Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:38 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,353 Times in 11,852 Posts

My letter didn't arrive until I had been off probation for about a week, so try not to get stressed during any notification delays. For me, it was the absolutely best moment of the entire nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2018, 10:33 PM

When I get the letter is there anything special I should do with it?
My mom says to make a copy of it and keep the copy with me at all times.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:22 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

You can do that in case you have any future contact with the police. I filed mine at home and have never had any reason to use it.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:16 AM

Thanked 1,208 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBattleship View Post
When I get the letter is there anything special I should do with it?
My mom says to make a copy of it and keep the copy with me at all times.
Too bad it's not one of those documents that you can't burn and never have to think about ever again!! Of course, you can make a copy of it and burn it for posterity!!

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2018, 06:53 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,521 Times in 14,377 Posts

I dont think CA gives out any paperwork when you are off probation or parole.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-01-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 01:15 AM

I emailed my PO and asked if I would get in trouble if I was to drink after November 8th But before I get the letter and she said I would not get in any trouble. She said when I'm off, I'm off. And she said the letter should come a few days after I get off. I'm now down to 23 days left to go. I'm going nut's waiting to get off. The suspense is killing me, but also the anxiety and worry over making a mistake in my final few weeks. I can't wait to be done with this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustyBattleship For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-16-2018), Sarianna (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 02:53 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,197 Posts

Ah, being able to enjoy a few beers while watching Monday Night Football, without having to worry about being called in by your PO for a "pop whiz quiz" the next morning.

It feels so good being finally off-paper, my friend.

Believe me, it feels so good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-16-2018), Sarianna (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 11:35 AM

I have a question. You seem awfully anxious to have a drink. Why is that? You have stated that you have many health issues. Drinking is not going to help your health issues. In fact, far from it. Perhaps you need to look at the big picture, and figure out why drinking seems to be so important to you as it seems to be the #1 thing you have focused on in your posts in this thread. It is almost as you're counting the days that you are off of parole only so that you can have a drink!! That is very worrisome. Are you an alcoholic? Do you have previous drug or alcohol problems? Was rehab any part of your probation or sentence? If so, or if not, I strongly encourage you to go to some sort of counseling because it definitely sounds like this is something you are focusing on way too much when instead you should be focusing on moving forward and starting over, not how fast you can have a drink and if you will be tested before you get a piece of paper saying you are off of probation!

Also, question why you weren't even allowed to be able to drink in the first place. There must be a reason for it. When my husband comes home he is allowed to drink if he wants. He has no interest, so it's not an issue. But you should really just take a look at why it is so important to you. Also, if you don't drink, think of all the $ you will save!
Old 10-16-2018, 02:15 PM

This is very simple to answer. Because it is enjoyable. That's the same reason I want to smoke weed again too.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:16 PM

I feel like I'm turning 21 again.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:05 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Also, question why you weren't even allowed to be able to drink in the first place. There must be a reason for it. When my husband comes home he is allowed to drink if he wants.
In many states, alcohol prohibition is a standard condition of probation/parole. No matter what your crime.

Testing positive for ANY amount of alcohol in your system is an automatic violation in quite a few states, including here in Idaho.

Understandably, for those who like to drink recreationally and responsibly, such ridiculous conditions of supervision are one big reason to loathe probation/parole and to be very happy to finally be off-paper for good.

Last edited by Nickel Timer; 10-16-2018 at 03:09 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
In many states, alcohol prohibition is a standard condition of probation/parole. No matter what your crime.

Testing positive for ANY amount of alcohol in your system is an automatic violation in quite a few states, including here in Idaho.

Understandably, for those who like to drink recreationally and responsibly, such ridiculous conditions of supervision are one big reason to loathe probation/parole and to be very happy to finally be off-paper for good.
Yes, ridiculous indeed. I get it if someone has a history of DUIs or problems that they shouldn't be allowed to drink and agree it's a complete waste of time and resources for some of this nonsense. My husband is always telling me about the number of guys smoking tobacco in the bathroom in his dorm. Tobacco of course is contraband. His room is right across from the bathroom. The COs all know this is going on, but if you don't have the cigarette in your hand when they walk in, they can't do anything about it. Meanwhile, every morning there are a ton of ashes in the sinks. THe CO's have made comments about cleaning the sinks. My husband is worried about all the second hand smoke he is getting. What bugs me about all of this is that they know they're smoking. Everyone knows it. Cigarettes are completely legal outside of prison. Way more so than alcohol, since you can even smoke cigarettes and drive! Anyway, if these guys want to kill themselves smoking, let them. But instead, they have to do it in a bathroom and harm everyone else who doesn't smoke or want to be near it. Why can't they just give them an area to smoke outside, like other places in the "real" world do and let them buy cigarettes at commissary. To me, if they want to piss away their money that way, let them. It may also cut down on some of the other bullshit contraband that these guys are dealing in/with. If they really want to watch it more carefully, have it where you buy the cigarette and literally go smoke it that minute right in front of where you buy it from, in the smoking area. Anyway, I just had this discussion with him my last visit. They all know they're doing it, so just let them do it in the open, because you sure as hell will have them getting into less trouble where you can watch them, than have them doing other shit in the bathroom and hiding it. But again, more stupid crap going on.

As for this guy and the alcohol, fine that is legal, but now here he also mentions smoking the pot and that he can't wait to do that again and that is a federal crime, and so just itching to get right back in there. And again as I and others pointed out, he isn't health to begin with, so why put that poison in your body? I know, I know, one day in my lifetime that shit is going to be legal too. My son lives in California and I am well aware it is legalized there statewide for recreational use. I know at least 2 of my kids find it disgusting thank god, but I know I am just a stiff when it comes to that but again, as long as it's illegal just consider that and the repercussions. If you learned anything about prison and probation, I would think it's that you never want to end up in the hell hole of prison again. I know my husband who is getting out in January, never plans to go back. And, if he were told he couldn't have a drink ever again for the rest of his life. If that kept him out of prison. Dammit he would do it. Hell, if he were told he had to be celibate for the rest of his life..lol..he would be miserable, but if it kept him out of prison, by god, you can sure as hell bet he would make sure he did anything to not go back to that place!! I wish everyone felt the same.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:46 PM

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Yes, ridiculous indeed. I get it if someone has a history of DUIs or problems that they shouldn't be allowed to drink and agree it's a complete waste of time and resources for some of this nonsense. My husband is always telling me about the number of guys smoking tobacco in the bathroom in his dorm. Tobacco of course is contraband. His room is right across from the bathroom. The COs all know this is going on, but if you don't have the cigarette in your hand when they walk in, they can't do anything about it. Meanwhile, every morning there are a ton of ashes in the sinks. THe CO's have made comments about cleaning the sinks. My husband is worried about all the second hand smoke he is getting. What bugs me about all of this is that they know they're smoking. Everyone knows it. Cigarettes are completely legal outside of prison. Way more so than alcohol, since you can even smoke cigarettes and drive! Anyway, if these guys want to kill themselves smoking, let them. But instead, they have to do it in a bathroom and harm everyone else who doesn't smoke or want to be near it. Why can't they just give them an area to smoke outside, like other places in the "real" world do and let them buy cigarettes at commissary. To me, if they want to piss away their money that way, let them. It may also cut down on some of the other bullshit contraband that these guys are dealing in/with. If they really want to watch it more carefully, have it where you buy the cigarette and literally go smoke it that minute right in front of where you buy it from, in the smoking area. Anyway, I just had this discussion with him my last visit. They all know they're doing it, so just let them do it in the open, because you sure as hell will have them getting into less trouble where you can watch them, than have them doing other shit in the bathroom and hiding it. But again, more stupid crap going on.

As for this guy and the alcohol, fine that is legal, but now here he also mentions smoking the pot and that he can't wait to do that again and that is a federal crime, and so just itching to get right back in there. And again as I and others pointed out, he isn't health to begin with, so why put that poison in your body? I know, I know, one day in my lifetime that shit is going to be legal too. My son lives in California and I am well aware it is legalized there statewide for recreational use. I know at least 2 of my kids find it disgusting thank god, but I know I am just a stiff when it comes to that but again, as long as it's illegal just consider that and the repercussions. If you learned anything about prison and probation, I would think it's that you never want to end up in the hell hole of prison again. I know my husband who is getting out in January, never plans to go back. And, if he were told he couldn't have a drink ever again for the rest of his life. If that kept him out of prison. Dammit he would do it. Hell, if he were told he had to be celibate for the rest of his life..lol..he would be miserable, but if it kept him out of prison, by god, you can sure as hell bet he would make sure he did anything to not go back to that place!! I wish everyone felt the same.
Not to derail this thread, in NY they are allowed to smoke outside, buy many still sneak it in the dorms. They get tickets for that, etc. The whole dorm will get punished for one person (take away their microwave and toaster). It doesn't matter that it is allowed. Telling people they can't makes a lot want to do it anyway.

I get that the OP wants to participate in things he feels he should be able to do. To me, you're too fixated on it. But if it gives you a sense of normalcy and freedom I get it.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post

I get that the OP wants to participate in things he feels he should be able to do. To me, you're too fixated on it. But if it gives you a sense of normalcy and freedom I get it.
That's my point. He is too fixated and that just smells like trouble waiting to happen. Not trying to be judgy, just trying to get him to question why he is so fixated and to be weary about it ahead of time before he steps in it and finds himself in trouble all over again!
Old 10-30-2018, 10:38 PM

Just a recap and update on how it's going. As you all know I've emailed my PO a few times over the past couple months or so asking details about how it works when I get off. So far she has informed me that I will get a letter in the mail stating that I'm off and when I asked she said it should arrive within a few days of getting off. But in one of the emails I asked exactly when am I off and she has always said the 8th, but I've just been assuming the 8th was my last day and that I would actually be off paper on the 9th. But now that I look back at some of her replies it looks like I might actually be off paper on the 8th. So I emailed her again to ask. I know its just one day and I don't plan to drink or anything till I know I'm in the clear, probably by that week end when I plan to have a small get together to celebrate. But even being just one day I had to email her to ask because I need/want to know exactly when I'm off paper. It really looks like I might be off on the 8th. So I'm all for it being done a day sooner than I expected. I'm getting really close now.
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyBattleship For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-31-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 10:55 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

You might want to be careful hounding your PO over the issue.

Probably better to just stay completely off the radar until the time quietly passes, and wait for the paperwork in the mail before doing any celebrating.

Last thing you want is to keep reminding her of her charge. She may get irritated and decide to scrutinize your case more rigorously as your off-date approaches, and surprise you with some last-minute dramatics if you're not careful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-31-2018), RustyBattleship (10-31-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 AM

I made it! Yesterday was my last day on probation.
I even emailed my PO again to confirm once more and she said my probation has expired.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Congratulations, now the nightmare of the criminal punishment system is finally over.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Wink

Time to party like you're 21 again.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:48 PM

I must have forgotten how bad alcohol taste.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBattleship View Post
I must have forgotten how bad alcohol taste.

You should quit the stuff before you take a liking to it again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (Yesterday)