Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:33 PM

Cool Newly dating an Iowa prisoner

My boyfriend and I have known each other for over 23 yrs but just a few months ago became "romantically" involved. We hadn't seen each other since his trial over 18 yrs ago until last month. I was nervous about seeing him there (prison) plus it's a bit intimidating if you haven't been before. I have a few questions that google seems not to know & any help is appreciated. Why is it that a prisoner has to be paroled from minimum security prison? So why does the parole board meet to review cases of maximum security prisoners? My boyfriend was denied parole during a review in September and required to complete a cognitive thinking class, anyone know how long that lasts?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2014, 07:22 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,036 Times in 16,159 Posts

Hello & welcome to PTO! I'm sorry I'm just now seeing your thread I can't answer your questions for Iowa, and I'm terribly sorry your b/f was denied parole. How long of a flop did he get?

I'm not sure how long Cognitive Thinking lasts in Iowa, but if Iowa is anything like KY it'l take more than a minute to even get in the class

I'm glad you've found us and are exploring the site

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 12-20-2014, 08:36 AM

Sorry I don't know what a flop is lol. He was placed in the class at the end of October so he's been at it awhile and said he should be done beginning to mid January. He was also placed on level 2 around the same time in October and I was told that he stays on levels 90 days. I believe but not sure but he has to complete both of those things to get transferred to min security and then meet the board. He only has 2 yrs left and he's been considered "short term and on the fast track" no idea what those terms mean but I've had family tell me they will hurry to parole so they can make sure he does OK in society before his complete release. I hope that's correct but time just drags on it seems and problems in life seem to worse now then before so wanting him home becomes extremely hard sometimes. I try not to go crazy thinking all the time and try staying busy but he's always on my mind and so I do feel crazy at times. Thanks for responding to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to STS4U For This Useful Post:
patchouli (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 09:20 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,036 Times in 16,159 Posts

A "flop" is the length of time given by Parole Board before the inmate can see the Board again when an inmate is denied parole. Hypothetical EX: My Mr saw the Board and was denied....they gave him an 18 month flop = he'll see the board again when that 18 months is up.

Yeah, this life is a Roller Coaster of Emotions and isn't for everyone. However, what I have found is that while it doesn't get any easier, we become stronger. Get into a routine, stay busy, and the time will go by quicker and you won't feel as "crazy" My Mr would tell me to "Focus" when I hit one of those low points

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 12-20-2014, 09:50 AM

Ok the next review date is scheduled for a year so next Sept but he was told after he completes the class and moves up to the next level then can transfer and go back in front of the board. I agree it is definitely a roller coaster and this life and commitment to a relationship isn't for everyone, but I enjoy a challenge in life and the waiting is for sure a challenge. I do go to the gym as I can and it makes me feel good and that he will be amazed when he sees me and it also helps to relieve stress. He hasn't sent me a letter since October and said he sent a couple but were sent back for lack of signature or too heavy. I write him at least once a week so it sucks I don't get any. I have worried if he changed his mind or has someone else, those crazy thoughts, but I have seen how he looks at me and believe him when he says he waited 23 yrs for me and won't mess anything up. He has told me a lot that having to grow up in prison that your word is all you got and he will always mean what he says and say what he means. We both know that is all the relationship consists of is communication, trust and loyalty so you have to believe those words. That is definitely the challenge in this but I also know we have a connection that some couples may never have and by the time we are able to physically be together (presence) we will be phenomenal. I know the wait is worth it even though it seems hard and drags on, he makes me happy and smile from far away so I know it will be so much more close together.
The Following User Says Thank You to STS4U For This Useful Post:
patchouli (12-20-2014)