Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Default He's in RHU but not because he got in trouble

Hi ... Im new here.

After not hearing from my bf for about a week (we usually chat multiple times daily via GTL messaging), I received a letter from him telling me hes in RHU because someone wanted to stab him. Does it make sense that hed be placed there if he didnt do anything to warrant RHU? Hes at SCI Dallas. In advance, thanks to anyone who knows anything.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,145 Times in 1,827 Posts

Hi there and welcome to Prison Talk

While I am not personally familiar with the PA system, I do believe it is 'normal' that sometimes they can put inmates in segregation for their own safety.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:08 PM

Thank you, Sarianna :-) I’ve been so worried and his letters from there are trickling in.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:11 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,247 Posts

Hello and welcome to the Pennsylvania forum.

The DOC will always lock-up all participants in any conflict. They do this because they consider every conflict to be a "fight" unless a staff member witnesses it and states that there was clearly only one aggressor. In other words, unless a staff member is a witness AND that staff member says one person was clearly attacked without any provocation (hit from behind, e.g.,) the policy is to confine all participants during the investigation.

If the incident was caught on camera, then it may be enough to show he was attacked without provocation. if there's no evidence, then it will be considered a "fight" and both will be sanctioned.

DC-ADM-801 outlines the procedure for misconduct. He will be issued a DC-141, which will be checked as either a "Notice of Confinement" or a "Misconduct Report."

If it's a NOC, he is being held pending investigation. If he's cleared of wrongdoing, he'll be returned to population unless it's felt he is still at-risk, in which case he could be transferred. Obviously, being stabbed is quite serious.

If he's issued a Misconduct, he will go before a hearing examiner. He can appeal the adverse decision of the HE at three levels.

All of this takes time.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:48 AM

While not everyone in prison is in a gang...there are many gangs in prison.

If someone attempted to stab him and that other person ened up in the SHU and he didn't then that person's gang would feel that he "ratted" on the attacker. Now he faces further danger from the rival group for being a rat. Better for him if everyone keeps their mouth shut and let the investigation play out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-24-2019)