 AM
beautifully flawed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancesH View Post
This is not always the case. Some inmates are placed at the reception centers for the duration of their sentence. My son, who has a 3 year sentence, is still at the reception center as a permanent placement. So, for your son, get the JPay and Securus accounts, mail him a copy of your telephone bill so that you can be added to his call list, and then wait to see what happens after classification. As stated, it could take 30 or so days.
I was told they let them know at orientation when given their "outdate" they tell them if they are staying or going and also give them a white uniform not the blues they wear normally if they are staying put lol