Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:39 PM

Default Home confinement date?

I hope I got the correct terminology.
What is getting a home confinement date? And why is it considered important, yet doesn't mean anything?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinakid View Post
I hope I got the correct terminology.
What is getting a home confinement date? And why is it considered important, yet doesn't mean anything?
BOP's rules say you become eligible for home confinement during the last 10% of your sentence. So, if you got 10 years, they might let you serve that last year at home, under supervision.

Now, I wouldn't say this means nothing, but it does mean less than it seems. They're never REQUIRED to grant you any home confinement at all. But if the various bureaucrats, from your case manager to your warden are so inclined, they MIGHT.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,538 Times in 11,949 Posts

It is the date when they will be eligible for home confinement, which means only that, they are eligible. The bop can send inmates to "community corrections" in a half way house for up to one year, but home confinement is limited to a maximum of 6 months. The bop isn't required to allow any time in either status, and 10% of the original sentence is more likely.

Any time in community corrections occurs before the release/end of sentence date because they will still be in bop custody, just not living in a prison. The unit team case manager decides how much, if any, community corrections time they will offer.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,998 Times in 1,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mtg00 View Post
BOP's rules say you become eligible for home confinement during the last 10% of your sentence. So, if you got 10 years, they might let you serve that last year at home, under supervision.

Now, I wouldn't say this means nothing, but it does mean less than it seems. They're never REQUIRED to grant you any home confinement at all. But if the various bureaucrats, from your case manager to your warden are so inclined, they MIGHT.

Very few people get 1 year community confinement. The norm is 6 months, but that can be lowered at will. I think Congress cutting the BOP budget has caused the BOP bureaucrats to keep people inside longer as a way to try to get the budget restored ( but I'm cynical).
Old 12-11-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
Very few people get 1 year community confinement. The norm is 6 months, but that can be lowered at will. I think Congress cutting the BOP budget has caused the BOP bureaucrats to keep people inside longer as a way to try to get the budget restored ( but I'm cynical).
Agreed. I just picked 10 years as an easier way to illustrate the math. But the point is, BOP makes their own rules, and chooses how to apply them.

I believe, their funding formula is based on actual numbers of prisoners, so the sooner they release someone, the less budget they receive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 99mtg00 For This Useful Post:
bellisq (12-11-2018), fbopnomore (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,538 Times in 11,949 Posts

There must be a financial reason why the bop cheats every one of their quarter of a million prisoners out of one week of good time every year. The law says 54 days, but the bop's voodoo arithmetic decided that Congress didn't know what they were doing when they passed the law, and they must have meant 47 days instead.

Naturally the federal courts ruled that the bop has the authority; to do what? change the laws. Apparently the answer is yes.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:26 AM

I noticed the date given is almost 6 months to the date of release. I honestly don't expect her to get any of that 6 on home confinement. Maybe halfway house. But not at home. We learned real quick to expect the worst case scenario.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carolinakid For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-15-2018)