Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Wisconsin that do not fit into any other Wisconsin sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Cruel and inhumane abuse going on at Wisc. secure correctional facility

I need to know who to contact about the treatment of inmates at the supermax in wisconsin called Wisconsin Secure Correctional Facility. My son wrote a disturbing letter to his sister about demons in his cell and in his head, and stopped eating march 11....my daughter called to find out what was going on with him and talked to the social worker. He was very rude. She was concerned for his mental health. That night during cell check they looked into my sons cell and he had the blanket over his head because the lights are on 24/7. They burst into his cell yank the cover off spray him with pepper spray and proceed to beat him as he was stripped naked. All the while he was crying and asking them to stop long enough to tell him what he did wrong. No one noticed untouched trays for 7 days but the minute a family member called concerned they abuse him? they then stuck him in the observation cell. naked with no blanket, pillow nothing. it is quite cold in those cells in wisconsin this time of year especially on cement. the only reason we found this out is he was allowed one phone call to his sister only if he ate. She is allowed to visit him tomorrow via tv but he will be in a straight jacket. is this the prisons way of saying dont call us with your concerns or we'll beat your loved one. This prison was involved in a law suit back in 2001 over abuse reported by the inmates and the Federal Judge barbara crabb ruled in favor of the inmates saying they were using inhumane and cruel punishment. she also put into effect any inmate exibiting signs of mental illness while in or being transferred to Boscobel would be transferred. Do all prisons treat inmates that are suspected suicide risks like what they did to my boy.....I need to know where to start on this. I have tried writing Governor Doyle, with no response...go figure....does anyone know who I should be contacting...I am afraid if the media knew they would just abuse my child more...we are afraid to say anything now for fear of what they will do to him...we are terrified....he told us if we didnt find a lawyer or someone to protect his rights (and the rights of other inmates there) that he would for sure die in there....please someone anyone help
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2005, 06:53 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

((((hugs)))) I wish I knew who to tell you to contact... Have you tried posting about this in the Wisconsin forum? There must be folks from Wisconsin who will know who to contact.... Good luck and I hope he can be transferred out of there or the garbage stops soon....

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 03-20-2005, 01:50 AM
banned - 88reasons

I would suggest an ACLU lawyer with a class action suit in mind, at the very least
Old 03-20-2005, 01:53 AM

I agree with Deb and fraulein. This is so awful and inhumane. Good luck.
You are doing it not just for your son but for all those vulnerable in similar situations.
I wish I could be more helpful.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:24 AM

thanks for the information as I will contact an ALCU lawyer right away....and you all can rest assured that even if my son gets transferred, I will not stop there until every last prison like that is closed down or redone to prevent this from ever happening again. I want my son to talk to a lawyer and perhaps file battery charges against the guards. Hey you can not do that kind of stuff on the outside without going to jail....just because you work in a prison doesnt mean you get to do it in there and get away with it......it is against the law....not all staff at these correctional facilities are demons but a good majority of them are.....thanks for all the support....hugs back to all....I will keep everyone up dated on progress and how my son looked today when my daughter visits him.....I imagine his eyes will still be swollen from the effects of pepper spray....
Old 04-02-2005, 06:25 AM

That bad what happened to your son ((HUGS)) Hope all works out for you both, stick to your guns and don't let these idiots get away with it.

Also what is an 'ACLU' lawyer?? please
Old 04-03-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Aclu

I got a letter from the governor from wisc yesterday...you could tell it was not computer generated but a "at loss for words" letter. He said he received my concerns about my sons treatment and would forwarded it to DOC...what a joke....I will be writing him back but will have to really think about how I can get it across to him to take a stand in this...hopefully this does not put more of a spot light on my son, but then they have already abused him terribly, so it would not surprise me...the only thing that is saving my son now is we hired a really good lawyer for him, one that has pushed into legislation (and succeeded) the privacy (no taping) of lawyers and inmates talking, (confidentiality) so the inmates can speak freely about abuse without fear of retaliation of guards and staff. so chalk one up for our side....someone told me they actually let certain inmates outside this weekend which means they must of finally got their exercise cages done or at least some of them.....will keep you all posted as time goes on.....right now the lawyer is working on reopening his case as the sentence did not fit his crime and also getting him out of Boscobel.....fingers crossed... Also ACLU is an organization for human rights and quite involved in abuse at this supermax and part of the lawsuit against them back in 2001...Pop ACLU into the search bar and it will give you more of an explanation.....I wrote them too.....

Last edited by kia5858; 04-03-2005 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-07-2005, 11:43 PM

Contact Amnesty International... they had a part in freeing juveniles and mentally ill from WSTP back in 2000 (i think). Also, Tommy Thompson was the one who helped those at WSTP... I know he is no longer the governonr... but maybe try contacting him also. Stay Strong & my prayers are with all of those stuck at WSTP.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:35 PM
rest in peace MrsD. . . .

sorry I didn't get this earlier.... I live in WI and am familiar somewhat with how to work different offices in to get results... and you guys need results with this supermax facility!!! that is terrible!!!

Office of Detention Facilities
Mr. Marty Ordinans, Director. (608) 240-5052 The Department of Corrections has statutory responsibility for the regulation and oversight of all local detention facilities, including county jails, houses of correction, secure juvenile detention centers, unlocked Huber facilities, work camps and municipal lockups. Through the Office of Detention Facilities, the Department establishes reasonable standards for the design, construction, repair, maintenance, operation and management of these facilities. Regionally located staff conduct annual inspections of each facility, provide technical assistance to local jurisdictions, training to jail staff, and coordinate a variety of efforts to assist sheriffs, police chiefs and other local officials in the operation and management of their facilities. The Office also investigates complaints, deaths, suicides, and other unusual incidents which occur in local detention facilities.

that is where I would start....good luck! get on them- they are wrong for that sort of treatment. no one ever should be subjected to that!

"... if commission of the crime of murder by individual man is a sin, the perpetration of the same act by society cannot be called a virtue"

Old 05-09-2005, 08:26 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,027 Times in 7,142 Posts

ACLU and Amnesty International were the first two options that leapt to mind.
I am so very sorry for what you and your family are enduring, I don't pray often, but, for whatever its worth, today I am praying for a resolution to your nightmare.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:12 PM

My son is doing time in a wisconsin prison,and let me tell you they are all horrible. He is in a medium facility and it is horrible. I have been contacting the DOC in Madison every week to let them know. Do they do anything NO, so my next quest is to take it outside to the media. I have just gotten a name of a reporter for wisconsin and I am contacting him to see if there is anything that he can do for these guys in wisconsin, other than that I like I said every week call the DOC in Madison just to let them know I am out here and will continue my quest for what is right and what is wrong,and my son is trying to encourgage the inmates in there to have their families do the same, think about it if we all do this someone will have to answer to allthe wrongs, tellthe guys inside to document everything, tell their families what is going on. And you can e mail me, like I said I have found a reporter and am working with him.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:50 PM

OMG!!!! I am from Wisconsin and use to work as a C.O. in the system there, and they don't treat people that way in any other prison except Boscobel. I don't have the information here in front of me, but since you have internet access, go to the Wisconsin DOC website. It tells you who you need to call. The head of Corrections. I have called them before over various things with Carl. There has been a lot of bad publicity up there lately. My mom said that there was another article about that place just the other day in the paper.

Go to the DOC website and call them first thing Monday morning. After you get off of the phone with them, call Amnesty International. They already have a lawsuit against the prison.

I will pray for you and for your son. Good luck and persevere.

Lisa
Old 05-25-2005, 01:57 AM

We have suicide/strip cells also, inmates are only placed in there if they are suicidal. They are given a sort of thick smock to wear. If we gave them anything else like a blanket, mattress or even a pair of tighty whitey underwear and they hanged themselves we would be blamed/sued for not taking steps to prevent them from killing themselves, we don't give them a blanket or underwear and we are labeled monsters and inhumane. We can't win.

We have a completely seperate facility within max for inmates with imbalances and disorders, they are handled very differently because what they see, hear and remember isn't reality, it's more like something out of a horror movie.
Who informed you of the "beating"? I'm not saying it didn't happen but you did start the post by saying that he imagines things, unless there is some evidence that you didn't mention it has to be looked at as an option. Again that is just an impartial view, I'm not taking the CO's side because I know there are a lot of bad apples out there.

I hope that everything works out for the best and he gets good care and treatment.
Keep the pressure on the Mental Health dept. of the prison.

Peace and long life.

NISL
Old 10-03-2017, 02:58 PM

What was the out come with your son?
Old 10-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,833 Times in 11,078 Posts

Khalilsmom - this thread was started in 2005, and the OP hasn't been back since then.