Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of New Jersey, including lockdowns.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:01 PM
He is home now

Question Questions about CRAF

Background on Travis:
EDUCATION: None
DISABILITIES: ADD, Bi-Polor, Cronic Migranes and an Addict
CRIME: Pleaded guilty to possession of 1/2 gram of heroin, possession of paraphernia, underage drinking and intent to distribute the heroin.
Sentence: 35 months to prison

Given his background I hope you guys are able to answer some of my questions.

Right now he is at CRAF. What is CRAF? All I know of it is; it is a reception place where all the inmates go to - to get place in the right falicity.

How do inmates get placed? Will his previous record of being in a mental hospital would have an effect on how and where he will be placed in prison?

Will he get treatment for his bi-polor? Before he got arressted he wasn't on any meds for his depression. He used to but stop cause he couldn't afford them. Will they start a new treanment plan for him?

I haven't heard from him yet. How long before I'll get a call from him?

Before he went to court he had been cutting himself on his arms; will CRAF send him to a mental hospital? Or do they take care of the inmates at that falicity?

How long does one stay at CRAF? I heard that they have inmates working on the farm while they stay at CRAF.

Jen
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Wishing you were here...
Donation Award 

Well...how long they stay at CRAF depends on the prison they are going to and the amount of beds open. I know that GYCF (yardville) has a TC program for drug addicts...it's got rehab programs and such. He could stay at CRAF for a few weeks to a month or 2...it all depends.
IDK when he went to CRAF...but they usually get their pin numbers to make phone calls with 1-3 weeks...it depends on how fast the prison moves.
As for what is CRAF...its basically a receptional building where inmates are housed until they have their "Home" prison. I know some inmates do their whole bid there or at Jones Farm (which I know nothing about). There is alot of info on CRAF...I think in the prison profile part.
And I don't know what the DOC will do about his mental health...I know they will give him his meds if he's on them...and they do also have therapist and psychologist. I am not sure where he would be sent..it depends on classifications!! I hope you find your answers!! Hugs
-Jackie
Old 08-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Wishing you were here...
Donation Award 

Once he gets to his home prison (if not in CRAF)...he will most likely meet with the psychologist...and they will put him on the meds he needs to be on. The state pays for them...which is a good thing. But make sure he talks to someone about his mental health problems...so he can get the help he needs!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 06:00 AM
Feeling Better Than Ever!

Kackle, hang in there for now. CRAF can surely be a pain in the a**! I remember when my boyfriend went in there around the holidays last year and it took them forever for him to be classified. I think it took so long because it was around that time of year but it can be a slow process and on some rare occasions a fast one. (((hugs)))
Old 09-01-2005, 06:15 PM
loved!

Thanked 1,148 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kackle
Background on Travis:
EDUCATION: None
DISABILITIES: ADD, Bi-Polor, Cronic Migranes and an Addict
CRIME: Pleaded guilty to possession of 1/2 gram of heroin, possession of paraphernia, underage drinking and intent to distribute the heroin.
Sentence: 35 months to prison

Given his background I hope you guys are able to answer some of my questions.

Right now he is at CRAF. What is CRAF? All I know of it is; it is a reception place where all the inmates go to - to get place in the right falicity.

How do inmates get placed? Will his previous record of being in a mental hospital would have an effect on how and where he will be placed in prison?

Will he get treatment for his bi-polor? Before he got arressted he wasn't on any meds for his depression. He used to but stop cause he couldn't afford them. Will they start a new treanment plan for him?

I haven't heard from him yet. How long before I'll get a call from him?

Before he went to court he had been cutting himself on his arms; will CRAF send him to a mental hospital? Or do they take care of the inmates at that falicity?

How long does one stay at CRAF? I heard that they have inmates working on the farm while they stay at CRAF.

Jen
hi kackle,

my hubby is at CRAF now waiting to go to Rahway. Craf is a reception and assignment prison, but it also becomes the permanent prison for some inmates. chris doesn't work on a farm, and CRAF is a "kitchen" prison. all inmates housed at CRAF MUST work in the kitchen. that helps take time off their prison sentence. as far as travis goes, he must make efforts to recieve help for his mental issues. you can speak to someone at CRAF concerning them, but because he's there only temporarily, the most they will be able to do is protect him security wise. he will get more help once he goes to his housing prison, or the prison he'll do most of his time at. like another poster said, the wait at CRAF can be a total pain in the a**. it can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 months. i am PRAYING that chris leaves within the average 3 month waiting period. you cannot have visits at CRAF to the reception inmates, only to the ones who are housed permanently at CRAF. the ones waiting to go to other prisons can't have visits travis more than likely WILL recieve meds for his conditions once he gets to his prison. they treat the inmates way better at state prisons than the county jails in nj. i hope this helps at least a little.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:45 PM

Kackle...hey....welcome...it looks like youve already gotten good info from the ladies! my experience with CRAF was not bad at all. My man was there for 2 weeks and was transferred to his current facility. I was not able to talk to him at all during those 2 weeks...but we were able to write...so maybe you should try writing a letter. just make sure you have his info on the envelope. and we are all here to keep you positive if you need it. we've all been through it. if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Old 09-12-2005, 04:11 AM
He is home now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschrisb
hi kackle,

my hubby is at CRAF now waiting to go to Rahway. Craf is a reception and assignment prison, but it also becomes the permanent prison for some inmates. chris doesn't work on a farm, and CRAF is a "kitchen" prison. all inmates housed at CRAF MUST work in the kitchen. that helps take time off their prison sentence. as far as travis goes, he must make efforts to recieve help for his mental issues. you can speak to someone at CRAF concerning them, but because he's there only temporarily, the most they will be able to do is protect him security wise. he will get more help once he goes to his housing prison, or the prison he'll do most of his time at. like another poster said, the wait at CRAF can be a total pain in the a**. it can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 months. i am PRAYING that chris leaves within the average 3 month waiting period. you cannot have visits at CRAF to the reception inmates, only to the ones who are housed permanently at CRAF. the ones waiting to go to other prisons can't have visits travis more than likely WILL recieve meds for his conditions once he gets to his prison. they treat the inmates way better at state prisons than the county jails in nj. i hope this helps at least a little.
Thanks for the info

I've been told about a week ago that he tried to commit suicide, not sure if he is still at CRAF, but what you said about not being medicated explains a whole lot about the situation. I still haven't heard from him yet and after learning what he did I might not hear from him for awhile

How do you know where Chris will be placed?

I'm hoping for Moutainview for Travis. Does he need to sign up for his placement?
Old 09-12-2005, 04:21 AM
Account Closed

not sure if he is still at CRAF

You can go to the NJDOC homepage and that will tell you where he is. Good luck and I hope you hear from him soon!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:37 AM
He is home now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhil
not sure if he is still at CRAF

You can go to the NJDOC homepage and that will tell you where he is. Good luck and I hope you hear from him soon!
Thanks

Jen
Old 09-12-2005, 06:40 AM
Feeling Better Than Ever!

Kackle, my goodness, so sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you and him. Hope all goes well. (((hugs))))
Old 09-12-2005, 03:40 PM

Kackle, sorry to hear that...but keep your head up!!!!!!!!!! and definitely take a look at the njdoc website....it will tell you where he is right now! good luck....and we're here to help you stay positive!!!

Old 09-17-2005, 11:31 PM
loved!

Thanked 1,148 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kackle
Thanks for the info

I've been told about a week ago that he tried to commit suicide, not sure if he is still at CRAF, but what you said about not being medicated explains a whole lot about the situation. I still haven't heard from him yet and after learning what he did I might not hear from him for awhile

How do you know where Chris will be placed?

I'm hoping for Moutainview for Travis. Does he need to sign up for his placement?
hi again and sorry to be so long in responding,

you may not hear from him as he is probably on security watch and is not able to send mail, either because he isn't physically and or mentally capable of doing it, or has no supplies to write. i learned that chris was going to rahway because each inmate is given a slip of their housing prison about a weekafter they see the assignment board. this board is a panel where the inmate can discuss what prison he would like to go to. travis should express his interest in going to mountainview. chris was supposed to be sent to southern nj...but he literally begged to be sent to rahway and it worked. so travis should really try to ask for placements at certain places. also, you should contact craf and speak to them about his specific needs. document everything and push for him to be taken care of. like chris' lawyer said, "a little support from family members goes a long way in the prison system." i myself am about to start raising h*** about the crazy long wait at CRAF...my hubby was put into lock because of a female officer with a slight crush on him...so i am having a real problem with my baby being locked down for 23 hours a day for the next 2 months. i could understand if he did something that warranted it...but just because someone is jealous of him? crazy. so when trenton hears from me...they'll probably do something drastic...like move him on along.

i hope that travis is ok...and he gets the help he needs. call up craf and check his location and status, see if you can write him, and ask how long is his wait. then see what you can do about getting his prison changed to mountainview, if it isnt already. best wishes!
Old 09-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Figlet

where he will be sent all depends on classifications at craf. you can call them if you need to 609 984 6000
Old 10-03-2005, 12:50 PM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

If you call CMS, 609-984-4102 and ask to speak to Dr. Woodward, they will be able to help you. You might also ask to speak to Debbie as Dr. Woodward is always busy. They oversee the medical staff in each prison. The medical director at CRAF is an ass and not helpful at all. I had it out with him because he is lazy and lies. I called CMS and voiced my frustration and they dealt with the issue. I also have a number for Dr. Annesette who is the CRAF medical director's big boss. I will dig it up and give it to you if they can't help, but Debbie is great. Tell her all of your concerns and she should help you.
Also, call classification @ CRAF-609-984-6000-#3, then #5 and speak to William. Tell him your situation and if you want him close to you, he can help accomplish that. He got my husband to Riverfront for me. He was supposed to go to NSP because its close to me, but I procesuted an inmate who is there and they didn't want him to try to hurt me, so William helped me out and got the next best thing-RFSP.
I probably shouldn't give direct names, but I think it's important to get your man the right help and these people can help. U will find they are wonderful people.
Lisa
Old 10-30-2005, 10:18 PM

I am new at this and my husband will be taken out of the county jail and taken to Trenton can someone let me know wat goes on during that time period there does it take long im very confused and it only makes me feel sadder not knowing anything he is 24 years old wat kind of prison will he be placed in? plz write back sum1