Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Texas prison & criminal justice system.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:02 PM

Default Senate Bill 55 and House Bill 1274

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about these two bills, or may have some knowledge as to how I can make contact with a reliable source that's knowledgeable about them. My husband falls under both bills where they clearly state if one has gone to prison as a minor upon seeing Parole, they the parole board must adhere to these bills if they apply to a particular individual.

I have written to a couple of writers that presented the information about these bills through Dallas Morning News, now I need someone that's more proficient about these bills, because I need their help. If you have any advise please let me know right away. Thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 04:45 AM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,833 Times in 11,078 Posts

mrscehouston - I've moved your post to make it it's own thread. Hopefully someone will see it this way.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:32 AM

Thanked 11,099 Times in 6,007 Posts

SB55 deals with the Employee Retirement System. I am guessing OP means SB556, which is the companion filing.

The House Bill has been referred to Calendars but with no action for almost two weeks. The Senate Bill was referred to Criminal Justice in February and has had no action since then.

The lack of action since the referral to Calendars suggests that it doesn't gain any further traction since the Session is very rapidly approaching Sine Die.

Legislative dates of interest are on this .pdf: http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/dates/dat...20interest.pdf

It should be added that this legislation, if passed, does not really do much more than add words to the book. It does not obligate the Board to vote favorably. It DOES close a problematic disconnect that has existed for many years between statute and Board Rule by changing from 'convicted of' to 'serving a sentence for' given that juveniles adjudicated delinquent and later transferred to TDCJ were never actually convicted of an offense.

Last edited by CenTexLyn; 05-17-2017 at 06:37 AM..
Old 05-17-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscehouston View Post
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about these two bills, or may have some knowledge as to how I can make contact with a reliable source that's knowledgeable about them. My husband falls under both bills where they clearly state if one has gone to prison as a minor upon seeing Parole, they the parole board must adhere to these bills if they apply to a particular individual.

I have written to a couple of writers that presented the information about these bills through Dallas Morning News, now I need someone that's more proficient about these bills, because I need their help. If you have any advise please let me know right away. Thanks
Senate Bill 556 and House Bill 1274