Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the New York Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:26 AM

Default NY & GTL for all county and state facilities phone changes

FYI: NYS updated their contracts so everything is now under GTL (both county and state facilities). VAC is no longer handling the state facilities. I verified with a rep that the rates are the same; but just be forewarned that in the process of the update, your phone account may have been affected. Mine was showing a block with my carrier. I totally found out by accident when I tried to put money on my account and two of my credit cards and my debit card were all denied....they aren't taking payments while their system is updating. It took me over an hour to get it fixed between my carrier and GTL. Not a fun process. So I thought I'd save the rest of you the headache of trying to figure out what is going on. Good luck with it.

PS. The phone number you are used to seeing your LO call from will also change. Good thing instinct told me to pick up the phone this morning; otherwise I would have totally missed him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dez For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (11-04-2015), thatwiz (11-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2015, 03:08 PM

Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,684 Posts

Yeah I missed his call when it came from a different number. Thanks for the info
Old 11-04-2015, 03:45 PM

I talked to 3 different reps at GTL And no one has any idea about the block, but a friend of mine told me the same thing. Is it with my carrier Verizon or on GTLs end? Help??
Old 11-04-2015, 04:02 PM

Somehow when they did this update, the VAC 800 number for the pre-payment was added to the blocked list of the carriers. Call your carrier (Verizon, Sprint, etc) and have them look at your account to see if the number is showing on your blocked list. The should be looking for 800-483-8314.

The correct customer service number that we need to use in the future when dealing wit GTL is 877-650-4249. I spoke to a rep by the Miguel at GTL who helped me through this.

It took me over an hour of dealing with Sprint and GTL to figure out what the hell was going on until I finally got put through to Miguel. He was an angel (very unlike most of the GTL reps). I hope this saves you all the headache that I dealt with earlier today.