Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Default Credit Cards while incarcerated

Is there any way for my fiance to put his credit card payments on pause? I can't afford to keep making them, his family can't afford it...

Very frusterating because I told him to make paying it off a priority, I told him to take it out of his wallet and stop using it to spoil everyone with gifts.

He didn't get a self-surrender date, they just surprised us by taking him away when he signed. Now when he gets out his credit is just doomed to be screwed up?

Not only will we have problems with background check when finding an apartment, but credit checks too?!

I told him, he needs the good credit to make up for having a felony, but again, the guy doesn't listen.

"Real gold is not afraid of the test of fire."
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,321 Times in 12,336 Posts

He can check with the card issuers, but he shouldn't expect to receive any payment relief. My advice to you is do not make payments on any card that you are not liable for. If you continue to receive bills, write "he is in prison" and send them back. Since you aren't married, California's community property laws won't apply. If they did, you could be liable for one half.

He should also discuss his situation with a bankruptcy lawyer to learn his best course of action while he is in prison. Bankruptcy is not nearly as detrimental as it used to be. His bills will be forgiven, and his credit rating will recover quickly. In fact, one very well known politician (and probably other not so well known ones) has filed for bankruptcy numerous times.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:25 PM

How long is he in for? If he defaults on the cards and his sentence is around the 5-7 year mark, it may not be that big of a deal. The negative mark will fall off after 7 years from the date that caused the delinquency.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttexrbomb For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-20-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexrbomb View Post
How long is he in for? If he defaults on the cards and his sentence is around the 5-7 year mark, it may not be that big of a deal. The negative mark will fall off after 7 years from the date that caused the delinquency.

His sentence is 5 years, but with 80% and other credits, we are looking at 3.5-4 years.

I asked him to reach out to some family for help. It's not a ton of debt, but I've already got my own to worry about and I don't want him coming out with a bad credit score. Thank you!

"Real gold is not afraid of the test of fire."