Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 08-21-2018, 06:40 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,694 Times in 15,326 Posts

My hubs own experience is vastly different than CAdreamings.
He was however on an sny yard. Most on those yards have a sex offense on record.

Since they seem to be getting away from sny yards, Im not sure how things will play out.

If you read the links I provided above they may help (should you need them)

My hubs own experience was not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination however he was not hurt, assaulted or anything. He kept to himself pretty much. Stayed out of the day room where they have tv and did ok.
He did 5.75 yrs.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Rc3000 (08-27-2018), Sarianna (08-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxie'smom View Post
I work for CPS. Let me know if you need any help navigating the system. Goodluck with everything.
I would like some help if the offer still stands.Would you be available to talk sometime soon?
Old 08-27-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
My hubs own experience is vastly different than CAdreamings.
He was however on an sny yard. Most on those yards have a sex offense on record.

Since they seem to be getting away from sny yards, Im not sure how things will play out.

If you read the links I provided above they may help (should you need them)

My hubs own experience was not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination however he was not hurt, assaulted or anything. He kept to himself pretty much. Stayed out of the day room where they have tv and did ok.
He did 5.75 yrs.
Thanks. That is somewhat my concern, the fact that they are phasing out those yards. I can only imagine the problems that will arise. I will pray that God gives me the wisdom to navigate this situation. We are a week away from my initial hearing and we still have heard nothing about the charges the DA will be filing. By the time we have the hearing 2 months will have gone by. I have my first visitation with my daughter on this Wednesday. CPS seemed to want to prohibit me from seeing her at all but the judge disagreed and ordered makeup visits. Which visits may never happen depending on what happens this week. I heard they can raise my bail. I cannot afford anymore expenses at this point after hiring lawyers and getting fired from my job.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rc3000 For This Useful Post:
Juleslove (06-25-2019), Sarianna (08-27-2018), sidewalker (08-30-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 06:42 AM

Donation Award 

That was a thing they did in my hub's case as well. Bail initially set at 150K but after the first hearing it went up to 300K.
There was no way I could come up with 10% of that.
At least the time in county counted toward his sentence.

Like I said earlier, those links may help.
Basically dont ask anyone what they are in for, and if you are asked....you can say something to the effect of...felonious stupidity same as you.Or Breaking the law.
Dont gamble, dont borrow and dont loan.

Here is to hoping you get to visit with your kid(s)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Rc3000 (06-25-2019)
Old 08-30-2018, 01:01 PM

Ok. Thanks alot. God bless you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rc3000 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (09-01-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 03:40 PM

I'm feeling both frustration and anxiety today. Just received the discovery and it brought back a lot of horrible feelings. Right now I have been told to go to counseling appointed by CPS. However it is detrimental for me to make any admissions even to this counselor who is supposed to be "confidential". My next criminal hearing is in November but they are racing to a decision in the juvenile dependency court. I don't want to lose my girls but I know me saying anything right now will pretty much take any plea deal off of the table in the criminal negotiations. SMH anyone have any advice?
Old 09-16-2018, 05:26 PM

As a CO, when it comes to being a SO on the inside, the best advice is keep your mouth shut and your head down. Be careful of new people trying to friend you really quick, unless it's other SO. SO seem to hang out together.

Like others said don't lie, cheat, steal or even borrow from others in prison. Don't overspend at the commissary or you might be a target. The first days and weeks will be scary, but you will get used to it and learn the "prison rules"

Most CO's have no love for SO, but usually good staff will not target you because of your crime. Your counselors and case managers are there to help you, use them and take advantage of every program offered you.

Your military history should not be a problem. There are many other veterans on the inside too. Being an MP should not be a problem ether, it might not even come up, unless you bring it up. It's regular civilian cops who have a hard time in prison. You will be viewed as a SO first not a former MP.

Yes I will not sugar coat it. Being a SO in prison is rough. But many have done it and survived with little or no problems, depending on what prison they landed at.

Last edited by Bikerguy; 09-16-2018 at 05:38 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
Free At Last 5 (09-25-2018), Rc3000 (09-25-2018), safran (09-16-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 06:31 AM

Donation Award 

Rc, I can certainly understand your fear of talking with someone from cps.
And you are right, they are not bound by any sort of confidentiality and anything could be used against you.
Has your attny weighed in on this? Is there a way to go to a counselor of your choice instead?

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (09-17-2018), Rc3000 (06-25-2019), Sarianna (09-18-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Rc, I can certainly understand your fear of talking with someone from cps.
And you are right, they are not bound by any sort of confidentiality and anything could be used against you.
Has your attny weighed in on this? Is there a way to go to a counselor of your choice instead?
Yes. He advised me that I should only speak about thing in the report and not offer anything else. Because I called a friend and told him what I have done, it is viewed somewhat favorably. He said I can speak about it from that standpoint but should not further incriminate myself by agreeing to any of the false accusations. We had a hearing yesterday where they pretty much let us know my girls will not go home to their mother for at least 6 months and they are not offering me any reunification services for my youngest. It hurt but I have to count my blessings at this point.
Sarianna (09-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 AM

Update: I just got word from my lawyer that the DA offered to drop the more serious charge, if I plead no contest to a felony. I will get 120 days in county, 3 years probation, and of course the registry. He fought back and asked for no time plus a misdemeanor. She didn't bite. Told him the offer will only be on the table for the next 24 hours. I told him to take it. Much better than what I was expecting. I'm going to court this morning and that will be the plea deal. I am hoping they allow me to self surrender so that I can get some things in order. Thanks for all of your help guys. I do have one final question. Are you eligible for half time on a sentence like this? If you know please let me know. Thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rc3000 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-25-2019), priceam (06-26-2019), Sarianna (06-25-2019), sidewalker (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:46 AM

Donation Award 

Im sorry I do NOT know about the half time.
Back when my hub was in he was sentenced to 6 yrs at 85%
(you would be surprised at the time he was given due to the circumstances of his crime. It still gets me so pissed off)
As to self surrender I'd doubt it but Im not certain. Plan on NOT coming out.
120 days in county is quite doable. It wont be fun but its not going to be so bad. At least you will be close by your wife.

Probation will be no picnic either. Not sure if they will stick you on gps or not. They might so prepare.
Your larger problem will be where you can live while on probation. but we can address that at a later date.

the registry has not been that much of an issue with my hub and us.

While our journey was no picnic, in hindsight well......Im just glad its all over.
Finally off parole, and he just has to register.

As I said, plan to not return. Dont bring much with you.
Have your wife join pto as well. She can benefit from info and can pass it along.
Here: (be sure to scroll way down the page to see the whole forum)
http://prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,951 Times in 2,248 Posts

Given that it is a felony that will require registry, anticipate that you will not get an opportunity to self-surrender, particularly if a strike is involved (if it were a non-strike with no registry and probation were involved, there might be a different set of circumstances.) Square as much away before court tomorrow as you can. Best-case, maybe the DA agrees to put off final disposition on the plea and sentencing for one more court date to allow you some time to get your affairs in order, but I'm doubting self-surrender will be an option. (Note that I could be wrong....the justice system never fails to shock me.)

Depending on where your crime falls in the penal code, if it's considered a violent strike anticipate serving 80%. If it is not, anticipate serving 50%. If it's a non-violent strike with prior strikes, anticipate 67%. Same as a prison sentence post-Prop 57. Felonies do not benefit nearly as much from "early kick" status as misdemeanors do, if at all, particularly once you get past 90 days sentencing.

It is also possible that there may be a suspended prison sentence involved. When you take your plea bargain, make sure you understand every element as well as potential consequences for violating probation (I'm doubting probation is not involved because of the nature of the deal.)

Good luck.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by missingdee; 06-25-2019 at 03:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Given that it is a felony that will require registry, anticipate that you will not get an opportunity to self-surrender, particularly if a strike is involved (if it were a non-strike with no registry and probation were involved, there might be a different set of circumstances.) Square as much away before court tomorrow as you can. Best-case, maybe the DA agrees to put off final disposition on the plea and sentencing for one more court date to allow you some time to get your affairs in order, but I'm doubting self-surrender will be an option. (Note that I could be wrong....the justice system never fails to shock me.)

Depending on where your crime falls in the penal code, if it's considered a violent strike anticipate serving 80%. If it is not, anticipate serving 50%. If it's a non-violent strike with prior strikes, anticipate 67%. Same as a prison sentence post-Prop 57. Felonies do not benefit nearly as much from "early kick" status as misdemeanors do, if at all, particularly once you get past 90 days sentencing.

It is also possible that there may be a suspended prison sentence involved. When you take your plea bargain, make sure you understand every element as well as potential consequences for violating probation (I'm doubting probation is not involved because of the nature of the deal.)

Good luck.

-Eric
So I just got out of court and I am glad to report the DA and judge agreed to allow me 30 days to surrender. I got 120 on a non violent felony which makes me eligible for early release, and 3 year probation . Registry of course. Thanks for your help guys. I'm glad this platform exists.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rc3000 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-26-2019), missingdee (06-25-2019), sidewalker (06-26-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 05:00 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

A bit surprising, but definitely good news.

On the out-date...you're probably not going to know for sure what percentage they actually want you to serve until you go in. Best way to find out is, the day after you self-surrender, have your wife or a trusted friend/family member check the inmate locator and see what it lists as your estimated release date. It's hard to know for absolute sure when they would allow release before you go in, but this is the best way to get a sense of how long they plan to hold you.

From there, if there are options for early release/alternate custody, seek them out.

Glad to hear things went well in court today as far as getting a self-surrender date (apologies, I mis-read and thought you still had a day.) 30 days is a good amount of time to get some things in order, and you won't be in long. Some judges and DAs can be jerks and sticklers about the sentencing. The fact these two dealt with you reasonably is a good sign.

Please keep us posted.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-25-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
A bit surprising, but definitely good news.

On the out-date...you're probably not going to know for sure what percentage they actually want you to serve until you go in. Best way to find out is, the day after you self-surrender, have your wife or a trusted friend/family member check the inmate locator and see what it lists as your estimated release date. It's hard to know for absolute sure when they would allow release before you go in, but this is the best way to get a sense of how long they plan to hold you.

From there, if there are options for early release/alternate custody, seek them out.

Glad to hear things went well in court today as far as getting a self-surrender date (apologies, I mis-read and thought you still had a day.) 30 days is a good amount of time to get some things in order, and you won't be in long. Some judges and DAs can be jerks and sticklers about the sentencing. The fact these two dealt with you reasonably is a good sign.

Please keep us posted.

-Eric
Yes for sure brother. I am so grateful they showed mercy. I will certainly have my wife look me up after I surrender. Thanks for all of the nuggets again. You guys are gold. I didn't know anything about the terminology "alternate custody". My mind is already towards finding housing and a job when I'm out. I know that is going to be an obstacle, but I know from reading these threads it's not an insurmountable one. God bless you guys.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rc3000 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-26-2019), missingdee (06-26-2019), Sarianna (06-26-2019), sidewalker (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:50 AM

How did everything go with CPS? Was your wife able to get your kiddos back?
Old 06-26-2019, 08:54 AM

A friend who was charged with a felony was able to self surrender, and he got 50% due to AB109. He went to prison and will be on PRCS (posts release community supervision) rather than parole. Will you do time in jail or prison? If jail, there is a big possibility of 50%.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbfan View Post
A friend who was charged with a felony was able to self surrender, and he got 50% due to AB109. He went to prison and will be on PRCS (posts release community supervision) rather than parole. Will you do time in jail or prison? If jail, there is a big possibility of 50%.

On sentences that short, generally probation is involved and jail time is served. While I can't comment to his specific conviction offense (he did not share it, nor does he have to,) to my knowledge, most offenses resulting in a felony conviction that require sex offender registry (if not all) do not qualify for AB 109. Though OP or someone else with more knowledge in that area may have an insight into that that I don't...

-Eric

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-26-2019, 07:46 PM

My friend does have a felony SO charge and is getting 50% due to AB109.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtbfan For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 11:14 PM

Thanked 1,601 Times in 807 Posts

Considering where you were a year ago this is fantastic news. Consider it a gift. While it is still prison time, 120 days is only 4 months. Since you have the 30 days to SS, think of it like this. You will be home by Thanksgiving! Your life is not over. You can now start deal with this phase and move on. I too wonder what has happened with your kids and if even your wife wound up having to take any kind of plea as you mentioned she might have earlier been charged with something.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
missingdee (06-27-2019), Rc3000 (06-29-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
My friend does have a felony SO charge and is getting 50% due to AB109.

Under which penal code?

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-29-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceam View Post
How did everything go with CPS? Was your wife able to get your kiddos back?
Yes! Thank God. It was hell and she had to play their game but the girls went back home about a week ago! That will make my time so much easier. Thanks for asking!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rc3000 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (06-30-2019), sidewalker (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Yes, I will be doing time in county jail. I have been hearing worse case 50% best case out in a week. I'm prepping my mind for the whole sentence either if those would be awesome!
sidewalker (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Considering where you were a year ago this is fantastic news. Consider it a gift. While it is still prison time, 120 days is only 4 months. Since you have the 30 days to SS, think of it like this. You will be home by Thanksgiving! Your life is not over. You can now start deal with this phase and move on. I too wonder what has happened with your kids and if even your wife wound up having to take any kind of plea as you mentioned she might have earlier been charged with something.
Yes I'm counting it all joy. My wife has stuck by me through it all. She didn't have to take a plea. The DA rejected the charges. Unfortunately she was pressured into filing for divorce by CPS before the kids could go back. That is nothing but paper as far as we are concerned. They tried everything to turn our kids against us but they didn't know how much of a daddy's girl the youngest is. They changed alot due to the foster parents not giving a darn about them and letting them do and say whatever they want. Of course they did not discipline them at all so they are having to relearn alot now that they are back home. It will be a long journey but the responsibility to mend my family lies with me and I'm not shying away from it one bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rc3000 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (06-30-2019), sidewalker (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 04:53 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,071 Times in 12,747 Posts

RC: You did well on the incarceration portion of your sentence, but there are still huge traps for you to deal with. The California sex offender registry is one of the worst anywhere, including lifetime GPS ankle bracelets for some. The felony will always be there too, with all of the restrictions that classification carries.

My advice is to be certain that you are aware of EVERYTHING the SO registry laws require, and follow all of the residency/registration/
re-registration/park-school restrictions, etc. religiously. Any minor issue can result in a return to prison, and often a brand new felony sex charge. You got something of a break this time, but most courts more than make up for it if there is ever a second appearance at a criminal sentencing.