Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss California prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:52 PM

Default Calls from the uk

Hello all,
I am new to this experience and I will introduce myself soon but indo have a question if anyone can help me.
I am in the UK and the time has come to finally speak to my PP.Has anyone made calls from their UK cellphone with either GTL or Google Voice?I am having trouble with how to get a US number to set up Google Voice.Any advice would be fab.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 10,950 Times in 4,555 Posts

Hi there google voice is not allowed in most prisons its considered call forwarding.If detected then it could get your penpal into trouble.Would your mobile phone provider give you a local number close to the prison? Some providers do on request even though you are in the UK.

There are third party providers who will sell you a local number but its important to check that the numbers are allowed.

You will need to set up an account on GTL and fund it so that your friend can call you. California does not charge a fee to top up your account and the calls if local are reasonably priced.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:41 PM

I have vonage UK. Can get a local number and worked fine for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to orchibu For This Useful Post:
maytayah (06-25-2019)