Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:01 PM

Thanked 1,997 Times in 788 Posts
Default Uber supported Fair Hiring but not any more

I was at the Dave's Killer Bread Summit in 2017. On the employer panel was Malcolm Glenn from Uber. He is the head of Uber's Global policy, Accessibility & Underserved. He was on a discussion panel with other employers that believed in Second Chance hiring. At that event he spoke in support of giving second chances for employment to those who have been involved in the criminal justice system. Here's a link to the video clip from the summit. He speaks about 1:16 into the 3 minute video clip.

Now I see that Uber plainly states in an email they recently sent out that "every driver starts out with a background check". In fact, that's the title of their email. The email goes on to say that they are committed to safety. Here's what the email said about background.

Recurring driver screenings Before any driver gets behind the wheel, they undergo a review of their driving record and criminal history which includes local, state, and national records.
We proactively rerun driving and criminal history every year following a driver's initial check. We use technology that fetches new criminal offenses using several sources, and we're notified if an offense involving a driver is identified.

This email seems to indicate that they don't hire people with previous criminal history. That seems to be a real contrast to the attitude of "fair hiring" & second chances for employment that Malcolm Glenn promoted in 2017. I have urged several of my advocacy contacts to reach out to Malcolm Glenn & Uber to ask why the change in attitude.

I hope they can find a compromise that allows those who are trying to prove themselves be able to work. Having a blanket policy that appears to exclude people with a conviction eliminates a number of otherwise acceptable applicants. It's time to take steps to take action & put the Fair back in Fair Hiring.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Sealed for Freshness

That's not how I read it. I understand it as they are aware of any criminal history and get notified if something happens involving a driver. Many companies in this day and age run background checks. In my experience they are only looking for certain offenses. When I used to hire airport workers, (in some instances) theft was a disqualifying crime whereas a DUI was considered acceptable.
GaReform (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 09:05 AM

Thanked 1,997 Times in 788 Posts

That could be their intent. I just wish they made it a bit more clear but since the email was sent out to customers I guess they're trying to reassure them that their safety is a priority.
If I was a customer & read it, my take would be that every driver has passed a background check before being allowed to drive or continue to drive. My experience has been that the general public (for the most part) assumes a background check excludes someone with a criminal history because in most cases companies don't hire someone with a less than clean background. It should be a case by case evaluation.

Maybe I'm hypersensitive because my son had job offers rescinded after his background came into play. It wouldn't have affected his ability to do the jobs or make the workplace unsafe but no one wanted to deal with any negative feedback if people found out he was working there with a background.
I'm going to reach out to Malcom Glenn & ask him to please clarify this for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholeshabang View Post
That's not how I read it. I understand it as they are aware of any criminal history and get notified if something happens involving a driver. Many companies in this day and age run background checks. In my experience they are only looking for certain offenses. When I used to hire airport workers, (in some instances) theft was a disqualifying crime whereas a DUI was considered acceptable.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,178 Times in 8,185 Posts

I can only comment from a "what I've heard" perspective. A friend of mine in Portland posted an article that outlined a series of issues where drivers were accused of varying forms of harassment-- namely from women and the LGBT community. The response from the public was to push for more stringent background checks so that folks accused of DV and sexual misconduct would be known and not hired.