Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TENNESSEE > Tennessee Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Tennessee Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Tennessee Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:36 PM

Angry Franklin County Jail does not give inmates the books mailed to them

I did a lot of research before sending my best friend some books. I was able tk find multiple lists of rules and regulations that said I could mail books to Franklin County Jail as long as I did it in a specific way (using amazon, paperbacks, etc.) Then my friend called to say that the jail "thanked him" for his donation and put them on the cart. The cart in Franklin County Jail rarely makes an appearence, and with the overcrowding and stuff, I don't think he's ever going to see the books I sent.

While telling me this he said he was literally looking at a sign by the phones that listed books as something that he could receive. I called the jail asking why this happened and was told "that's just how we do books here." I'm not one to throw a fit or make a fuss, but I almost wish I was. All I could say to that was "Why?" and he said "I don't know." I said thank you and hung up...

This was months ago now but I thought I'd offer a warning to anyone in Franklin County, and I'd like to here if anyone has experienced something similar in other Tennessee jails, or anywhere. Is this a common or irregular practice?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,768 Times in 1,283 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk! I am not familiar with this facility or the procedures in TN but hopefully someone with more info will be able to comment....I personally haven't experienced this, my books to my LO in CA go to him...as I think it should be. Sounds strange