Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Wisconsin that do not fit into any other Wisconsin sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:47 PM

Default County jail contracts for DOC inmates?

My son is currently at Dodge for A & E. He was told that he most likely will be sent to one of the county jails in Wisconsin that contract with the DOC. This is instead of being sent to a minimum correctional institution/facility. He said that anyone with under 15 months and who are minimum security with no health needs, no psychological issues, and not expected to participate in any type of treatment program is being considered. Has anyone else had this happen? I know the county jail he came out of does not participate, but if the contract jail is the same, he said he'd rather go to medium security.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2017, 08:00 AM

I was told they had discontinued this a few years back. But its not unlikely that it was implemented again. In 2009 when i went to dodge, i then went to Washara county for 4 months before going to Kettle Moraine. It served a few purposes at the time. 1 was to control the population in the DOC system. 2 was to create an incentive for these tiny communities to build larger more sophisticated jails. In about 2011 intake populations dipped and the need for the county support was not needed. Fast forward and the counties complained that they built these fancy shit hole jails to get the per diem from the state per head. And now they were cut of from the cash faucet. I read a while back about this, but didnt follow closely enough to the outcome. If they are doing it again, DOC will say its a response to over crowding, but i know its a financial win for the counties as well.
Not that you asked for the history lesson. But short answer, He doesnt get a choice. And the county facilities are way way worse to spend your time than at a Medium. You are kept in a "pod". often have a roommate who may be a local hobo, or may be a serial killer on trial. Its dirty. You have to wear the county clothes. Commissary is very limited and way more expensive. You cannot have your own electronics. Phone calls are way overpriced. Visitation is almost always through glass or on a video screen. And the food is really bad. Even by prison standards.
The Following User Says Thank You to cm76 For This Useful Post:
yourself (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 11:19 AM

they are doing a lot of contract county right now. Where my husband is at their are 20 men alone. But many counties are doing contract again due to overcrowding.